Big Coyote?

Klebanoff

This is a huge coyote for Arkansas. I'm interested in how it stacks up elsewhere. For reference I'm 6'-02". While I didn't weigh it, I can curl a 50 dumbbell pretty easily and wouldn't have wanted to hold this one for much longer than was needed to photograph it.
Carroll County coyote.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of hard to say from the picture. If you say it’s a big one for your area then it stacks up well for your area! Without a weight it’s pretty hard to say. 40lbs is fairly common here in my area of NY. I’ve only had a couple ever that went over 45lbs but there’s always someone out there that has shot a bunch of 50lbs plus coyotes and do it all the time. 🤔🙄 Lol…

This big manged up male is my biggest ever. 49.4 lbs

Congrats on the big coyote! They’re all an achievement to be proud of.

Last edited:
Couple of nice sized coyotes. Shame the one had mange. Seldom weigh one but I'd bet most are under 35 down here.

40+ lbs Male Sept. 2016_Original.jpeg

Here’s a 50 lbs Coyote I shot a few years back in Nevada. For reference I’m 6’1”….. We have shot 3 or 4 this size out there. We took biggest Coyote a few years ago in the World Coyote Contest with a 45 lbs Coyote.

Good Hunting Chad

That's the one I was hoping to get but is no longer produced. I'll keep an eye on the classifieds in case one pops up.

View attachment 6988
Here’s a 50 lbs Coyote I shot a few years back in Nevada. For reference I’m 6’1”….. We have shot 3 or 4 this size out there. We took biggest Coyote a few years ago in the World Coyote Contest with a 45 lbs Coyote.

Good Hunting Chad
50# is HUGE for Nevada, especially if it was southern Nevada.
Average coyotes in far southern Nevada run around 20-25#.

No, it was Northern Nevada. 3 of the 4 50 pounders came from the same general area spaced out over 5 or 6 years . Good genetics and food I guess.

I have shot one that was 50 lbs a few years back.
Here is a picture of 2 that I shot about 45 minutes apart last winter. Male on top female bottom.
I did not weigh either....buy that female was a big one.
20240219_102515.jpg

As far as weight, I couldn't tell you.I tend to look at the hide and get excited. Out here in Montana they get big. Looking at the photo, I can tell you I would be really happy with that one. Definitely going to skin that one. That is a dang nice coyote.

As far as weight, I couldn't tell you.I tend to look at the hide and get excited. Out here in Montana they get big. Looking at the photo, I can tell you I would be really happy with that one. Definitely going to skin that one. That is a dang nice coyote.
I only been night hunting coyote in Montana one time about 20 years ago. Was over by Marion, about 30 miles west of kalispell . I was pretty impressed with the size of Coyote there.. Plus., just the huge number of them just running around there at night .
Here in NW valley area in Oregon coyotes here they are tall long legged, but MT. coyotes were thicker heavier dogs than we have over here .

edit add:
MT. big dogs must be due to just the environment the dogs must survive in over there ? The Temperature swings from Day to Night there was drastic. I was hunting dogs in summertime August and was hot as hell in day. but soon as the sun went down was freezing Temps.all night . Cant imagine the Sub.Zero Temps. the dogs must struggle with in winter.

Last edited:
I only been night hunting coyote in Montana one time about 20 years ago. Was over by Marion, about 30 miles west of kalispell . I was pretty impressed with the size of Coyote there.. Plus., just the huge number of them just running around there at night .
Here in NW valley area in Oregon coyotes here they are tall long legged, but MT. coyotes were thicker heavier dogs than we have over here .

edit add:
MT. big dogs must be due to just the environment the dogs must survive in over there ? The Temperature swings from Day to Night there was drastic. I was hunting dogs in summertime August and was hot as hell in day. but soon as the sun went down was freezing Temps.all night . Cant imagine the Sub.Zero Temps. the dogs must struggle with in winter.
Small world, I've killed coyotes all over that area, even killed them just off the Pleasant Valley runway! My girlfriend lived in Whitefish for 22 years or so, chased critters from the Yak all the way to the Bob Marshall and tons of places east of the Rockies.

The first lion I ever called was on the backside of McGregor lake while wolf hunting!

Back