Out of practice

Spurchaser

It’s been a minute since I’ve gotten on any hogs or coyotes and it shows, lol.
I’ve been after these hogs for a week now and finally got to the field before they did. I’ve shown up and by the time I got set up they were gone. I’ve missed them by 2 minutes. And had one stalk the wind swirled at just the wrong time!
Got up at 0400 to see a pic of them heading towards the field at 0345. I was on the field waiting at 0420.
The dove field they’re showing up on is divided in four sections by stands of Pearl and Egyptian millet running N/S and two stands running E/W. I walked the main E/W road checking all the fields when I arrived and nothing. I went back to the third field and put the gun on the tripod and was trying to decide what to do. I figured I’d give it about 15min or so scanning and then walk back to the truck and get the caller if nothing showed.
It was right about the end of the 15min and I saw them. I had the wind in my favor and started my stalk. I count steps in the dark and got to 50 and stopped to scan again. All I saw was a lot of nothing. I checked the wind again and realized there’s no way the smelled me so I started scanning East of me and saw them in the second field. I moved East 59 steps and stopped again. Now I was getting closer and they were somewhat stopped. Another 30 count sorta SE and I set up.
Here’s where it got ugly. First shot a pig goes down. Pigs take off and I shoot a couple times I think and definitely heard the hit before it crossed one of the E/W lines of millet. Now all of a sudden a pig close takes off and that should’ve been a gimme shot and I blew it 2-3 times, lol.
I can see the one pig on the deck and walk to it and leave my tripod. I walk to the millet line scanning beyond it and see the second hog. I figured 2 ain’t bad.
I get the pigs loaded and hauled off and get home by 0600. The entire ride home I’d been trying to figure out where that other pig had come from. It wasn’t until I loaded the video I realized there were 5 pigs and at the first shot, 2 pigs dropped but that one ended up getting up and ran out in the open only to be missed a few times.
After daylight and the wife cooking breakfast I went back out to see if I could find any sign of that pig by using landmarks from the video. Unfortunately we’ll just wait and see if buzzards show us anything, because I found nothing.
Sorry so long on the post…

IMG_9633.jpeg

Pigs always scatter like a covey of Quail after the first shot, it's always nice when you come back with something, my constructive criticism is don't be in a hurry to miss, slow every thing you do down your shots will be more accurate and effective, hurry and you will almost always shoot low. Murl B.

Back