Baiting

Great video DU!!! Hard to beat the ole 22-250. Love that cal.

Welcome aboard nightshooter! Great to have ya! Great video. Yep, domestic dogs, gotta love em! How long have you been baiting, what neighborhood are you in? Need details, bait site, yardage, operation....you know, the suff man.

Thanks for the welcome. Hunting is organized totally differently here where I live. there are no large farms and large fields. most of the fields are a couple of hectares in size and we hunters have no obligation to ask the owners to hunt. all animals are the property of the state, which it transfers to hunting associations for management and protection.
I started baiting only recently. I used to hunt mostly by lamping but things change.
Land i hunt mostly look like this (looked from the satelite):

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-10-08-18-00-26-978-edit_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-10-08-18-00-26-978-edit_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 23
Welcome 88. Cant wait for more. That is some different landscape than where l hunt for sure. If you dont mind me asking, where do you call home?

I am from Serbia, a small country no less problematic than all others in the Balkans. My hunting ground is in the part of the country called Srem, near Belgrade and river Danube. If you wish to see a bit more of my hunting ground you can take a look on my youtube video

I know it is a bit speed up but you can slow it down in youtube :)

This is one of my baiting stations, which I placed in the hunting ground 4-5 days ago. the bait inside is pig fat, some freezed leftovers from last year that were not used. Unfortunately, the weather is not too warm at the moment for the smell to develop, and pork fat is difficult to spoil, so for now none of the predators have visited rhe station. I know that there are predators in that area for sure, a little patience and adding a litlebit smeellyer bait and they maybe will start visiting the station.
This was the only visiter

Attachments

• IMG_20240929_115637.jpg
    IMG_20240929_115637.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20241001_174344.jpg
    IMG_20241001_174344.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20241009_180137.jpg
    IMG_20241009_180137.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I have worked with and called friends a lot of "Serbs". There is a bar in a town close to me named "SERB'S" and a village called "Serbiantown" along the Monongahela River about 15 miles from me. Lots of Europeans ended up in our coal mines in SW PA in which I worked for over 40 years.

Spot, hope you have a great trip. Looking forward to your thermal videos.

Jmeddy, yes he was. Some coyotes are very skittish and others not. They are individuals with their own particular tolerances.

HM, I have had very good success with Varmageddons in the Grendel. Haven't tried them in any other caliber. The 55 Blitz Kings in the 6mm Remington are deadly too, drops them where they stand and no exit on broadside shots. Problem is Sierra isn't producing them right now. I have been waiting a good while for them. I have a few left, maybe 30 something loaded rounds and then I'm out. I do have some 55 Varmageddons in 6mm that I haven't tried yet.
I bought 55 SBK in bulk and have plenty on hand. Would happily put some in the mail if you PM me an address.

I was just a little too slow on a raccoon the other night so when the chime went off I thought he'd come back. Running a 223 with 35 gr Vmax for the little stuff and just sent it when I realized it was a coyote in the crosshairs. Intentionally held back off the shoulder a little. NV scope is the PARD 4k Nightstalker and that bait site is 85 yards out.

First shot did him in. Follow ups didn't cut hair. The cover pic is one our horses. I don't intend to run the 35 vmax for coyotes and used that pic so I could find the video down the road if I wanted to reference it.

Back