Primer storage

Yes! Top can is standard .30 cal, bottom can 20mm can.
1726692988624.jpeg

I have had primers stored in open air on a shelf for over 40 years and they shoot as good today as they did then.. I live in a fairly dry climate..

Mine are on a shelf, buddy gave me a brick(1000) of Federal LR primers, price marked 17.99. They still make for very accurate loads in a variety of rifles, he lived in an old farm house. More temp/humidity change in his house than mine. I purchased some(brick of 1000) old Win LRM primers at a gun show, the outer box had light water staining. They run with new primers both in group size and chronograph numbers in belted mag with ball powder. Primers are tough to kill. Keep them dry and room temp.

Just FYI. Have heard and read lots of theories on length of storage of primers, how long ammo could be stored etc. This thread and memory of some article on killing primers stoked my curiosity and the fact that, while selling off my loading equipment, I ran across a box with 6 primed 357 mag. cases that had been sitting on a bench while I pondered how to dispose of them. These cases were boogered up so not possible to chamber and discharge them, so....in the interest of science (a favorite comment of my gunsmith mentor when I was a teenager), I shortened the cases to remove bad end and numbered the cases then put water in three and Kroil in the other three in pairs. First day put oil in one #1 case and water in the other #1 case, next day repeat on #2, and #3 on 3rd day. 7 days after charging #1 cases, dumped oil/water and blew as dry as possible, then let cases sit 2 more days, then chambered in a 6 shooter and discharged them. I was surprised that all of the water filled cases fired with authority. Very loud and strong flame from 2" barrel, so water had no effect. All three Kroil primers were dead.

I think I (we) may have been too concerned about lengthy storage of modern primers under reasonable conditions. :cool:

Back