Trail Cam Pics?

I live/hunt in an area with a very high deer density. I always have people asking to go hunting with me. I usually tell them, I will take you and you can shoot as many does as you legally can. They always reply, "what about bucks". Then I say, nope, no bucks. That usually ends the conversation pretty quick. I'm not spending all that money for land, seeds, tractor, fuel, etc. to just let everyone come and kill my bucks.
I live/hunt in an area of fluctuating deer densities. Rising mostly with mild winters the last few years. I have limited amounts of private that I can actually take others along to hunt. But if I do, I want them to be as successful as possible and kill whatever they want legally. If a doe makes them happy, fine with me. If the buck of their dreams strolls by I want them to go home with their buck of a lifetime! I would rather see a good friend be successful than someone on the next property over that may or may not be as appreciative of what they got. As far as money and work involved in plots etc. It’s just part of it. We do what we can to hold deer. But at the end of the day, we don’t own them.

Different strokes for different folks I guess?

I live/hunt in an area of fluctuating deer densities. Rising mostly with mild winters the last few years. I have limited amounts of private that I can actually take others along to hunt. But if I do, I want them to be as successful as possible and kill whatever they want legally. If a doe makes them happy, fine with me. If the buck of their dreams strolls by I want them to go home with their buck of a lifetime! I would rather see a good friend be successful than someone on the next property over that may or may not be as appreciative of what they got. As far as money and work involved in plots etc. It’s just part of it. We do what we can to hold deer. But at the end of the day, we don’t own them.

Different strokes for different folks I guess?

If they are a good friend they are more than likely helping you with the land and I have no problem with that.

If they are a good friend they are more than likely helping you with the land and I have no problem with that.
Well, maybe? More likely is that whomever it is just happen to be good people that I feel safe hunting with. I don’t, and won’t hunt with just anyone. I know many people in my life that I call friends, or are family that I just won’t hunt with for various reasons. Most likely, if you are on my hunting partner list, you are a pretty close friend or family member. No need to have contributed directly to hunting land preparations. Most have contributed in my life in some other meaningful way, or I’m simply trying to contribute to theirs.

I live/hunt in an area with a very high deer density. I always have people asking to go hunting with me. I usually tell them, I will take you and you can shoot as many does as you legally can. They always reply, "what about bucks". Then I say, nope, no bucks. That usually ends the conversation pretty quick. I'm not spending all that money for land, seeds, tractor, fuel, etc. to just let everyone come and kill my bucks.
For just that reason right there I will go hunt with friends, but will not shoot their deer. I go just to sit where they tell me and “scout” lol. One landowner asked one year if I owned any bullets? I’ve hunted with the guy that has taken me for 11 years and refuse to pull the trigger. I KNOW what it “costs” to grow big bucks. Besides I have bucks to hunt already.
With that said, don’t turn me loose on your turkeys and say shoot all you want.

For just that reason right there I will go hunt with friends, but will not shoot their deer. I go just to sit where they tell me and “scout” lol. One landowner asked one year if I owned any bullets? I’ve hunted with the guy that has taken me for 11 years and refuse to pull the trigger. I KNOW what it “costs” to grow big bucks. Besides I have bucks to hunt already.
With that said, don’t turn me loose on your turkeys and say shoot all you want.
To each their own Spurchaser. A couple things in your post stand out to me though…

You say you will not shoot “their” deer because you know what it “costs” to grow big bucks. But you have a friend that has invited you to hunt for 11 seasons.

Given your comments, perhaps your friend cares more about his friendship with you than his monetary investment in deer management? There’s still a few of us old schoolers out there!

I personally wish things were like they were when I started hunting at age 14. There was a camaraderie amongst everyone that hunted. Landowners were more willing to let anyone hunt. There were more hunters overall.

41 years later and it’s a cut throat situation where properties and even the animals we hunt are treated as some sort of personal commodity. My personal hunting grounds. My deer. Me me me! It’s sad.

If you have someone in your life that wants to share the resources that they’ve invested in, don’t waste the offer by thinking you’re taking away from them. They want you to take advantage of what they have, or they wouldn’t have asked you to take part.

Last edited:
To each their own Spurchaser. A couple things in your post stand out to me though…

You say you will not shoot “their” deer because you know what it “costs” to grow big bucks. But you have a friend that has invited you to hunt for 11 seasons.

Given your comments, perhaps your friend cares more about his friendship with you than his monetary investment in deer management? There’s still a few of us old schoolers out there!

I personally wish things were like they were when I started hunting at age 14. There was a camaraderie amongst everyone that hunted. Landowners were more willing to let anyone hunt. There were more hunters overall.

41 years later and it’s a cut throat situation where properties and even the animals we hunt are treated as some sort of personal commodity. My personal hunting grounds. My deer. Me me me! It’s sad.

If you have someone in your life that wants to share the resources that they’ve invested in, don’t waste the offer by thinking you’re taking away from them. They want you to take advantage of what they have, or they wouldn’t have asked you to take part.

My main point is the people who always seem to pop up during deer season and want to hunt, but are nowhere to be found during the summer whenever it's working season. They always have a ball game to attend to. I have a few buddies that we can all on each other whenever needed and we help each other out. If it's one of them I have no issue with telling them to shoot whatever they want as long as it's within the age range we try to shoot in my area.

As for the does. Again, it's always the people who come up and say they "just want some meat" yet decline to come whenever I tell them they can come, but only shoot does.

Call me mean, greedy, whatever ya want, but I spend thousands of dollars a year on leases, corn, seeds, lime, fertilizer, etc. Not to mention the up keep on a tractor. Whenever something breaks on a tractor it's usually $500+. Especially if it's green and yellow.

Another big thing you have to worry about here in the South is people trying to get your leases from under you. Most land owners around here are pretty loyal as long as they think they are getting a fair price and you are taking care of the land. However, some just care about money especially the timber companies.

My main point is the people who always seem to pop up during deer season and want to hunt, but are nowhere to be found during the summer whenever it's working season. They always have a ball game to attend to. I have a few buddies that we can all on each other whenever needed and we help each other out. If it's one of them I have no issue with telling them to shoot whatever they want as long as it's within the age range we try to shoot in my area.

As for the does. Again, it's always the people who come up and say they "just want some meat" yet decline to come whenever I tell them they can come, but only shoot does.

Call me mean, greedy, whatever ya want, but I spend thousands of dollars a year on leases, corn, seeds, lime, fertilizer, etc. Not to mention the up keep on a tractor. Whenever something breaks on a tractor it's usually $500+. Especially if it's green and yellow.

Another big thing you have to worry about here in the South is people trying to get your leases from under you. Most land owners around here are pretty loyal as long as they think they are getting a fair price and you are taking care of the land. However, some just care about money especially the timber companies.
Whoa!… first things first… To each their own. You do what you do man. And I’m not calling anyone mean, greedy or anything else.

My main point to Spurchaser is that he has a friend that consistently invites him to hunt his property, but he feels he shouldn’t shoot the man’s deer. Why would someone invite you to hunt 11 seasons if they didn’t want you to enjoy the hunt?

We all have our reasons buddy. The people that constantly dodge helping but want to reap the benefits… I get it. I would do the same. Your friends that consistently are there for you whether it be helping or just someone you can count on to be a friend is a different story.

IMG_0063.jpeg
To try and get things back on the rails, here’s a couple pics for Spurchaser 😉 Boys will be boys! Fighting and arguing while the girl they’re trying to impress quietly slips away!
IMG_0058.jpeg

Whoa!… first things first… To each their own. You do what you do man. And I’m not calling anyone mean, greedy or anything else.

My main point to Spurchaser is that he has a friend that consistently invites him to hunt his property, but he feels he shouldn’t shoot the man’s deer. Why would someone invite you to hunt 11 seasons if they didn’t want you to enjoy the hunt?

We all have our reasons buddy. The people that constantly dodge helping but want to reap the benefits… I get it. I would do the same. Your friends that consistently are there for you whether it be helping or just someone you can count on to be a friend is a different story.

That' wasn't directed at you. Was a "in general" statement. Sorry if it seemed that way.

I understand what you are saying and I agree. If I invited someone that many times then it would obviously be someone I trusted and considered more than just an invite. I also see where Spur is coming from. Heck, I just like to be invited to hunt with other people just for the change of scenery. You can also learn things. I've never had rabbit dogs, but I love rabbit hunting. I had this PRIME piece of rabbit property so I would tell a guy I know that he could bring his dogs and hunt it, but I had to be here. I didn't even take a gun until he asked me to because often times we would need all the guns we could get to try to stop the dogs. Man I miss that property. The most we ever got in one hunt was 25 and that was just 4 guns. Talk about a fun day.

You better enjoy those turkeys while you can. South Carolina's turkey population has taken a very hard turn for the worse.

Yes my friend invites me KNOWING I ain’t gonna shoot. He says one day a buck I can’t resist will walk out, lol. Deer are great. Big old bucks are awesome. Too me turkeys are “awesomer” lol. Every landowner I trap for has offered me any deer on their property to shoot, lol.

And sticking with pics…pretty sure this is the buck I’ve been waiting on. Just got his pic yesterday evening.
IMG_9063.jpeg

41 years later and it’s a cut throat situation where properties and even the animals we hunt are treated as some sort of personal commodity.
+1 Back in the day (1950's,,,,,), landowners were more willing to let anyone hunt on their property, but people were more responsible and respected the landowner's property back then. Today, there are a lot more slobs out there that ruin it for the rest of us by leaving gates open, driving on mud roads leaving ruts for the farmer to deal with, leaving their litter behind, and yes, even shooting up windmills, water tanks, etc. Can't really blame landowners for being reluctant to let folks on their property.

+1 Back in the day (1950's,,,,,), landowners were more willing to let anyone hunt on their property, but people were more responsible and respected the landowner's property back then. Today, there are a lot more slobs out there that ruin it for the rest of us by leaving gates open, driving on mud roads leaving ruts for the farmer to deal with, leaving their litter behind, and yes, even shooting up windmills, water tanks, etc. Can't really blame landowners for being reluctant to let folks on their property.
Agree with all you said.

To add to it, and go along with what DoubleLungRage has eluded to, leasing land for hunting rights has had a huge impact. I don’t think it was even a thing when I was a kid? Again, you can’t blame a farmer for making a few bucks with all they face just to stay afloat. But it has surely made access tougher for the masses. It’s becoming a rich man’s sport.

Back in the day we bought $5 permits to hunt thousands of acres of timber company land. The timber companies figured out they could divide that up and up the price. Landowners took notice and figured they could make a buck or two. I’ve seen land get leased as cheap as $10ac all the way to $40ac. All depends on location and amenities. Just thankful I have access to the lands I have access to.

And that is the painful truth........

It's even trickier up in the north. There is laws against leasing land for hunting rights so many farmers up here shut it all down completely because of a few bad eggs. Few years back one of the biggest ranchers in the area known for his fairness to hunters shut everything down cause some moron thought it would be fun to shoot his cattle.

Back