Silence and not being seen walking into stands

Newpond0

As a new predator hunter (I've made maybe 25 stands total) I've now realized I've probably been giving my position away coming into my stands. Walking paths or roads crunching around, crunching getting off those paths to some higher ground area with visibility, and being generally impatient travelling to spots.

I've read on here not to skyline yourself so I've been incorporating not going to the top of the hill but instead almost to the top and walking around. I've also tried getting off the paths and walking edges of woods real quiet but I feel like I'm not covering enough ground.

I'm thinking to let go of the covering ground idea and just be as stealth as possible and call way more often...any advice?

By the way I've shot 1 coyote so far and seen 1 bear charging down the hillside a few hundred metres away that must have busted me before really coming in
IMG_20240926_163104.jpg

I would rather make fewer well thought out stands that I worked at to get setup right and up my odds of killing a coyote as opposed to many haphazardly approached stands that are unsuccessful.

Thank you for the replys guys! I guess what I was thinking is to start walking silently like this guy into my stands

Is that what people are doing when they talk about slipping into stands quiet and unseen? A combination of moving like this and thru the forests and not the paths?

I think I'd be walking backwards if I went that slow:ROFLMAO:
lol maybe you’re right…this tactic would mean park the truck and do that walk for an hour or 2 to get in a few hundred metres and call a set. If nothing, another few hundred metres in an hour or 2 and call again. Keep repeating…I’m gonna try it. But how quick would you move or how would you get in discreetly Sprinkman?

I'm by no means an expert sneaker, but some of what he said works. No one sneaks in without making a little noise with their feet. Just slow down, watch your step and move as quietly as possible. Keep your gear quiet as well. 66 seconds per step is pretty ridunkulous.
I live in an area that is almost always dry, It's harder than heck to move into any stand without making some noise. Just keep it to a minimum and you will do fine.

Back