Is a coyote just a coyote, all the time, never, or just sometimes.

Where I hunt now they are always completely silent, until they're not. Last year I had one come charging into pup distress, then a week later, same spot and time of day, another ran away when I played the same sound - and vice versa. Been in other parts of the country where they came into a call while were sitting on a hillside in white t-shirts and cowboy hats. I think its a combination of how comfortable they are, their general mood, whether they think they're the top predator in the area, etc. And what they smell of course.

The more I learn about coyotes the more I realize I don’t know about them. I also don’t think there aren’t really any coyote experts. Most of the big video guys hunt in a coyote rich environment, with lots of competition for food. Same as the old fur trappers would work an area and catch the easy stuff and move on, time is money. That said I’m not knocking any body for what they do. Reducing coyote numbers is vital to the ecosystem while a great time all in one. I think all we can do is just draw our own conclusions from our own experiences. My yotes are smart they are hunted 24/365 do to the sheep n goats. Lots are killed off quick and easy. Others is like playing a chess game in the dark, they continually evolve and learn us. So to my point, I’m working and Coyote in the pasture where I live. This coyote isn’t killing, is completely silent and alone in a big pasture. There are coyotes in the next pasture, yet they share nothing in common. I decided to make a dead pile with that last group of pigs. He hit it the first night so I hung a camera 2nd night. This is super uncommon here, yet common in other places. So this yote is just a yote or is it. Once I’ve taken it I believe some of the mystic/mystery will be reviled. Old dog trying just live out his time? Young dog trying to survive and not clash with other yotes. Sickly yote or injured in some way. I should be able to close him out by weekend end. Then in truth really what knowledge will I have gained. Probably nothing significant, as each coyote is it’s own coyote. Every coyote presents its own challenges in figure out how to take it. All coyotes aren’t killers of stock and or fawns. I know this to be true, now can they become killers. That one I cannot be certain, I’ve killed a lot of yotes that survive on plants and rodents. While living among goats that were kidding. Coyotes are probably the most fascinating critter to me. It kinda hurts me to know that I’ll never really know them.View attachment 11083View attachment 11084View attachment 11085
You wrote a good analogy on your views of coyotes. What many if not most coyote hunter(s) do not do is. Observe them un-molested. Observe them from a distance. Whether that coyote is alone, paired up or in a Family unit. Most hunters do not realize. How they truly use the wind. While in their natural habitat. Many hunters do not realize. Just how keen their hearing ability is.(Try sneaking in on one. When the ground underfoot is crunchy loud). Many if not most hunters. Do not realize, the fact that coyotes spend the vast majority of their time. On the down-wind slopes of hills/ridgelines. Many if not most coyotes, while awake. Continually scan their down & cross-wind areas. Many if not most coyote hunters. Don't realize, coyotes use the up-wind/windward side of hills. Mainly as transition areas. To get from one down-wind area. To the next down-wind area. Coyotes tend not to linger long, out in the wind. Or on the windward side of hills/ridge lines areas. I read a phrase a long time ago & it has merit. "A dead coyote never taught me a thing" Author~ unknown. I've read quite a bit of other coyote hunter's views. Some have merit & are a worthy read. While other's opinions are misguided. Because that hunter did not act ideal. But because of his/her lack of coyote behavior knowledge. And understanding a coyote's abilities. Managed to kill one anyway. Thus, that hunter learned a false truth. When hunting a given coyote in the future. Coyotes are a remarkable critter, for sure.

You wrote a good analogy on your views of coyotes. What many if not most coyote hunter(s) do not do is. Observe them un-molested. Observe them from a distance. Whether that coyote is alone, paired up or in a Family unit. Most hunters do not realize. How they truly use the wind. While in their natural habitat. Many hunters do not realize. Just how keen their hearing ability is.(Try sneaking in on one. When the ground underfoot is crunchy loud). Many if not most hunters. Do not realize, the fact that coyotes spend the vast majority of their time. On the down-wind slopes of hills/ridgelines. Many if not most coyotes, while awake. Continually scan their down & cross-wind areas. Many if not most coyote hunters. Don't realize, coyotes use the up-wind/windward side of hills. Mainly as transition areas. To get from one down-wind area. To the next down-wind area. Coyotes tend not to linger long, out in the wind. Or on the windward side of hills/ridge lines areas. I read a phrase a long time ago & it has merit. "A dead coyote never taught me a thing" Author~ unknown. I've read quite a bit of other coyote hunter's views. Some have merit & are a worthy read. While other's opinions are misguided. Because that hunter did not act ideal. But because of his/her lack of coyote behavior knowledge. And understanding a coyote's abilities. Managed to kill one anyway. Thus, that hunter learned a false truth. When hunting a given coyote in the future. Coyotes are a remarkable critter, for sure.
Just my opinion here… I like to give credit where credit is due. I will say that (I believe?) that “many, if not most” accomplished coyote hunters know and understand all or most of the things you have laid out in your post. They became accomplished hunters by sticking with it and figuring out “many, if not most” of the things you laid out about the coyote in your post.

I will give it to you that inexperienced coyote hunters (probably) do not understand these things. The “many, if not most” that don’t figure it out, (generally) do not stick with the sport. The remaining ones (generally) go on to become reasonably established coyote hunters, and with time, experience and dogged determination to excel, become accomplished coyote hunters.

Last edited:
Just my opinion here… I like to give credit where credit is due. I will say that (I believe?) that “many, if not most” accomplished coyote hunters know and understand all or most of the things you have laid out in your post. They became accomplished hunters by sticking with it and figuring out “many, if not most” of the things you laid out about the coyote in your post.

I will give it to you that inexperienced coyote hunters (probably) do not understand these things. The “many, if not most” that don’t figure it out, (generally) do not stick with the sport. The remaining ones (generally) go on to become reasonably established coyote hunters, and with time, experience and dogged determination to excel, become accomplished coyote hunters.
Hunt0168, When you used the word "accomplished". Made me realize you get me. For many/most hunters. Who have taken the time to understand coyote behaviors & abilities. Are indeed on the "'accomplished" trail of knowledge. One example I've picked up from some less experienced hunters is. Their lack of attention to not making noise on the way into a land mass. To either make a call stand or sneak in on a sleeper coyote. They seen from a roadway. They would tromp into an area. Like a bull in a china closet. Another hunt tactic many hunters. Even ones with experience do not fully grasp. Is walking into an area. With the wind in their face. The down-side to that tactic is. A coyote up ahead over the next ridgeline. Will be looking his way. When a hunter does that. He just reduced his own odds. Thus, he hasn't learned much. Same stupid tactic, repeated over & over. The point to my rambling is. Remain stealthy quiet, hidden from a coyotes view. And keep your scent from waffling to them. In finality, beat that coyotes sense's. And you will become & remain much more successful.

Back