Baiting

I find it very interesting the thought of baiting yotes, I’m kinda jealous of those who can. In my country yotes really wont come to dead piles. Now I have seen the subordinate yotes eat off another’s kill but nothing that can be patterned. Here the alphas will only eat fresh kills they wont eat off it twice. Course our saying here is there is a meal under every bush. Even trapping its difficult to cuff one with a food lure or bait unless its a pup around dispersal time.

I don't know where you are in TX, but in Sabinal, TX they will eat everything from dead cows, deer, feral hogs. They consume it all. There won't hardly even be any blood left on the ground. The Night Crew show on TV shows them baiting with feral hogs and they have a parade of coyotes coming for weeks.

06, Thanks for sharing the video. That was a beautiful sunset. I had one run off this weekend too. My shot was about 200 yds with thermal, shooting off a tripod. Shot felt good and upon review it looks like i was holding right on front shoulder, but it took off running as if it was a clean miss.

David, I am with Owen, do a buzzard check. Thanks for the vid. My first thought was the gun is off, but you verified that was not the case.

I don't know where you are in TX, but in Sabinal, TX they will eat everything from dead cows, deer, feral hogs. They consume it all. There won't hardly even be any blood left on the ground. The Night Crew show on TV shows them baiting with feral hogs and they have a parade of coyotes coming for weeks.
Im in Sonora Texas roughly 2 hours away from Sabinal I used to be on a lease on the Anadale ranch. Also that’s where I started my guiding career 33 years ago with fin n fur outfitters on the trulove ranch. I have several friends that use bait piles. Even know trappers who catch tons of yotes off pig piles. Often I tell folks the yotes where I live are completely different coyotes then most. I think it’s often hard for people to comprehend the differences but that’s why I like to say all coyotes aren’t coyotes. Until someone has hunted them here, they wont understand. I came here from south Texas with experience on yotes, I got my backside handed to me. After 10 months here I wanted to quit and go back where coyotes acted like coyotes. Talked to an older trapper who is a friend and mentor. He said yep they’re a different beast but when you master them you’ll be able to go anywhere and be successful. Well 6 years now wouldn't say I’ve mastered them but I have learned how to shut down killing dogs.

Often I tell folks the yotes where I live are completely different coyotes then most. I think it’s often hard for people to comprehend the differences but that’s why I like to say all coyotes aren’t coyotes. Until someone has hunted them here, they wont understand. I came here from south Texas with experience on yotes, I got my backside handed to me. After 10 months here I wanted to quit and go back where coyotes acted like coyotes. Talked to an older trapper who is a friend and mentor. He said yep they’re a different beast but when you master them you’ll be able to go anywhere and be successful. Well 6 years now wouldn't say I’ve mastered them but I have learned how to shut down killing dogs.
Just curious, what area in S. Tx, Paul?
I didn't zero in on predators until 2003; shot a few targets of opportunity while deer hunting prior to that. In 2003 got on a lease in the RGV and got hooked on calling. The three ranches I've hunted coyotes, they were quite active scavengers to supplement their menu. Calling was always a bit more productive around the bone yards on two of the three ranches. The third one didn't seem to make much difference.
Do you think the difference might be the fact that sheep "are always looking for a place to die" :ROFLMAO: (easier prey)? We don't have any sheep down here.
Regards,
Clarence

I’ve literally been all over south Texas growing up there. Pleasanton jourdaton poteet Charlotte. Nixon Hondo I’ve guided quite a few places and all the way out in eagle pass Laredo few others I can’t come up with right now.

Really the only thing I can come up with on the dogs here is this. In the early years here coyotes were Eradicated here and surrounding counties so I’m told. Most of this country is rock so post holes have to be drilled. No place for yotes to dig in. Well when I took this job I was told historically trappers would kill 17-22 dogs a year. Well 10 months in id taken 12, but was seeing a crazy amount of sign. I closed my 1st year with 45. Ever since it’s been 67-76 a year. Helicopters fly here regular for pigs and coyotes at least twice a month. Well they’re becoming less effective both are learning to hold tight in the cedars. We really don’t have big numbers here, but numbers are increasing. There is absolutely no Competition for food it’s almost like they’re Conditioned to kill to eat. They wont eat pigs that have been shot. Also wont touch a deer hung in a fence. I know these goes against the norm and is difficult to believe. These dogs when seen are are gone after in some form or fashion. They are pursued every day of the year. Most ranchers make their living from stock sheep n goats and cattle most are large ranches and neighbors are large and raise the same stock. A yote sees another yote in a snare on the fence they learn to avoid fence snares. That’s why the topic of yotes intrigues me. Its also why I say all coyotes aren’t the same. I had planned to use this as a steeping stone for the learning curve. Right now at this place in time I have no plans to ever leave. This is a different world and very challenging.

Paul

A while back some one put up a post and I think the title was something like, is a coyote a coyote, as if to say, are coyotes alike in their ways regardless of where they are. That was/is an interesting read and some seemed amazed that a coyote would not eat a hog in some locations and in other locations they would. What I got out of that post and this one was along the line I stood by for a long time and that is, when you think you know all there is to know about coyotes, some new, unknown behavior shows up. Just as coyotes have learned to adapt, we must do the same if we are to be successful.

Recently killed two boars and put them in my usual spot.
Put a cell cam on them and had to set it for 60min during the day because of buzzards, and 0 seconds at night to catch any predators.
Buzzards don’t show up until about 0830 and leave about 1930. After 2 days they’d picked the hogs clean except for the hide. It almost looks like they skinned them and scraped them, lol.
For three straight nights I got 0 (zero) pics of predators at all. If buzzards don’t mess with the hogs they last for months just rotting in place. If coyotes would come to them I could have an awesome bait area, lol!!

I hear ya on the rock; hunted around Camp Wood a couple of years. Amazing how they ever got a fence up years ago in that country. Sounds like your coyotes live in a pressure cooker.
The ranches I hunt do have a retired state trapper year round; don't think he uses snares as I only ever saw one an any of the ranches. All hunters are eager to take a shot at any coyote they see while deer hunting, but no aerial hunting. Most coyotes we my hunting partner and I ever got in one year was either 36 or 39; we started counting on different days that year.:ROFLMAO:
Our coyotes would hit the bone yards regularly and we often caught them on dead critters. One Zebra accounted for three coyotes before it was devoured. Usually got several/year off of one boneyard by slipping into a brush line 300 yards across a roller chopped pasture before daylight and sniping them as soon as it was light enough to shoot.
No doubt coyotes do learn from their experience.

Today I put on my snake boots and did a walkabout on the steep hillside where the Little Runaway ran the other night. I searched high and low all the way to the bottom and found nothing. She may still be going for all I know. Anyway, I stayed at the shack once again last night, hoping her partner, the male might show up. He did around 0108 in the morning. I was using the Grendel and Pulsar Apex thermal again. The male was in the same spot where the female was standing when I shot. At least he didn't leave.

After I shot, he jumped and rolled down the hill a ways. This is where he landed, about 8-10 yards down the hill.

53968817527_17efd70fd3_b.jpg

You can barely see the impact on his shoulder. I wish I had hit about an inch more to the left and he would have dropped right there.

53969707541_a404f84df2_b.jpg

This is the exit - 90 gr. Varmageddon from the 6.5 Grendel

53969709016_521aa458a8_b.jpg

Could be, DoubleUp. That hillside is steep and thick. It's possible that coyote is piled up in some blowdowns or thick stuff. It could also be way on down the hollow too.

Thanks guys. It's possible that coyote is dead somewhere, but I searched a few acres of stuff like this and couldn't find it. I took these photos yesterday while searching.
It's like finding a needle in a haystack.

53971960456_2de4fc90be_b.jpg

53971090277_93398db182_b.jpg

Last edited:
Back