New guy question..

SwiftyP

What was Rich Higgins' handle? I'd like to read some of his posts.

Better yet, does someone have aa list of handles that are must reads like Rich?

Please and Thanks,

SwiftyP

IDK man? So many of these folks consistently post great information, it’s hard to choose a favorite. Where are you from? What type of terrain do you hunt? What’s your preferred method of calling… hand calls? Diaphragms? E-caller? Day or night?

It will help a lot to know a little more about you! Welcome aboard! I’m sure a member or two can fulfill your needs!

Central Ks. We get into lots of pasture mixed into ag ground. Draws of trees, big rank CRP, boggy bottoms, and small towns scattered near n far from the chopped up pieces of permission we can secure.

I have a few hand calls, but depend on an Ecall primarily. I think I'd benefit more from learning as much as possible about yotes and I heard Rich's name mentioned in a recent Top Dog pod. I searched it here and have found some incredible posts where he's quoted. I'm very much scientifically minded like he so I gravitate to those sorts of explanations.

The greatest hole in my/my huntin crew' so game is mid day yotes. It has me thinking we need to put the rifles in their scabbards n take shotguns n get in the thick, but... I'd like to obsess for a couple of days on Rich's various experiences calling collared yotes. Could you imagine actually getting to overlay their activities against your actions? Then again, it's antigdotal (sp?).. Still.. Better data than I have.

High wind days would be priority 2.. Ya hunt the weather ya get on contest day. We've had two contests on days where we've been located right in the middle of ripping wind caused by fronts pushing through. Our current solution is packing up and driving out of it, but it could add 4 or 5 hours of hunting if we can connect in shit conditions. I think that'll take an extreme understanding of where they go then so we can sneak into their phone booth. We know we're striking ears n not triggering em to come fight or inquire.. What will change this? Rich and his level hunters are the best resource I can think of..

Thank yal for your time and input,

SwiftyP

The info might be there, just the screen names are gone so searching by screen name or knowing who said what is impossible. But the past is the past and bitching about it won't change it
Maybe unbanning their names, wwould Bring them back up in the search feature?

Yeah. A search for "Rich Higgins" turned up that older contentious stuff. It's a bummer at its best... Doesn't look like there's going to be aa answer that satisfies everyone.

What a shame..

Yeah. A search for "Rich Higgins" turned up that older contentious stuff. It's a bummer at its best... Doesn't look like there's going to be aa answer that satisfies everyone.

What a shame..
The key word search works well, so you should be able to dig around using that. Not quite the same as reading all the posts by just one guy, but you can dig up loads of incredibly useful and applicable information using that tool.

I actually searched him on the ‘net a few days ago (not this forum) and there’s still some good information out there he had posted on other forums from like 2003, specifically on coyote howls/vocalizations, as that was what I’m researching right now. I actually printed it off to read and have to refer back. I did the same with Jay Nistetter’s posts 20-some years back with reeds and tuning…

So it’s out there. I think Higgins and Rich Cronk had disagreements for years but there’s a lot of that “pissing contest” stuff amongst these guys that have been doing it for years. Just my 2 cents.

Here are three conversations with Rich later in life. I have no idea if he's still alive. I sure hope so..

Clickin the link should open a player. The first one is lower audio quality. They had a mic failure and he's speaking into the phone. Anyway. It might be that he thinks alot like I do and that causes me to wanna hear more. We all have seen alot of different approaches that got yotes in the truck.

Yal enjoy if you're inclined:

https://traffic.libsyn.com/secure/d...-higgans-on-coyotes-part-1.mp3?dest-id=726240

https://traffic.libsyn.com/secure/d...ans-part2-the-coyotes-nose.mp3?dest-id=726240

https://traffic.libsyn.com/secure/d...tor-hunting-higgins-part-3.mp3?dest-id=726240

I had a horn howler that was both scrimshaw and 3d engraved that was made by Travis Lindley. Sold it to Alaskanyoter years ago. Most beautiful howler I've ever seen. Wish I hadn't sold it.

Higgins howlers were beautiful In their own right with silver inlays and unique shape and sounded amazing due to the elk banded mouthpiece and enhanced even more with Rich's ability to blow it.

Here are some really old pics of Rich from one of the early PM conventions. Sorry for the quality as they are pics of a computer screen.
1000000922.jpg
1000000921.jpg
1000000920.jpg

Here are three conversations with Rich later in life. I have no idea if he's still alive. I sure hope so..

Clickin the link should open a player. The first one is lower audio quality. They had a mic failure and he's speaking into the phone. Anyway. It might be that he thinks alot like I do and that causes me to wanna hear more. We all have seen alot of different approaches that got yotes in the truck.

Yal enjoy if you're inclined:

https://traffic.libsyn.com/secure/d...-higgans-on-coyotes-part-1.mp3?dest-id=726240

https://traffic.libsyn.com/secure/d...ans-part2-the-coyotes-nose.mp3?dest-id=726240

https://traffic.libsyn.com/secure/d...tor-hunting-higgins-part-3.mp3?dest-id=726240
Thanks for the links. I’d forgot about Steve Criner (Dog Soldier).

Good stuff with the Rich Higgins interviews via Steve Criner’s podcast. In a nutshell,

Part 1, talking about 7 motivation triggers
Hunger, greed, competition, curiosity, entertainment, social structure, territorial boundaries

Part 2, 5 attributes a coyote develops for survival
Movement (most important) contrast, reflectivity, shape, color

Part 3 Coyote behaviors, thinking, reason
Studies conducted

Back