Stirring the Pot..........Again.

William Suter

I just read a post about a 22-250AI. A caliber dear to my heart. Its a speed demon only second to the the King of the 22's, the Almighty 220 Swift. Why, (I know why) do you want to ruin it shooting cannon balls? It was made to run light bullets at lazer speeds. Its like having a AA fuel car to go to Walmart. I've heard all the reasons why, and I've heard about how fast you can run a heavy bullet, (some I believe, some I call bullshit). I still say and probably go to my grave saying it...if you want to shoot heavier bullets, step up in caliber. Flame on Boys, Flame on. LOL!!

I just read a post about a 22-250AI. A caliber dear to my heart. Its a speed demon only second to the the King of the 22's, the Almighty 220 Swift. Why, (I know why) do you want to ruin it shooting cannon balls? It was made to run light bullets at lazer speeds. Its like having a AA fuel car to go to Walmart. I've heard all the reasons why, and I've heard about how fast you can run a heavy bullet, (some I believe, some I call bullshit). I still say and probably go to my grave saying it...if you want to shoot heavier bullets, step up in caliber. Flame on Boys, Flame on. LOL!!
Right on!

I have a new in the box Rem 700 30/06, Wal-Mart clearance 105.99 out the door. I keep thinking pull the barrel screw on a remage 220 swift. I will probably shoot 50's out of it. Just because I've never had a swift.

I’m with you buddy, I just don’t understand the need for the new calibers for killing coyotes. I shoot a 22-250 and my partner shoots a 243. Point and shoot laser beams out to 300 yards. We set up, close enough to the cover that we DONT get in a situation. Where we are shooting 300+ yards. Which I also believe is critical in getting our pa coyotes to come in… like getting in a gobblers bubble.

True, but if new shooters can’t find a 22-250 or ammo, they will gravitate to the latest and greatest.

I have a friend who is still hunting with a Remington 788 in 6mm Rem. Maybe his only rifle not sure. Why get anything else this one kills just fine? Except now he can’t find any ammo. I have not seen any either.

The conclusion that I came to is that very few are actually hunting with their gun.... paper queens at most when it comes to the fast twist barrels. Since the tacticool guys are the majority of new buyers the manufacturers are tailoring to their wants.

Anyone that needs a high BC 22 cal bullet for 1000 yards obviously doesn't hunt.

Can you imagine these idiots with their range finder and a dope card hunting??? Kinda funny to me

80's at 3400 fps are like magic in the wind. 8 twist barrels with .22-250AI capacity have barrel life like a fart in the wind.

You pays your money and you have your fun. I wore out two 8 twists in less than a year each and figured I'd had enough fun.

- DAA

I have this thing about the Speer 52gr HP Varmint bullet, it does everything I ask of a bullet. It is my go to in my 22-250 and 22-250AI and it works well in my old slow twist barrels.

If I need more horsepower I have bigger rifles

I've been up, down, and all around in regards to twists.

I started like most with a little gray on top, with slow twists.

Gradually transitioned to the fast twists for better chance at the shy ones that like to sit at distance & flip you off.

Since getting into night time endeavors, I've built several back to old school slow twists for the velocity bump & flatter point blank performance.

I like a bag full of clubs, rather than putting with a driver or driving with a putter......

I do have the option of passing on predators that are beyond what I think is a reasonable distance. Beyond what I can hold on fur is beyond where I shoot whether it is a 22H or 22-250AI, works for me.

Bag of clubs here also. Going heavier doesn't give me more distance just more thump.

I got 2 clubs for coyotes-a 243 and a 12gu. tehee. I figure it don't matter how many clubs I own if I can only carry one at a time but different strokes for different folks. Just don't ask how many bows I have hanging.
There is a safe pretty much full of pieces but the only other 2 that get used are a Tikka .22 that is my .243 clone for practicing with and my old "worked" Stevens" 311 sxs turkey slayer that I have carried since '87.

I shoot a Tikka 8 twist 22-250 that has a slow factory barrel. My fast load, the ones I use to shoot coyotes with, is a 53 grain vmax at 3445 fps. My heavy load is a 77 grain TMK that’s doing 3087fps. Both will do under/about an inch for a 10 round group.

Out to 500 yards, there is only .2 tenths of a difference in mil vertical adjustments, with the advantage going to the 53 Vmax. But if I throw in a 10 mph cross wind, there is .3 tenth difference of drift between the two, advantage going to the 77 TMK.

To me, I’d rather have the advantage of less wind drift. I switched to the Night Force MIL-C reticle across the two guns that I actually shoot. So I’m starting to get pretty proficient using quick holdovers and better wind holds.

If the 77 TMKs destroy fur, then I’ll have no issues going back to the 53 vmax. Hopefully, I’ll have some pictures of some dead coyotes with 77 TMKs here in a couple weeks.

22LR to 25-06 and a bunch in between. I have way more clubs than I need. I have several 22 centefire calibers and the 52 grain Berger works really well in all of them.

It's almost impossible to find 22-250 brass. I got lucky a about a month ago and got an in stock notification for some PMC brass in stock so bought a couple hundred more pieces. I waited over a year. I had some but it was dwindling fast. I've debated on having my Tikka rechambered to 22 CM just because of that. And as a poster said above, I do believe Hornady isn't making it just because the 22 CM

There is a safe pretty much full of pieces but the only other 2 that get used are a Tikka .22 that is my .243 clone for practicing with and my old "worked" Stevens" 311 sxs turkey slayer that I have carried since '
Clint Smith: Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it!

Back