Pack Question

I have found the same in snow when walking back to the vehicle from multiple sets along long ridges. That is why l started ending sets that l have gotten responses to with 15 min of silence. Killed a lot in that 15 min.
Ending in silence has put many a coyote on the ground for me. I’m always looking at my backtrail on the way out when there’s snow. If ever I find that something slipped in on my track that becomes useful information for future setups. It isn’t rocket science, but if you pay attention to the terrain features and cover you can sometimes figure out where you messed up and where they will come from in the future.

Set up closer to the group with pups and start with some pup distress.
And as already posted, sometimes long periods of silence after a vocal response can draw them in.

Some how I grabbed the wrong comment to respond to. I think cause I went don’t the list reading comments my mistake. Just my 2cents, I’d put on a nasty BC or coon fight and put the scanner down and hug that rifle.
Coon fights work great too, often it seems like they are curious.
I will 3rd on that...
. I use that once while with good results . Coon fight, then while it playing, I will mix in a ( just a little bit ) of pup/dog squeal distress on the hand call.
Coons all over the place everywhere here in NW. OR. Dogs are introduced to them soon as they start exploring out the den as pups.

Sometimes I wish I had made a couple flat sets near where I called but had only vocal responses. More than once (snow on the ground) I have returned to a calling setup, only to find coyote tracks that approached either my sitting spot or where the ecaller was hanging. I believe some coyote may wait hours to investigate the sounds that they hear.
I have found the same in snow when walking back to the vehicle from multiple sets along long ridges. That is why l started ending sets that l have gotten responses to with 15 min of silence. Killed a lot in that 15 min.
I have thought a lot on that myself, and have noticed the same thing.

I also sit there 15 20 minutes in silence, and have killed quite a few that way. I always think those are the ones that are hiding in the brush, not wanting to come in. Yet they want to know what was happening.

In the open country I call coyotes in if I waited with 15 minutes of silence at the end of my calling stands that I hear coyotes off in the distance I would make quite a few less stands during that day. I have way more coyotes show up in less than 6 minutes than I have show up after 10 minutes of calling.

Quite a few of the coyotes I call in with prey sounds show up with their hackles up and are ready to fight. So I believe that the coyotes that show up with their hackles up think the prey sounds I am playing are caused by other coyotes. On quite a few calling stands I make I get coyote vocal responses as soon as I play a bird, rabbit or rodent sound.

The coyotes in the below pictures all came in to prey sounds and looked like they were ready for a fight.

IMG_4362 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/156463377@N08/, on Flickr
IMG_3328 - Copy by https://www.flickr.com/photos/156463377@N08/, on Flickr
IMG_0859 - Copy by https://www.flickr.com/photos/156463377@N08/, on Flickr
IMG_0606 - Copy by https://www.flickr.com/photos/156463377@N08/, on Flickr

In the open country I call coyotes in if I waited with 15 minutes of silence at the end of my calling stands that I hear coyotes off in the distance I would make quite a few less stands during that day. I have way more coyotes show up in less than 6 minutes than I have show up after 10 minutes of calling.

Quite a few of the coyotes I call in with prey sounds show up with their hackles up and are ready to fight. So I believe that the coyotes that show up with their hackles up think the prey sounds I am playing are caused by other coyotes. On quite a few calling stands I make I get coyote vocal responses as soon as I play a bird, rabbit or rodent sound.

The coyotes in the below pictures all came in to prey sounds and looked like they were ready for a fight.

IMG_4362 by Robert Morris, on Flickr
IMG_3328 - Copy by Robert Morris, on Flickr
IMG_0859 - Copy by Robert Morris, on Flickr
IMG_0606 - Copy by Robert Morris, on Flickr
Those are some great shots.

Back