Ruger American GenII

William Suter

Just read an article on the "New" Ruger American Gen II. Several changes, mostly looks, some mechanical. Hammer forged barrel with spiral flutes and a muzzle break. Stock is a little different. Its not a bad looking rifle but your gonna have to pony up more money for it. $729.00 MSRP

I have 3 Ruger Americans. A 6.5 CM Predator, 7mm-08 Stainless and the 223 Ranch. I paid under $400 for each. They make good truck guns at that price and I don't worry much about them getting banged up a bit.
I might start worrying with the Gen2. What's the street price? (Suggested retail $700?)

Just my opinion. But when the Ruger American first came out, it was cheap. It had a reputation of being pretty accurate for a budget rifle and a new shooter could get a decent shooting rifle for not a lot of money. Then the customization started. New stocks, triggers, pre-fit barrels........... Then Ruger started adding some of this to their rifles and the prices went up. Now the Gen II comes out and they added a few more improvements, which I admit, look good, but the price went way up this time. I think they priced themselves out of the "Budget Rifle' market. After buying the rifle and adding optics you could be well over $1000 and to a new guy that isn't budget. And you can still buy a new Savage Axis with a cheap scope for $400. Like I said it just my opinion.

I have 3 Ruger Americans. A 6.5 CM Predator, 7mm-08 Stainless and the 223 Ranch. I paid under $400 for each. They make good truck guns at that price and I don't worry much about them getting banged up a bit.
I might start worrying with the Gen2. What's the street price? (Suggested retail $700?)
I haven't heard street price yet or even seen one in the stores for sale. Just guessing, $600ish???

I just did a quick search, Guns and Gear has them for $569. It will probably vary on the vendor. I will say they do look pretty nice.

Last edited:
I just couldn't fall in love with them at all. I had a 22-250 I gave to my grandfather in law several years ago. I had a 7mm-08 not long ago. It was very accurate. I sold it last week after having it for 6 months or so.
I just don't see why people like them so much. You literally have to replace everything for it to be a nice rifle. On top of that all I've seen have had feeding issues or mag issues. That seems to be the achilles heel with them. I still haven't got the old ladys grandpas mag issue straightened out. Ruger has sent 2 different ones.

I’d def wait for real world reviews, instead of media marketing…I fell for this with the original American, had 3 different ones all with unique problems in addition to the common problems. All 3 were sold or traded. Lesson learned….these Gen 2’s imo look like lipstick on a pig. None of the ‘upgrades’ intrigue me enough to try one.
If they turn out to function flawlessly, are accurate and problem free, I would rethink trying one and will stand corrected.

I have one in 22-250 left hand, shoots great with hand loads, I bought it new 5-6 years ago had clip troubles right away they sent me 3 from the factory and still have trouble with shell feed, had 2 fall apart I glued them back together used gorilla glue so far they are holding and cycle the shells good, that clip feed system is just cheap plastic junk. Like I said at first it does shoot with the hand load I worked up for it, I'll keep on using it.

I have the Gen 1 in .308 and it amazes me how accurate it is. Three shot group is one ragged hole with my load I worked up for it.

They haven’t been under $400 for a while. Yes I have a couple pre covid bargains, but the $575 range I’m seeing is a bargain. Heck the gen 1 Go Wild’s are still $599

I have been seeing tons of videos on these, but nobody is shooting them yet. All table top reviews. I wonder what's up with that.

Back