Smokeless powder in a black powder rifle.......

William Suter

......just asking for trouble. A young blood at the club today was shooting either a Traditions or CVA rifle and not criticizing but it wasn't one of the higher end models. Said he was tired of cleaning so he has went to smokeless powder. He was using H4895 and H322. Best I heard was he started with 45-70 lever action loads. I think he's asking for trouble but its none of my business. Needless to say I went to the opposite end of the bench's as far away as I could get. I may be totally wrong and it may be safe but my rifle shoots 777 just fine even if it is a little bit of a PITA to clean.

That's riding the line if not completely dangerous. Smokeless has a larger pressure spike. I've researched this concerning old rifles and shotguns designed for blackpowder and the internet said it might be OK if you're shooting really low power smokeless loads but the pressure spike can/will be higher no matter what. Probably depends on what his specific rifle is designed for in regards to the metallurgy/type of steel and thickness.

I'm sorry but I forgot to add that the rifle is an inline. Not sure if that really makes a big difference as its not designed for smokeless powder anyway. While I understand his logic (?) I don't think its very safe. I know a guy that shoots a pretty stiff load in an Encore but IIRC Thompson Center doesn't recommend that either.

Even though outrageously priced, BH 209 would give similar results and be a damn site safer to use. But........its his chicken, pluck it however you want. So far our club is accident free...........so far. :)

Back