Any .25 cal guys out there?

Tjkiller

Recommended cartridge? I can hand load whatever. I have 1000 75gr vmax. Need a rifle to shootem. Thinking bout 25 creed or 25-45 sharps. Thx

There's been a lot of interest in fast twist 25 caliber builds to shoot these new heavies like the Berger 133/135 and Hornady 134 ELD-M with the majority of them being 25 Creed, 25-284's, 25-6.5PRC, and 25 SAUM builds. Any and all of those would certainly work, with the appropriate twist, to shoot those 75gr Vmax and since that particular bullet isn't very long they'd all easily work in a short action build too. I'm in the process now of having a fast twist 25 SAUM built to shoot those longggg high BC 134's.

They're all straight neck downs so I don't think one would be any "easier" then the other but the easiest one to, currently, get brass for would definitely be a 25 Creedmoor build and I think I heard someone, maybe Alpha brass company, is or is going to make 25 CM head stamped brass.

Have never used my 25-06 on varmints. Have an Idea that a light bullet as I'd want to use would blow a coyote the pieces! Actually not so sure about the 70gr bullet I'm feeding my 243 either. Got the 243 just for coyotes but haven't used it yet. Not a huge predator hunter. Have shot one coyote with my 6.5x06 and a 140gr Hornady. Worked great, very little damage the the coyote other than absolutely dead!

Long action it would be hard to beat a 25-06 for those bullets, if you're building on a short action that 25 cm sounds good, if you want something unique a 250 Savage or 257 Roberts would be way cool.

AR builds, consider the 25 DTI which is a 6.8 necked down and blown out. It would be perfect for those bullets for varmints.

Recommended cartridge? I can hand load whatever. I have 1000 75gr vmax. Need a rifle to shootem. Thinking bout 25 creed or 25-45 sharps. Thx

On my 2nd barrel now for a 25x45 (sharps) and into 7th year using the Cal. . Also necking-up a few hundred new brass this weekend also . Brass work-up is fast, it takes longer time to clean off case lube, chamfer mouth, and Prime brass, than it takes to neck-up .223 brass .

Is been working great for Night hunting . I have 2 scoped night rigs. ( Boltaction and AR ) . I been doing a 16" barrel AR on the .25x45, still easy squeezing out 2700+ fps Vel.
( 27.7 grn. Accurate 2230 ) with anything like 75 vmax's or 87 grn tnt's is on paper MOA @ 100 yrd. , and just slaps the dogs down hard.
16"barrel with a Can on muzzle keeps the length down nice also for handling. but if a guy wants more speed, just start moving up in barrel length . I been thinking of going for a 20" on the 3rd .25x45 barrel.

On my 2nd barrel now for a 25x45 (sharps) and into 7th year using the Cal. . Also necking-up a few hundred new brass this weekend also . Brass work-up is fast, it takes longer time to clean off case lube, chamfer mouth, and Prime brass, than it takes to neck-up .223 brass .

Is been working great for Night hunting . I have 2 scoped night rigs. ( Boltaction and AR ) . I been doing a 16" barrel AR on the .25x45, still easy squeezing out 2700+ fps Vel.
( 27.7 grn. Accurate 2230 ) with anything like 75 vmax's or 87 grn tnt's is on paper MOA @ 100 yrd. , and just slaps the dogs down hard.
16"barrel with a Can on muzzle keeps the length down nice also for handling. but if a guy wants more speed, just start moving up in barrel length . I been thinking of going for a 20" on the 3rd .25x45 barrel.
I use a 6x45 ar and bolt now. Its my fav. Anchors them better than 223. Even with 55s and 58s. Really like the simplicity of neckng uo 223.

Ive been shooting a 25-204 for 19 years now. Ive had Savage 1899/99s in 25-35 and 250-3000, a couple bolts in 250-3000 and a couple more in 257 Roberts. It is one of my favorites.

My nephew shoots a Model 70 in 25 WSSM and loves it.

Last edited:
If I was of a mind to go custom in a 25, I would strongly consider a .257 Roberts AI.

I have had great results shooting deer with my .257 Roberts. First with 117 grain Hornady interlocks, but then switched to 90 gr. Sierra Game Kings with even better results.

creed or 25-06 would be easiest for getting brass
257wby is a good performer too. brass is a little harder to find/more expensive. but its out there

For shooting the mid 130's in a long action I think a necked down 7 PRC to .257 will be a popular choice and wouldn't surprise me to see Hornady come out with a 25 cal loaded with their 134 ELD-M based off of their 7mm PRC case. It would have the same case capacity as the 257 Weatherby but with no belt and better as well as easier to get brass.

Plug the numbers into a ballistic app. on those134 ELD-M's or Berger 135's launching 3300fps and you'll quickly see it's a pretty impressive combination with some really long legs for reaching way out there.

But, for the light bullets like the 75 Vmax that the OP was asking about, 25 Creedmoor or necking down 260 Rem to .257 would make for a coyote slaying machine.

For shooting the mid 130's in a long action I think a necked down 7 PRC to .257 will be a popular choice and wouldn't surprise me to see Hornady come out with a 25 cal loaded with their 134 ELD-M based off of their 7mm PRC case. It would have the same case capacity as the 257 Weatherby but with no belt and better as well as easier to get brass.

Plug the numbers into a ballistic app. on those134 ELD-M's or Berger 135's launching 3300fps and you'll quickly see it's a pretty impressive combination with some really long legs for reaching way out there.

But, for the light bullets like the 75 Vmax that the OP was asking about, 25 Creedmoor or necking down 260 Rem to .257 would make for a coyote slaying machine.

That would also be a fun one!

I think the most practical would just be a straight 25/06 or an AI if you want to get fancy with a 26" 8 twist.

Back