the perfect AR in 243?

Originally Posted By: yotenaylor
There is absolutely no real world reason that anyone would choose an ar 10 in 243 over the ar 15 in 243 wssm.

Load up a mag with wssm ammo and you begin to see just how well this combination works in the ar 15 platform.

I've said this before. the ONLY reason (i know of) to choose the ar10 version is if you want to shoot cheap readily available factory ammo. OR if you're SO serious about hand loading that you are dead set on using HIGH QUALITY BRASS to reload with.

OH, and I have been doing custom modified PMAG's that run the WSSM ammo, incase anyone wants a better quality higher capacity magazine for their short fattys

(and depending on what kind of upper you get, an AR15 MAY NOT be lighter than an R25) Mine probably isnt lighter.

Originally Posted By: ksduckhntrnot to take this thread in another direction but what if someone already has a complete ar upper and wants a .243 wssm. Does all that needs to be done is drop in a new barrel? What about magazines as well?

you'll need a new bolt carrier group as well, that's why it's nice to just buy a complete upper.

and yes you'll need to get new mags to use with the WSSM line...but you "SHOULD" get one from whoever you buy your upper from. (assuming they are a strait up fellow)

Lots of good mags out there, but IMO, (and not to toot my own horn) the Custom Modified PMAGs i've done are they way to go. Just about anywhere you look, they are charging $40 for a WSSM mag.

On the 243 wssm do you have enough mag length to run long bullets like VLD's? I wouldn't think so but I haven't messed with one. One the Ar-10 platform 243 you have plenty of mag length to play with bullets.

depnds what grain of vlds you're looking for...95's...maybe. if you wanna run the 105's like me, good luck. Dtech says it can be done with a 1:8 twist but I havent been able to make it work.
105 Amax says 1:9 twist is ok, and I havent had luck with them either and they are just as long as the Berger 105 VLD's

you'll need a new bolt carrier group as well, that's why it's nice to just buy a complete upper

Question,where are you going to buy a new bolt carrier?

Last edited:
I couldn’t be more satisfied with the DPMS LR-243L
Availability of ammo is precisely why I would choose a WIN over WSSM’s

It is my highly amateurish opinion that a good hunting rifle has less to do with caliber and more to do with trigger (and confidence).

01Coy3659.jpg

Originally Posted By: Mrgunslingeryou'll need a new bolt carrier group as well, that's why it's nice to just buy a complete upper

Question,where are you going to buy a new bolt carrier?

well like i said to "ksduckhntr" in a PM. that was my mistake. you WILL need a new bolt but i am not 100% sure about needing a carrier. however, you can get a new Bushmaster carrier (and others) at brownells for $99 WITHOUT the bolt. You can also get the parts and build your own bolt at OlyArms and many other reputable builders.

Originally Posted By: cbass16depnds what grain of vlds you're looking for...95's...maybe. if you wanna run the 105's like me, good luck. Dtech says it can be done with a 1:8 twist but I havent been able to make it work.
105 Amax says 1:9 twist is ok, and I havent had luck with them either and they are just as long as the Berger 105 VLD's

I am working up some loads with the 95 VLD's for my Lr-243L and it seems to like them. and that's with a 1:10 twist. I don't have a single complaint about the LR-243L. I can get ammo anywhere cheaply and it is as light as most ar-15 variants.

not trying to turn this into a WSSM thread, but I had posted that I wasnt sure about the carrier difference so I thought I would post some pics of the difference, and if you were planning to do a WSSM build, you could get the carrier from Olympic Arms.

Here are the two carriers showing the difference between standard 5.56/.223 vs .243 WSSM

DSC00024-1.jpg

DSC00025.jpg

Originally Posted By: cbass16not trying to turn this into a WSSM thread, but I had posted that I wasnt sure about the carrier difference so I thought I would post some pics of the difference, and if you were planning to do a WSSM build, you could get the carrier from Olympic Arms.

Here are the two carriers showing the difference between standard 5.56/.223 vs .243 WSSM

DSC00024-1.jpg

DSC00025.jpg

The bolts, carriers, barrel-extension and upper receiver are all made specifically for the WSSM. I have not read the entire thread from top to bottom, but Olympic Arms does not sell WSSM parts to dealers or individuals.

In all of the WSSM's that I have built and worked on, and as far as I know this goes for Olympic Arms as well, we have yet to have a single bolt failure with the WSSM bolt. We couldn't even break it during destructive testing.

well it started out as a question about who to get an AR in .243win, and it's sorta turned into a debate about reasons for going with the .243win or the .243wssm.

The last few post a fellow was asking if a new barrel and bolt would be enough to build a .243wssm upper. which is not the case.

sooo, since we all know you're THE MAN when it comes to the WSSM uppers...is this to assume that no one can (try to) build their own upper? (i think) a complete upper is the way to go!
(which i would do and suggest anyway)

by the by. when your customer is loading 105's with his 1:8, do you know any of his load specifics? is he seating to mag length or loading single shot? any powder knowledge? fps type stuff?
Skinney and I are still loading up Nosler 95bt's up in the 1:9 with not much for sub 1.5" success...tried the 75vmax again at 400m and shoot 6 rounds with .452moa. still at the drawing board with big hopes and dreams for the heavier ones but i'm running out of cash fast.

I just picked up a 6mm AR Turbo 40 upper (6.5 grendel necked down to 6mm with a 40 degree shoulder). I haven't had a chnce to shoot it yet, but the builder (Robert Whitley) is long time high power competition shooter and mentioned that VLD bullets needt to be seated .010 or more into the lands to get good accuracy. This is why VLD bullets are always single loaded in the AR platform.

M & C Rifles is having WSSM Bolts and barrel extensions made as we speak.
Since Oly arms wont sale any,he changed a few things and is having a bunch made.

cbass,
I shoot Berger 95 gr VLD Hunting Bullets out of my Oly Arms SUM 1:10 twist 24" barrel. With Varget Powder they group consistently at 3/4" with 5 shots at 100 yds. Good groups at 200 and 300 yds and buck the wind much better than Sierra 85 gr GKHPBT.

Both of my Daughters shoot .243 bolt guns. One Savage and one Remington and they both group very tight with them as well.

The bullets do a good job on whitetails and coyotes. Might be worth a try?

Originally Posted By: 1str8outdoorsmancbass,
I shoot Berger 95 gr VLD Hunting Bullets out of my Oly Arms SUM 1:10 twist 24" barrel. With Varget Powder they group consistently at 3/4" with 5 shots at 100 yds. Good groups at 200 and 300 yds and buck the wind much better than Sierra 85 gr GKHPBT.
What is your OAL with the 95 VLD's and the WSSM?

Originally Posted By: 1str8outdoorsmanmbkmkk
I Load the Berger 95 gr VLD Hunting Bullets at 2.253" COAL. They also grouped very good at 2.250".
Ok, I was just wondering if they would fall back into the case do to the sharp VLD ogive.

Originally Posted By: 1str8outdoorsmanGood groups at 200 and 300 yds and buck the wind much better than Sierra 85 gr GKHPBT.
Did you notice that the 85grGK needed to be seated deaper, because it would jam into the lands?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ill_CoyoteM & C Rifles is having WSSM Bolts and barrel extensions made as we speak.
Since Oly arms wont sale any,he changed a few things and is having a bunch made.

That is good news. No offense intended, but it was bound to happen.

I gotta be honest though- I dont know if Id want to be the first guy to "test" these out.

Any advice on how to reach him??

Back