Baiting

I can't answer that question Week for down there. Up here, mid to late September the under fur is coming in and the guard hairs are lengthening. As I said before, shoot it when you can then tube skin, tan, and hang it the first chance you get-just might be the only one you get.

Hope everyone is doing well. It's been quite a while since posting but havent had much activity this summer. Wife fell and broke her ankle 4 months ago and am just now getting back to normal, which includes hunting nights when needed.

Little action last night

Hopefully the video and image post correctly. Looks like things have changed since I was last on as far as posting videos and images

Thought I made a pretty good shot, but he ran about 50 yards and into a creek bed. Was still alive 20 minutes later and even tried to bite the pup. Shot him in the head with suppressed 22 pistol to finish it. Tough animals for sure.

YOTE 080624.jpg

VIDEO

Hope your wife is on the mend. Mine fell a couple of months ago, nothing broken but lots of swelling in one knee. Was 6 weeks in rehab before back to normal.

Good to see somebody cash in Burns. My black one is still around for now.

yBISbYc.jpeg

Here in MN coyote,fox fully prime(leather blue gone) beginning Dec. Some look nice fur side late Oct. I have never seen a black color phrase here in Mn, occasionally a strawberry blonde(almost red fox like). Used to go north of the MN river, along the Dakota borders to shoot wheat fox. Red fox with wheat straw colored fur, they were also larger than Mn/Iowa reds.

Burn, I haven’t been checking in much lately. Just now saw your post. Sorry to hear about your wife. Hopefully she is on the mend. Good job on the coyote. Hopefully there’s many more to come.

Week, man you deserve that black coyote.

I have stayed three nights at the shack recently, mainly for fun and just hoping a coyote might show up. It’s been over a month since my last coyote photo.

Thanks Gents,

I havent been touching base here much either 6. Not sure if there are underlying issues with regards to that or what, but am glad I can touch base here when appropriate. I've noticed Korey Kirsh hasnt posted lately so there might be things going on I dont understand with regards to his absence.

Have a couple of troublesome coyotes that have been showing up a couple times each week. I'll get after them when I have time

Well, I officially began my coyote hunting for the season on the 22nd. I have been staying at the shack a few nights, mainly for the fun of it, but also hopeful a coyote might show up. It had been about a month since I had seen one. Around 0230 in the morning the alarm sounded. A coyote was at the 60 yard bait site but would not commit. She trotted off, up into the hay field and tall grass. I took the shot and dropped her at 122 yards with the Ruger American Predator 6mm Remington and a 55 gr. Blitz King at 3720 fps. The scope is my newest ATN 4k Pro digital, 5x20x. I really do like the 4k Pro despite ATN's reputation. This scope has been a good one, considering digital.

There was zero wind that night and as usual with digital scopes and no breeze, the white-out effect was bad and didn't allow me to see the coyote fall. I had no idea if I killed her or if it was a miss or wounded. I found her the next morning in the tall grass. There was no sign of her rolling around, and apparently she dropped on the spot as is usual with the 6mm. In usual fashion the Blitz King did not exit on the broadside shot. I hit her on the right side, just slightly high. I was sighted dead-on at 75 yards, so the bullet impacted just a tad bit high at 122 yards.

I got video but it was not good. I may add it to hopefully a future kill or two at a later time.

53942474712_3ddcbc1617_b.jpg

Off side - no exit

53943828545_8ba2fb08b8_b.jpg

53942474707_9f56e0516f_b.jpg

Bullet Impact at arrow. Barely visible.

53943813855_20814dc641_b.jpg

Ruger American Predator 6mm Remington, ATN 4k Pro 5-20x digital.

52920361592_707075465f_b.jpg

I admit that I am still not used to this new forum format. I posted this in a separate topic without realizing. I guess I'm an old dog and having a hard time learning new tricks. I also tried to bold the wording and it won't let me. As well, I have had nothing but problems this evening with Flickr too. New format and having to learn all over again.

Last edited:
Way to go, bold it is. I keep thinking about winter(my blind hunting period). I think I going to put the new thermal back on my TC dimension 204R and shoot the BIB bullets this winter.

Dave, looks like you got it figured out, but if you click the B above text block, everything you type will be bold. If you already have typed something and wish to embolden, just highlight the desired text and click on the B. If you embolden part of a sentence and wish to go back to normal, just click the B again to continue.

HM, I have done "bold" quite a lot over the years, but this time after I highlighted the wording, the Bold icon at the top was faded and wouldn't work. Strange, but I kept fiddling with it and got it somehow.

Thanks, Burn. It's been a work in progress. This is my 13th season baiting from the shack.

Congratulations 6 and Burn on your coyotes. Burn, sorry to hear about your wife's ankle, but it seems like she is close to fully recovered now. As to Korey Kirschenmann, he quit posting on PM when Night Goggles and TNVC pulled their advertising. It was a terrible loss for PM as he was always working to help everyone with thermal issues.

Last edited:
Back