Different results - heres why

Some great analogies being presented here. Great point pwsamiam.

I really liked that high pitched pinched fart sound, I could hear it in my mind.

I am hiking and find an intesection of 3 logging roads littered with fresh coyote tracks. Good spot. Nice alfalfa field about 200 yards southeast of me.

Here is where the expert/novice thing comes into play. Novice remembers spot, comes back in to area at daybreak without regard to the wind or his entrance, sets his Ecaller out in a place he can see, and lets fly. He may kill a few coyotes this way.

This is what a more experienced caller might do..... He thinks about the prevailing wind ALL THE TIME. How will this affect his entrance route? First he finds an area that gives him some open shootin downwind. He may even place a treestand among deer runs, knowing that he has shot most his coyotes traveling them to his call.

Next he ponders the wind again, and decides that if he wears his felt soled waders he can wade the stream that runs down to the alfalfa field up to his stand. This is great, because he is walking into the wind, up a stream to his stand, which is located about 2 steps off the stream. Nice stone wall with a couple breaks in it boost his confidence, as well as a small valley running from North to South in front of him.

Very little forest disruption. To enter the forest this way takes him about an extra 45 minutes, as he must park well away and walk a strech of road and field. He knows thats an hour and a half for a ten minute stand, but knows his chances are best, and he WILL NOT hunt here with a bad wind. No matter what.

Be honest boys ........ which man above describes you best ?

Everyone sees the forest differently, but a "gimmee" set up sticks out to me like one of those new green school buses.

What I don't think about is AR or bolt, Ecall or hand call, cover scents, or my job when I'm hunting. That stuff is fun to talk about here, but doesn't matter in real life . Just how do I get to that high percentage spot without a coyote that may be there not smelling or hearing me. I am obsesed with the wind, where I put my feet on the way in, and my stand location. I know coyote (especially young ones) give up the wind alot, but I always err on the side of caution.I work on it whenever life gives me a chance.

Sorry some of you boys take offense to my lazy comment. If it doesn't apply to you ..... RELAX.

But NOW is the time to get those stands up (yes the coyotes are in the same place as last year), and go knock on the door of that farm where you just saw 2 nice coyotes standing in the cut hay. Maybe you gotta split some wood to hunt there ........... it will be worth it.

Sometimes lazy just isn't the actual act of hunting. Lots of things to line up before you ever blow a call. Actually, blowin the call isn't even that important ..... most sounds work fine.

Again, if it doesn't apply, relax /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Really all I'm trying to do is to get Eastern folks to not expect so much from themselves until they have been at it for some years. And how come there is such a huge degree or difference in the results we all have.

Good Grief!!!Why didnt you say that in the first place?Great writeup sleddog!!!I knew you was a good guy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.....I agree 110%...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I personally thought it was a great post. A lot of the time things are read into these flat screen comments that turn them into something they are not.
I know exactly what you are talking about, I hunt with guys{from the East and the West} all the time that overlook the obvious to me. Really quite simple things that make all the difference in the world.
No matter what I'm hunting I'm always making mental notes for other game whether it be hogs, deer, turkeys or Predators. I always keep the terrain in mind and what wind and sun would be perfect for each set up. I will give up the sun advantage when I need to but never the wind.
Even here in the West where coyotes are "dime a dozen" there are tons of hunters that aren't killing coyotes. Sure they get one from time to time, but the odds are a little better here than in the East. You would be amazed at the number of "hunters" that tell me: "I've never been able to call a coyote during the day" or " no matter how long I call I just can't get them to come in, just friday night I shot at two in the pasture but when I went back and called the next day they wouldn't come in". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif
The other thing I hear a lot is: Man your the luckiest hunter I know"! I always say; yup it's amazing how good your luck is when your in the field 200 plus days a year. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
There is some good info to be gained in sled's post. Again it is very hard to get a true feel for someone or their tone by these dang flat screens alone.

Great points sled /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
I have made some terrible mistakes through the years doing this and I learned from everyone of them. Thats how I have got to where I am today. Now, I spend alot of my hunts helping friends and other guys learn a little and try to get thier first coyote. It is still great to see a guy get all shook up when that first one comes running in. They can all smack a deer on the run but can't seem to calm down for a dog. So as to the comment about being bummed at my success...I'm not at all! I have enjoyed every stand. I laugh my butt off when the guys miss and I study the ones that don't commit to shotgun range. Over the years my average shot on a coyote has been between 4 feet and 45 yards. That just makes me push myself to be a better hunter. I got alot of research for my calls last season.
But, If I have to resort to hunting coyotes from a treestand....I'LL QUIT!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif
Treestands are for deer hunting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Again, nice post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
But, If I have to resort to hunting coyotes from a treestand....I'LL QUIT!!!!
Treestands are for deer hunting

I know you're jokin', but its always perplexed me folks climb trees to hunt deer .......... but hunt coyotes that are tenfold harder to fool from the ground.

Odd, and maybe just a bit ........ stubborn. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Kudos to you for taking into consideration what we have said here, sleddog. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I agree with Chad, your above post was well said and full of information. In that light I will be looking forward to hearing more from you in the future.

Quote:
Quote:
But, If I have to resort to hunting coyotes from a treestand....I'LL QUIT!!!!
Treestands are for deer hunting

I know you're jokin', but its always perplexed me folks climb trees to hunt deer .......... but hunt coyotes that are tenfold harder to fool from the ground.

Odd, and maybe just a bit ........ stubborn. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

sleddog,
In the interest of fairness, it isn't always, (actually probably seldom), practical for many of us to hunt coyotes from treestands. All our situations aren't the same as yours and to not recognize that might also just be... stubborn. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Well here are some facts of what I've seen. A coyote will choose cover over open area's 9 out of 10 times, to bed. Whether that cover is a snow drift, hillside, timber patch, slough/waterway, or a dip in between corn rows...whatever.
Why? well one reason is to cut the wind off of their body.

When bedded, they often will bed on the side of a hill [or high area] as compared, to laying down low in a draw, ravine, creek bed or valley.

They also prefer to have a panoramic view of their down-wind. Even on a day with the slightest breeze. They will be facing a down-wind direction. Same go's for Red Fox.

A caller that comes into a cover area[timber for example] from the down-wind side. Stands a good chance of any coyote in that cover. Seeing him, long before the hunter sees the coyote.....game over.

Coyote's when bedded, most often are panning around. I estimate probably in the 90% range....panning/looking a down-wind direction. A nomad/tresspasser coyote, will often pan 360 degrees constantly. Never actually sleeping, but "resting". They are more highly alert, over the local coyotes.

Even when a coyote is "sleeping" they do so lightly. Often when their head is tucked in[balled-up]. They still often have their eye's open. I've seen all of the above, many hundreds of times over my yrs. Another fact is, their ears are always in the "on" position.

Last edited:
adding on to what has already been said.I think the term, "success breeds success" is very fitting for eastern coyotes. I think alot of hunters give up after a few years and lots of failed attempts .thinking the yotes are too smart in their particular area to be called. The only ones that will make it to the "big leagues" are the ones that can make it through that innitiation phase.
some guys get a lucky kill right off the bat to keep them in the game . but for the most part there's a serious learning curve.It took me six year of relatively hard hunting to evan get a shot off.sounds crazy but makes perfect sense knowing what I know now. to new hunters my advice is to keep mixing things up untill you get success.and than analyze the [beeep] out of what happened than try your best to duplicate that set up on similar terrain .It worked for a reason.with enough time in you'll build a portfollio of set-ups for different situations .also throw out all books that have a coyote with its mouth open running across an open field..Not Joking

Originally Posted By: swampwalkeradding on to what has already been said.I think the term, "success breeds success" is very fitting for eastern coyotes. I think alot of hunters give up after a few years and lots of failed attempts .thinking the yotes are too smart in their particular area to be called. The only ones that will make it to the "big leagues" are the ones that can make it through that innitiation phase.
some guys get a lucky kill right off the bat to keep them in the game . but for the most part there's a serious learning curve.It took me six year of relatively hard hunting to evan get a shot off.sounds crazy but makes perfect sense knowing what I know now. to new hunters my advice is to keep mixing things up untill you get success.and than analyze the [beeep] out of what happened than try your best to duplicate that set up on similar terrain .It worked for a reason.with enough time in you'll build a portfollio of set-ups for different situations .also throw out all books that have a coyote with its mouth open running across an open field..Not Joking

This is the best post on the topic thus far...
cool.gif

49,Im going to go a step further friend and say that this is the best thread that calling in the East has seen in a long time!!!If you are a new predator hunter or experianced,everybody can get something from this thread!Alot of good reading here guys...I want to read more so carry on!!!!

Here ya go MCWALK. Pic is facing due South. A stout South wind. Two coyotes, the male is bedded behind a bush in the milkweed, right above the large hay bale. It's mate to the right of the male a little bit. Female is sitting looking my way. Their both around 600yrds out.

This timber strip is roughly 100' wide x 1/4 mile long. It's their core/den area. Male is also looking down-wind, BTW. You just can't see his face as well. If a hunter would've cleared the last high hill to call this strip. This pr of coyotes would've pegged him early on....game over.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc78/moreammo/coyotes12708013.jpg?t=1248322853

Last edited:
Pr of coyotes around 700yrds out. Male is laying facing South[wind at his backside]. Female abit restless, milling around. Pic is facing due South. Wind, stout from the South. This is their core/den area....a sparse timber patch. Around 1 1/2 acres in size.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc78/moreammo/Jan16093reds029.jpg?t=1248323388

Zoomed up abit more, a few minutes later. Female now sitting off to the males right. They both stared at me for quite awhile. I moved on. BTW, the hill side they were on. There was a creek down below them. Another 100 ft or so. A coyote on the hunt can be most anywhere. Bedded coyotes on the other hand. Most often are in a "comfort" area[with a view]. Generally more than 1/4 mile from the roadway.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc78/moreammo/Jan16093reds026-1.jpg?t=1248323647

Last edited:
I could've got to the 1st picked corn hilltop in the fore ground as[the snow was pretty quiet] Which was around 280-300yrds give or take from them. Gave them both a free pass for the view.

I plan to kill much more this yr. I've been cutting them alot of slack the last few yrs.

Yup Fall good...Summer bad.

BTW, a hunter if he walks towards his calling area from the down-wind area. Pay close attention to any noise you might make. Walk like a cat, slowly & softly.

As the coyotes to your up-wind, even in a stout wind. Can still hear you very well.

Back