One cartridge.

Like many of you, I've hunted them with everything from a 17 Rem. to 308 Win. There really are too many external factors to say which is better. For the fur hunters, when fur was worth something, the smaller calibers were less likely to destroy pelts. For the contest hunters and control guys, instant killing is the ticket, so the bigger bores have lots of appeal. I like the stopping power and range of the big 22's like the 250, etc. or the 6 mm bores like the 243. Then again eastern hunters may need a different weapon than the long-range western hunters. My hunting is almost exclusively at night, and I really like the AR platform for that. Plus, I reload everything, and plentiful brass is readily available for the 223. Same can be said for the 6x45 which has a little more horsepower. I had been shooting my 22-250 bolt-action (Savage 18" barrel suppressed) with good results but have currently switched back to the AR (Stag) in 223 Wylde chambering with a 16" Satern barrel suppressed. It handles so well with the suppressor, allows instant follow-ups, and doesn't cost an arm and leg to reload. Night calling, I seldom have a need to shoot over 200 yds. and usually much closer. Is it perfect, obviously not, but it does get the job done rather well (when I do my part.)

Farmers, or ranchers? I'm seeing a trend here in MI where crop farmers are actually starting to not allow coyote hunters because the coyote kills turkeys and deer, and that's what they really want killed.
Same here on sod farms. Shoot all the rabbits you want but leave the coyotes alone.

Doubleup,

I need you to know, I am not, nor have I ever been, a 'Karen', and I don't want this to come across as me being a 'Karen'.

It has to do with the use of the word 'weapon' in your post.

The Left has taken good words and bastardized them for their use, and we, myself included, use their version of the words too often.

The word 'Weapon' has such a negative context vs. gun or firearm.

Britannica definition: weapon, an instrument used in combat for the purpose of killing, injuring, or defeating an enemy.

Again, I have no intention of being a word Nazi or Karen, but words do matter and they mean something.

I've killed more coyotes and predators in general with a .223 than anything else I've ever used. So I would have to say I'd take a .223 for an all around varmint/predator cartridge if I only had to choose one. It's easy on fur and kills em dead.

If saving fur wasn't an issue, .243 would be my pick.

Doubleup,

I need you to know, I am not, nor have I ever been, a 'Karen', and I don't want this to come across as me being a 'Karen'.

It has to do with the use of the word 'weapon' in your post.

The Left has taken good words and bastardized them for their use, and we, myself included, use their version of the words too often.

The word 'Weapon' has such a negative context vs. gun or firearm.

Britannica definition: weapon, an instrument used in combat for the purpose of killing, injuring, or defeating an enemy.

Again, I have no intention of being a word Nazi or Karen, but words do matter and they mean something.
K-22, Okay, Lol!

I believe the 6mm diameter bullet, whether it"s a 6x45, 243, 6mm Remington or whatever is an ideal coyote bullet for most hunting. However, I have used a variety of calibers and all with good success. I remember several years ago when DoubleUp and I both purchased CZ 527 rifles in 17 Remington chambering around the same time and from the same vendor. We both had very good success with those rifles shooting those tiny little 25 gr bullets. We both shoot 6x45's too and again have dropped coyotes without any problem. He has used 22 caliber chamberings more than I have and killed a lot of coyotes with them. My 22 caliber use has been limited to only a few from my AR. I tend to grativate toward something a bit heavier and find the 6mm Remington to be pure death when shooting 55 gr. Sierra Blitz Kings from a bait site where I can pick and choose my shot placement. I have used a 6.5 Grendel quite a bit too with 90 Varmageddons. I like it. And, I have used a 308 with 110 gr. Varmageddons for a few coyotes. This year I have a brand new 25-06 and Infiray Bolt to enjoy. The bullet for that one will be a 70 gr. Sierra Blitz King. Like some others, I get bored using the same thing over and over. Now I will circle back around to the main question of One Cartridge and what would I use. My first choice is a 6mm Remington. Since I handload it's not a problem to find a good load. Secondly my choice would be a 243. Again, my personal thoughts are that a 6mm bullet is about ideal. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
6mm-06…get some 90 grain Sierra’s for that 25-06! HP or green tips. Either one will work. They shoot in every 25-06 I have and are devastating!

That said , my other calibers are 223 , 224 Valkyrie , 25-45 Sharps , and a 7mm-08 but the go to is always a 9 twist 22-250 with 60+ grain bullets.

El Jefe, thanks for the advice. I actually have some 90 gr. Blitz Kings and they shot good. I like velocity and decided to give the 70’s a try. To my surprise and delight they shoot tiny groups. The 24” barrel is doing slightly over 3400 fps with the 70 Blitz Kings and H4831.

We have used 30-06, .308, .243, 6.5 Creed, 22-250, .223 Rem and .204 Ruger(Puts serious smack on Yotes when up close).
But when all is said and done, we keep coming back to the good ole .223. Maybe its just because of the efficiency AR platform.

Back