Should i invest in an E caller or just use hand calls

Volunteer78

So I had an e caller several years ago used it maybe twice life etc happened and didn't use ut for several years. I decided to dig it out to give Predator hunting another go ( I am a complete novice but have taken some Yotes) the darn thing is so coroded inside it wont work. I do have several hand calls however. Plus the idea of calling in animals with a hand call is pretty frigging awesome. Question is, being a substandard predator hunter should I roll with the hand calls or would an e caller help me gain success quicker? I know the only way to get better is to put the work in but just curious what the forum thinks. Appreciate all the info

If your hunting in country you can see for a ways where you can call without being busted and have time to put the call down and get ready to shoot a hand call works fine.

If your in country where you might not even see a coyote until he is close in, an e-caller with a remote is really great. It lets you get away with that ng you could never do with a hand call and a coyote focused on you instead of a call 20 yards or more away.

I use both and they both work.

A lot depends on you, and your knowledge of the quarry you’re pursuing. If using just hand distress calls, they aren’t quite as hard to master as replicating the different coyote vocalizations. Distress sounds can be a little messy and still sound like distress. Do you know the different coyote vocalizations and when is best to use them and why? What kind of terrain you hunt can have an impact. Close cover situations you’ll probably want to be at the ready with your firearm and shoot quickly. That’s hard to do if you’re running hand calls so perhaps an e-caller is a better option in those situations. E-calls have the advantage of sounding correct and/or real, and generally tell you exactly what the call is. Breeding, fighting, invitation etc, etc. If you have tons of coyotes in your area and lots of ground to hunt them, give the hand calls a try. If you have few coyotes or few properties to pursue them your best road to success may be the e-caller.

I use both. If I’m in a place that a coyote can come in really fast in a short distance, I started using a decoy that’s just an old arrow stuck in the ground with a turkey feather tied on the end. Put it out in front of me somewhere in my calling spot and has helped keep their attention on that feather twirling in the breeze. Especially if using just a mouth call.

Take it from someone newer, get an e-caller. So many different sounds for so many other critters. Coyotes, coons, cats, fox, etc…
Like everything else, but the “best” you can afford even if that means saving up for a while. I’m sorta limited in my calling during the warmer months due to terrain. Come October blocking will begin and fields will be harrowed. Come Spring burning season will open even more areas. Luckily during mating season I have wide open areas. Coyote vocals seem to work the best for me all year vs prey sounds.
I’m not saying a hand call can’t produce coyote vocals, but you’d run out of air imitating pups in distress or a fight and never be able to shoot, lol.

Invest in a e-caller! You will be putting out sounds for a lot more time than if you are blowing a hand call. I would much rather have the animals that I call in look in the direction of my e-caller than be looking straight at me blowing a hand call.

Being able to instantly change pre-set sounds with a remote will get more animals called in than trying to make different sounds with hand calls.

As does lithium if you don't have rechargeable. I use rechargeable in the call and lithium in the remote.
Thanks for the reminder, Lance. Just checked mine and lucked out. Haven't been able to use it in over a year; must have been a new battery when I put it away!😰 Will have to get a lithium 9v.

Back