Love of the dark

sandman22250

I’m a coyote hunter and like to call coyotes whenever I can but have this new found love of the dark that sometimes feels like a addiction I switched from night vision to a thermal and it’s like cheating in some way seeing anything that is living without the eyes shining back at you seems not even a field mouse can pass by without being detected the creatures of the night passing by without a clue you are there with the only sound being the sound of the calls you use and then you get the response of coyotes that you have fooled I love the dark
IMG_8191.jpeg

You are correct. My first experience with a thermal had deer and other critters walking by almost close enough to touch. No matter if it’s a full moon or new moon, I try and stay in the shadows just because that seems the right thing to do.
I carry a headlamp either on my head or in my pocket, but only use it to check dead predators. I prefer walking in and out in the dark.

You are correct. My first experience with a thermal had deer and other critters walking by almost close enough to touch. No matter if it’s a full moon or new moon, I try and stay in the shadows just because that seems the right thing to do.
I carry a headlamp either on my head or in my pocket, but only use it to check dead predators. I prefer walking in and out in the dark.
That’s me I have a little head lamp that I check them with before I pick them up then it’s off

I use my Night eyes headlamp to navigate unless the moon is bright--I don't like falling down (it takes a long time to heal at my age) and there is practically no smooth, let alone level ground here.

I’m a coyote hunter and like to call coyotes whenever I can but have this new found love of the dark that sometimes feels like a addiction I switched from night vision to a thermal and it’s like cheating in some way seeing anything that is living without the eyes shining back at you seems not even a field mouse can pass by without being detected the creatures of the night passing by without a clue you are there with the only sound being the sound of the calls you use and then you get the response of coyotes that you have fooled I love the dark.
I too have a love of the dark. So many people in my life’s circle cannot understand my desire to be out in total blackness and try to call in things with teeth! I truly love it!

Kind of a funny tidbit here… Not much wigs me out being out in total darkness. I’ve had so many animals so close to me, I could smell them. But if I ever envision anything in my mind that kind of freaks me out, it is the face of Regan from the original Exorcist movie. I saw the movie when I was a kid of 5 or 6 in the 70’s and it has been stuck in my brain ever since! Lol… It’s odd that I never think about it when calling for predators, but when I’m deer hunting, and waiting for light to arrive the image frequently pops into my head! Weird, huh? 😂

staring Through the scanner is addictive. I have also battled insomnia for years, this just fills that time. I have some anti-social tics as well, especially large crowds and fake people, at night while most people are asleep the world just has a better vibe
Jeremy, you just described me perfectly. 100%, spot on perfect!

My love of the dark started at about age 21, when I was invited to go coon hunting for the first time. It wasn't long till I had me a dog and the nights were mine. Most of time just me and my dog roaming the hills. This thermal thing is like an addictive drug to me. I just can't seem to get enough.

Anecdotal here so don't take offense. You all have no idea what 'dark' is unless you have experienced 1000' underground and miles back in from the surface of mine and then turn your caplight off. I don't think even Simone Biles's spatial awareness would allow her to touch the tip of her nose the first time.:unsure:

Funny little story…
We adopted late in life (CJ) and I took him coon hunting one night. He was maybe 4 years old and I wanted to teach him about the outdoors like I’d done with my grown boys. I wanted to teach him not to be afraid of the dark.
The guy with the dogs had let them out and we were all standing around just listening.
It was a beautiful cold night with nothing but stars twinkling and no sound except the normal night sounds.
All of a sudden CJ screams “Oh my God I have Super Powers!! I can see in the dark!! I see Mr. Craig, Carson, the guy that brought the dogs, and you Daddy!! I can see in the dark! I’m a SuperHero!!”
We all died laughing!!
The rest of the night I spent trying to explain how he could see in the dark. The first thing he told his mom when we got home was how he was a super hero and had “night vision”.

Funny little story…
We adopted late in life (CJ) and I took him coon hunting one night. He was maybe 4 years old and I wanted to teach him about the outdoors like I’d done with my grown boys. I wanted to teach him not to be afraid of the dark.
The guy with the dogs had let them out and we were all standing around just listening.
It was a beautiful cold night with nothing but stars twinkling and no sound except the normal night sounds.
All of a sudden CJ screams “Oh my God I have Super Powers!! I can see in the dark!! I see Mr. Craig, Carson, the guy that brought the dogs, and you Daddy!! I can see in the dark! I’m a SuperHero!!”
We all died laughing!!
The rest of the night I spent trying to explain how he could see in the dark. The first thing he told his mom when we got home was how he was a super hero and had “night vision”.
That’s awesome great memories to have I too will have memories with my daughter and hunting IMG_4253.jpegIMG_9846.jpeg

Back