Short bolt action builds 16-18"

Lets see those 16-18" bolt action builds for predator hunting. I have a 18" 1:9 223 and a 16" 1:8 22GT in the works.
Savage Scout "improved", not a build but after adding adjustable cheek piece, altering pistol grip and removing the muzzle brake is my handiest bolt predator rifle.
1720807919073.jpeg

Which is your favorite ?
Being as how theyre all pretty much identical im assuming that was a joke, but i guess the 223, just for the fact that its the cheapest to shoot and has essentially zero recoil. I can sit and smack steel with it until i get bored. Have targets set up out to 500 at my parents house about 20 minutes away, with an indoor shooting bench to shoot from in the old mans shop. May set up a couple further targets just to see what my limit is, even with the 1-6 scopes on the 223 and 243 500 is no problem. The 2.5-12.5 scope on the 308 makes it even easier. Im all about close range hunting, but i still like poking a bit further out on targets.

I had my 22-250 chopped down to 18in a few years ago when I had it threaded and to be honest, I couldn't imagine having it any longer then that. When you start putting suppressors on everything is when you really appreciate them having short barrels. Does something like a 22-250 lose a decent amount of velocity going from 24 to 18, yes, but for me the convenience of a shorter package with a can screw on the end more that makes up the difference.

Back