Making stands

Lazer32

Hello everyone,
All these recent videos have been awesome to see. I've made 5 night stands since the 1st of the month. I haven't seen or heard them but I want to as many stands as possible before archery season starts October 1st. Keep the videos coming and hopefully I can add one soon. Thanks.

Hello everyone,
All these recent videos have been awesome to see. I've made 5 night stands since the 1st of the month. I haven't seen or heard them but I want to as many stands as possible before archery season starts October 1st. Keep the videos coming and hopefully I can add one soon. Thanks.

It's been slow here too. Not only me, buy most people I have spoken with.

Hello everyone,
Pretty slow here in Michigan I mainly hunt weekends due to fact I work days not much time left after work keep after them you’ll get one to come in good luck

i might suggest not to hit the same stands, at the same time, with the same sounds, from the same spot, every time you go. they'll get used to that.
also if the wind changes direction and its going directly to where the coyotes are or suppose to be, just back out and come back another day.

you can also circle back and hit the same spot later on if the wind is still good. they could simply not be at some of these places at the time you go there.

be as quiet as you possibly can and make sure the dome light on your vehicle is turned off. if your car honks or beeps when you lock the doors electronically, lock it by hand.

Hello everyone,
Just curious, how many spots do you call each night you hunt ?

1 . I don't like to hit the same spots too regularly. I also don't have access to many private spots and I dont want to over call them.
if you have any farms in your area, stop and ask if you can hunt groundhogs and predators, even if its posted.

most properties are posted against deer and turkey hunting but once they find out you want to shoot the predators that kill their turkeys and deer, they mostly say YES.

especially dairy farmers, they hate groundhogs in the hay fields, so do soybean farmers.

most properties are posted against deer and turkey hunting but once they find out you want to shoot the predators that kill their turkeys and deer, they mostly say YES.
I would have agreed with this 15 - 20 years ago, but around me, with the increase of the popularity of calling predators, it’s no longer so easy. It’s a struggle to find ground. When you find it, you better go above and beyond to hold onto it! That said, you don’t know until you ask. Gotta knock on doors or hang out where the farmers hang out.

Y’all doing good making stands now. Our weather has been wet and rainy since September started. I went out the other night with all intentions of looking for hogs and making a couple stands and 97% humidity doesn’t even make it worth it. I should’ve noticed when you can see moisture in the air with headlights that it’s going to make for horrible scanning. The deer I saw stood out, but I couldn’t even make out landmarks 150yds out.
I figured instead of possibly educating something, I’d just wait for some drier conditions unless I absolutely know where they are.

Made a stand tonight. Heard them when I used some coyote vocals but I wasn't in an ideal position with all the moonlight. I moved to a more favorable position but they never answered me again. I suspect they might have seen me. It's a start and I'm gonna give it a bit before I go back and call from a different location. How soon would you all go back?

I've noticed a lot of changes in the crop fields around here recently. It seems like the fields that were once overgrown with tall weeds or crops that had coyotes are now bare and empty. I spent a full night and half of the next night hunting, but I didn't spot a single coyote in the fields or being active under the bright moon.

The landscape has really transformed in the past few weeks.I tried different vantage points like oil tank batteries, hills, and corner posts to get a good view and maybe spot some coyotes to move on or call. However, the only animals I saw being active were deer, rabbits, raccoons, skunks, and armadillos. It occurred to me that if the coyotes aren't out and about, they're probably layed up in the areas that haven't been plowed up.

I changed my tactics and started making slower, longer stands, focusing on the edges of cover, creeks, drainage ditches, and ponds. I made sure not to rush and took my time to set up properly. I stayed on each stand for at least 21 to 30 minutes, being very picky about where I setup. I hunted until exhaustion and got 16.

I changed my tactics and started making slower, longer stands, focusing on the edges of cover, creeks, drainage ditches, and ponds. I made sure not to rush and took my time to set up properly. I stayed on each stand for at least 21 to 30 minutes, being very picky about where I setup. I hunted until exhaustion and got 16.
Excellent observations and insight Jeremy! It makes perfect sense with the rapidly changing conditions, that you would see changes in activity behavior and response behavior.

As the season progresses and the coyotes settle into these “newer” living conditions, have you noticed any sort of time frame to where they settle back in (adapt) to a more relaxed or typical pattern? Or will you continue to deal with this pattern until the next big change?

We’re about to double down on the changing environment with not only the seasonal change, crops harvested etc, but deer seasons are about to kick in from Oct 1st, thru to January in one form or another. The concentrated human presence always has an impact. I don’t hunt daytime coyotes often, but I never bother during the day during deer season. Nighttime is by far more productive during these times.

Back