Annual Groundhog tally for 2013

Made it back out this afternoon grass is very high making it tough to spot them but did manage to see two shot one with the 22-250AI at 280yrds right through the ears then some darn deer came by and spooked the other hog and I never did spot him again.
Good news though they started cutting today so by next weekend we should be good to go for a while again.

this is the off side ear
IMG_20130712_185727_510_zpsdd40e1da.jpg

Finally hit pay dirt, or should I say dirt pig. I decided to play barnyard rules and work on a few around the farm shop, sawmill, and barn. Parked the truck and watched the lot a bit. Finally saw one inside the sawmill conveyor, but he didn't offer a safe shot. A few minutes later he pops out on a saw dust pile. Due to an obstruction, I had to take him left handed at 49yds with the Marlin HMR. One to the neck and bang flop. After retrieving him I took a higher perch and watched the lot again. A big blonde hog fed out from the silo toward a trash pile. I put a 20gr. Gamepoint through the neck of that one at 76yds. After retrieving that one, I went and talked with the farm boss. I spent about 2 hrs of hunting time shooting the bull with him. I ended up with a lead on some rough cut lumber, got a pint of pickled beets, and secured my time on the farm as the sole groundhog and coyote hunter
smile.gif
. I went back by the barn yard and saw another small one in the driveway. I spooked him getting out of the truck and took an offhand shot at40yds flopping him under an abandoned trailer. It felt good to finally get back on the board. There are 2 pastures freshly bush hogged and another going to happen by next weekend. Things may finally be turning around
grin.gif
07-13-2013%20trio.jpg

Managed to get to the golf course this past Tuesday and nailed five late afternoon all with the Marlin 17 HMR. Two at 70 yds and one each at 136, 104 and 60 yds. Here they are:

null-21.jpg
null-24.jpg
null-23.jpg
null-22.jpg
null-25.jpg
null-20.jpg

Ok, granted one is just blood in front of the drainage pipe, but I think you'll agree it's a kill shot. The last pic is the close up of the one I pulled out of the whole.

Nice going DB. That's a lot of blood for a hummer, what bullet you shooting? Mine only bleed a few drops with the 20gr. Gamepoints and usually don't exit. I usually try a neck or shoulder hit to expand them. That golf course deal looks like a blast
laugh.gif

First off they were all young pups with soft skin etc. I'm using the 20 gr CCI hollow points most of the time. Occasionally use the 17 gr Hornady ballistic tips too. They both will do damage when they hit the right spot.

I have never seen more blood from a groundhog than when hit in the head with my 17M2 it kills them just not instantly like when hit with the Fireball usually no blood at all

Originally Posted By: DogboneFirst off they were all young pups with soft skin etc. I'm using the 20 gr CCI hollow points most of the time. Occasionally use the 17 gr Hornady ballistic tips too. They both will do damage when they hit the right spot.
Gotcha, all bets are off when shooting pups. Some of them shred like cheddar and explode like a 10 minute microwave hotdog.

On Saturday,I decided to do a little poodle popping on a new farm I have got permission to hunt in Maryland. The farm is about 450 acres and a mixture of hay and corn fields. Looks like it's going to be a productive farm too. Saw about 8 piggies in 2 hrs.

Got this big boy at about 200 yards.

huntingpictures289_zpsc2e44d19.jpg

Missed another one after that.

Dave

Originally Posted By: DogboneNice shot! Chubby little bugger. Is that a Savage VLP in 22-250?

Savage BVSS in 223 AI. Has a Lilja barrel and a Sharp Shooter Supply 5oz. trigger.

Originally Posted By: 1up5downOriginally Posted By: DogboneNice shot! Chubby little bugger. Is that a Savage VLP in 22-250?

Savage BVSS in 223 AI. Has a Lilja barrel and a Sharp Shooter Supply 5oz. trigger.

Nice!!!

Originally Posted By: 1up5downOn Saturday,I decided to do a little poodle popping on a new farm I have got permission to hunt in Maryland. The farm is about 450 acres and a mixture of hay and corn fields. Looks like it's going to be a productive farm too. Saw about 8 piggies in 2 hrs.

Got this big boy at about 200 yards.

huntingpictures289_zpsc2e44d19.jpg

Missed another one after that.

Dave

Hey, WAIT a minute here......why is that groundhog all flattened out with bulldozer tracks running over him? What are you trying to pull here?
wink.gif

Back