One cartridge.

That's a tough question because I enjoy messing around with new rounds/rifles. Load development and tinkering is part of what I enjoy about it. With that said, If I had to choose one, like my life depended on it, I'd say .243 or 22-250, yet I currently don't hunt with either one! :ROFLMAO: They are just proven rounds that work. I think if it was a pick one round to kill a coyote tonight or else, I'm not taking any chances and grabbing a .243.

Now if I'm just picking one out of what I currently have, I have to go with the 6.5 Creedmoor. I currently have a 6mm ARC but haven't hunted with it yet and the 6.5 AR10 has been great for me the past 3 years.

If I had to choose just one it would be my 22-204 (222 Rem Mag Improved) with 40gr NBTs. It is my go-to pelt hunting rifle for 20yrs. When I get in a slump I grab it and it brings me out. It just plain does the job. I'm bringing my stock of of loaded ammo back up to 100 rounds right now.

OVER/under with 12 gauge on top and 223 under.....that's if only one rifle and you can find it. I'm currently running a 243 and my grandson runs 6x6.8 SPC.
Waiting on stuff to come in for a 22 Creedmoor build, and it will have to prove itself to dethrone the 243

Thought about getting into some of these other cartridges and maybe if I lived in a different part of the US then I might, but for me it’s way overkill I know, but I go with the .308. I don’t want to have to switch rifles for hogs or coyotes and want to know if I hit it, it’s going down. Gotta have pics to get paid, lol.

Thought about getting into some of these other cartridges and maybe if I lived in a different part of the US then I might, but for me it’s way overkill I know, but I go with the .308. I don’t want to have to switch rifles for hogs or coyotes and want to know if I hit it, it’s going down. Gotta have pics to get paid, lol.
Nothing wrong with that. I used a 308 for 5 years but now that I have places to hunt where shots can be 300 plus yards, I hunt with a 243. The 243 and 308 does make a mess of things when they come in under 100 yds though.

Last edited:

One thing I like about my RA Predator 6.5cm is that the 95gr vmax and 140gr normal whitetail's fly the same except for the vmax's shoot little flatter. So I can easily switch from coyotes to pigs and not have to worry about anything.

Nothing wrong with that. I used a 308 for 5 years but now that I have places to hunt where shots can be 300 plus yards, I hunt with a 243. The 243 and 308 does make a mess of things when they come in under 100 yds though.
Yeah, I have to do some serious posing and placing things for pic purposes. Hogs ain’t too bad, but coyotes rarely are easy pics. Most managers/landowners don’t care, but I still try and keep them tasteful.

6mm Rem. If you're not a reloader, .243 is probably better. Way back when, my buddy used a .270 at night. He hated looking for downed coyotes. He said they were easier to find at night cause there was still fur floating in the air.

Back