2nd annual ohio hunt 2010

Guys, I was out in the area all afternoon scouting......... not hide nor hair anywhere... not even three big piles of fresh scat going into one particular area...... There werent post markings on pretty much anything considered high ground.... and they dont have any clearcuts ate up with tracks...... y'all probly should put this off for another time........

Seriously, if someone doesnt connect this weekend on at least two or three, Im gonna have to admit those western guys might just be better than us.

We hunted quite a bit today and came up empty handed. Saw a ton of sign. The place was full of rabbit hunters. We had a group with dogs come in on us and start shooting. I hunted with CoyoteX and his son Adam, Mike2, BamBam and Tony. We had a great time running around. We never heard from anyone else to know how they did. We will get a few more of the bugs worked out for next year. It was nice to see Jim(frogman) too. I wish I could have stayed longer to meet the other guys.
I want to thank Rick(coyotex) for all the hard work he put into this hunt. We couldn't have done it without you Bro!!!
Thanks!!!
Dusty

I wanted to meet all of you but had truck issues, went to grandparents in vinton county and called one in on saturday morning bout 745am but couldnt get a shot at him, he came out at about 200 yds on a logging road and then went backinto the woods never to be seen again.Its tough I know that!

Hey guys,

My schedule kept me from making it to Zaleski til Saturday evening. I didn't get to hunt with the guys on Saturday. I did stay over in the cabin with hopes of getting in some stands Sunday 1/24/10. Unfortunatly when I woke up Sunday morning it was to thunder and rain???

Here are some photos at the cabin taken on Saturday evening . . .

100_3543.jpg

These guys were heading out to check a hog bait pile.

Here are some shots of the interior of the cabin coyotex reserved for the group. It was very nice.

100_3545.jpg

Had a living room with TV and a satilite feed!! Afull kitchen with all the pots and pans etc.

100_3546.jpg

Coyotex fixed four chickens over charcoal in coffee cans??? We ate really well on Saturday evening! I understand that the Friday evening meal was excellent as well! Coyotex is welcome on any hunting trips I go on!!

100_3547.jpg

100_3549.jpg

100_3550.jpg

Here is coyotex this morning trying to get a shot at a crow wearing his PJs???

100_3553.jpg

Finally his son Adam connected for our only hero pic . . .

100_3555.jpg

This area is only 45 minutes away from my home. I really enjoyed renewing my aquaintence with some of the guys I met at the Zaleski hunt last year. Also enjoyed talking to some of the new guys.

Thanks to coyotex and anyone else who helped organize this hunt!! I enjoyed sharing an evening and morning with some dedicated coyote hunters. Just wish the weather would have been better on Sunday!!

Hopefully some of the other guys will chime in with details and pictures of the stands they did Saturday morning!!

Jim

Frogman you are the man ,,thanks for posting those pics!(coulda left the jammie pants pic out)I wish we coulda hunted sunday also,,,,no matter what you say that howling sounded real good and got responded too.Hope you have success at your next hunt,it was a pleasure hanging with you,,and we will hunt soon.....Dusty,,,I had a great time hunting with ya saturday,,and thanks for doing the calling,,it sounded great(reminds me of how much practice i need)...I wil need it for our southern ohio predator guide service...lol

Also want to thank Mike(Mike2)for the info on the cabins,,food and the help w/preparations..,,Kevin(Lennyzrx) and his buddy Bill who helped with the food costs,,great meeting you guys.

And Dave(Bambambam)and his buddy Tony for all the help with clean up after dinners, and before leaving,,and the food they brought and bought...

To all of you guys it was my pleasure hanging out with ya and rooming with ya...i would do it again,without a thought.

Adam (my son)also had a blast and enjoyed hunting with you all,and thanks tony for the knife!..it will help skin all the ground squirrels,,field mice and anything else furry that gets in front of his rifle........THANKS AGAIN GUYS...................................................................X

Tony and I are new to pred. hunting and we had an absoulate blast! We are all ready looking foward to next year and hoping we can get a hunt together like this in the summer.It was really great to meet all of you guys.If I am ever in the market for hand calls Dusty in the man to get them from.The sounds he made out of those calls were just amazing.Thanks again Rick for showing us such a good time.Awsome pics Jim I really like the pj one!We also ate like KINGS Rick is a very good cook.

Last edited:
I wish I could have stayed later and spent more time hanging out. We forgot to mention that we did call in that beaver. Hey, it was SOMETHING!!! At least Adam got to shoot something. I was getting worried about him for a while.
BTW, BamBam, I have already downed a tube of those Pringles
tt1.gif

Yes that beaver was touched by an angel,,,chewing on that green limb right next to me,better grow up to be a state record or something...lol . btw, dusty ive got your shooting sticks in my jeep,,,whenever ya need em.....X

had a great time and enjoyed meeting you guy's. coyotex made some great food.

Big thank's to coyotex for doing all the work getting the cabins and setting it up for bill and I.

Those Cabins were top notch!

It sounds like a good time was had. Very cool.
I like the Zaleski area. My buddy and I camped down there for a week at a time the past couple of February's looking for hogs.
Good luck fella's.

Man, where to start??? First off- good seeing you guys.

All I can say is wow!?!?!?! where in the world all these other outdoorsman came from is beyond me. We had bunny hunters, treehugggers and hog runners around every bend. All the spots I intended to call ion the state forest area had fresh tire tracks comin out of it. Big disapointment. We did have one set where rooster had a gray fox come in on him, so, I guess it wasnt a total loss.

My honey hole turned up zilch despite the extremely fresh sign we saw, but a phone call from a guy that lives on that lane explained to me that he wasnt surprised we didnt see anything. Said his son was out there on thursday and had call tape playing for 4 hours straight and nothing came in. That would have been good info before we set out. I guess.

We hunted hard till 3:00 pm and then took Caribou back to his vehicle, got ready for the night hunting and decided with the wind picking up and changin directions so much, that it was better left for another day.

Coyotex- did you guys hit that area by moonville I showed you??

I would like to Thank CoyoteX for all the work he put into this. Hope to hunt with ya in a few weeks if time allows.
Like to thank Lennyzrx for the scope review (he has enough scopes to stock a Gander Mountain)
Dustin for all the work he put into trying to put us on some yotes.
and now a few pictures
Including Ohio's most dedicated Coyote hunter (all yea Adam it is coming)
coy6.jpg

us getting ready to make a stand
coy2.jpg

Tony getting some pointers on how to make Chillicothe chicken
coy5.jpg

Chillicothe chicken doing it's thing

Good job on the pics mike,,,I noticed in the getting ready for the stand pic,,dusty and I blend in really good,,,like we only show up in black and white lol,,really cool.

Yotenaylor, we stayed mostly around the moonville area that morning ,,used the natural lay of the land for our set ups,,where we could not get backdoored..then that evening we set up once in the 80 acres behind our cabin,,,had one yote answer the howling.

That night while the other guys were watching over the hog bait frogman ,kevin ,bill and i were out on the deck,frogman let out some good sounding howls,,,and a group of 3 or more yotes went crazy,,right where we had called that afternoon...and Tony heard hogs on the ridge behind the hog bait, but the didnt come down.............X

coyotex, maybe mike2 thinks you guys may need to get some sun?
the hogs Tony heard was probably from his stomach,

Last edited:
great pic's Mike. I'd really did'nt think we should have brought the glass up to coyotex's cabin so everyone could compare them.

It's always interesting as you'll sure get differant opinions on scopes when more people are involved.

Hey maybe next year!

frogman had the yotes talkin on coyotex's porch for sure.

Back