Is a coyote just a coyote, all the time, never, or just sometimes.

Oldcoyotetrapper

The more I learn about coyotes the more I realize I don’t know about them. I also don’t think there aren’t really any coyote experts. Most of the big video guys hunt in a coyote rich environment, with lots of competition for food. Same as the old fur trappers would work an area and catch the easy stuff and move on, time is money. That said I’m not knocking any body for what they do. Reducing coyote numbers is vital to the ecosystem while a great time all in one. I think all we can do is just draw our own conclusions from our own experiences. My yotes are smart they are hunted 24/365 do to the sheep n goats. Lots are killed off quick and easy. Others is like playing a chess game in the dark, they continually evolve and learn us. So to my point, I’m working and Coyote in the pasture where I live. This coyote isn’t killing, is completely silent and alone in a big pasture. There are coyotes in the next pasture, yet they share nothing in common. I decided to make a dead pile with that last group of pigs. He hit it the first night so I hung a camera 2nd night. This is super uncommon here, yet common in other places. So this yote is just a yote or is it. Once I’ve taken it I believe some of the mystic/mystery will be reviled. Old dog trying just live out his time? Young dog trying to survive and not clash with other yotes. Sickly yote or injured in some way. I should be able to close him out by weekend end. Then in truth really what knowledge will I have gained. Probably nothing significant, as each coyote is it’s own coyote. Every coyote presents its own challenges in figure out how to take it. All coyotes aren’t killers of stock and or fawns. I know this to be true, now can they become killers. That one I cannot be certain, I’ve killed a lot of yotes that survive on plants and rodents. While living among goats that were kidding. Coyotes are probably the most fascinating critter to me. It kinda hurts me to know that I’ll never really know them.
IMG_5412.jpeg
IMG_5415.jpeg
IMG_5416.jpeg

My yotes are smart they are hunted 24/365 do to the sheep n goats. Lots are killed off quick and easy. Others is like playing a chess game in the dark, they continually evolve and learn us.

Every coyote presents its own challenges in figure out how to take it. All coyotes aren’t killers of stock and or fawns. I know this to be true, now can they become killers. That one I cannot be certain, I’ve killed a lot of yotes that survive on plants and rodents. While living among goats that were kidding. Coyotes are probably the most fascinating critter to me. It kinda hurts me to know that I’ll never really know them.
AMEN!

I think the high numbers killing/trapping guys kill/trap in high density areas.
All critters adapt to their surroundings. And all hunters/trappers learn how to make things happen in their areas to an extent.
Human scent in one area may push a coyote out of the county. In another area it’ll all depend on how strong it is and his previous experiences.
Had a place I trapped back in June and with 9 cameras of mine plus the landowners, we neither had pics of coyotes and I couldn’t find the first track. Caught plenty of coons and possums but no coyotes.
Last night he sends me a recording from one of his cameras of a pack howling so close it actually spooks the deer on camera. Now where were those coyotes during the Summer months? I walked every road/break it was possible to see a track. Had cameras up other than where I had sets and nothing.
He said he called the plantation manager that borders his property and sent him the sounds and he said a trapper had just left his property and caught 13 in the 2 weeks he was there. Did those coyotes stay on the plantation and get “pushed” over by the trapper or were they there the entire time and it was denning time and they just weren’t getting out much?
I don’t get to see the effects coyotes have on properties, I just get to hear from landowners about the effects of having them gone.
Y’all have seen my deer post, but I think a “mature” coyote or hog is harder to kill than a mature buck. And what’s worse is I can trap or hunt coyotes and hogs, lol.

A coyote is a coyote only by genus and species. They’re wired to survive at all costs. They react and respond to the same basic triggers for a given situation.

The reaction and response can vary depending upon many influencing factors. The individual temperament being one of the factors.

They all need to eat. They all need to breed. They will either protect their territory or be pushed out. They will survive or die trying.

Did those coyotes stay on the plantation and get “pushed” over by the trapper or were they there the entire time and it was denning time and they just weren’t getting out much?
I don’t get to see the effects coyotes have on properties, I just get to hear from landowners about the effects of having them gone.
Y’all have seen my deer post, but
I suspect they were just sticking closer to the den; wouldn't think a trapper would push coyotes out of a given area.
I think a “mature” coyote or hog is harder to kill than a mature buck.
Agree; I'd much rather hunt coyotes than deer.

i was told a long time ago that hunting coyotes is like hunting turkeys. to be successful you have to adapt try to out think them. set up differently and use new sounds. dont set up in the same field at the same spots and use the same sounds at the same time. they just wont come in. they'll hang back expect you to come to them.

everyone we call in and it gets away, just learned a thing or two.

I think the high numbers killing/trapping guys kill/trap in high density areas.
All critters adapt to their surroundings. And all hunters/trappers learn how to make things happen in their areas to an extent.
Human scent in one area may push a coyote out of the county. In another area it’ll all depend on how strong it is and his previous experiences.
Had a place I trapped back in June and with 9 cameras of mine plus the landowners, we neither had pics of coyotes and I couldn’t find the first track. Caught plenty of coons and possums but no coyotes.
Last night he sends me a recording from one of his cameras of a pack howling so close it actually spooks the deer on camera. Now where were those coyotes during the Summer months? I walked every road/break it was possible to see a track. Had cameras up other than where I had sets and nothing.
He said he called the plantation manager that borders his property and sent him the sounds and he said a trapper had just left his property and caught 13 in the 2 weeks he was there. Did those coyotes stay on the plantation and get “pushed” over by the trapper or were they there the entire time and it was denning time and they just weren’t getting out much?
Y’all have seen my deer post, but I think a “mature” coyote or hog is harder to kill than a mature buck. And what’s worse is I can trap or hunt coyotes and hogs, lol.
Yep i agree they are crazy smart

A coyote is a coyote only by genus and species. They’re wired to survive at all costs. They react and respond to the same basic triggers for a given situation.

The reaction and response can vary depending upon many influencing factors. The individual temperament being one of the factors.

They all need to eat. They all need to breed. They will either protect their territory or be pushed out. They will survive or die trying.
I think that sums it up nicely.

i was told a long time ago that hunting coyotes is like hunting turkeys. to be successful you have to adapt try to out think them. set up differently and use new sounds. dont set up in the same field at the same spots and use the same sounds at the same time. they just wont come in. they'll hang back expect you to come to them.

everyone we call in and it gets away, just learned a thing or two.
Exactly its like handing them a PHD in survival

Yep i agree they are crazy smart

This might piss a few people off, but most of the so called coyote hunters are slob hunters. I think this does the most to educate coyotes. You've all seen the coyote just standing there while you drive by. The second you slow down, they're off like a strip assed ape. Who do you think taught them that?
To me, "hunting" means applying field craft to your endeavor. Be a stillhunter. Walking slowing, moving quietly. Nonthreatening. Get to someplace where most are too lazy to go. You'll be surprised at how much more you see. A mentor used to tell me that indians had a saying, "Walk fast, see little, walk slow, see much". I still think about that to remind myself to slow down.
My wife and I walked up a mountain. When we got to the top, we saw bobcat in a pile of rocks. The bobcat wasn't concerned about us but was looking in the opposite direction. When we got to the top, we saw what had the bobcat's attention. It was a coyote. To make a long story just a little bit longer, that coyote walked with us across the top of the ridge for about half a mile back to our vehicle.
I think humans educate all game. Don't be a human, be a hunter.

That's why I always love hearing stories on the forum. No matter how long you have been at it coyotes will always find a way to be different. The only certainty with coyotes is there is never an instance when you can say " a coyote will always..." or "a coyote will never"
Thus a coyote being just a coyote!
By the way this has come up fairly often lately so I'll ask the question a little differently. If a coyote isn't just a coyote, what is it?

Thus a coyote being just a coyote!
By the way this has come up fairly often lately so I'll ask the question a little differently. If a coyote isn't just a coyote, what is it?
The slickest trickster out there. You can’t believe anything you have been told will work. When you think you have a handle on it they change things up on you. You sometimes get a lot of yapping but nothing to show for it. They’re very frustrating.

For these reasons, I believe they are DEMOCRATS!

What is a "so called coyote hunter"? Is my hunting buddy(paraplegic) a so called coyote hunter? Only because he has got out of a pickup onto a snow sled(by himself) and pushed across 1/4+ mile of snowy field with his hands and shot a sleeping coyote.
Well Spotstalkshoot, I would consider your buddy a badazz coyote hunter! Love it!

To me, "hunting" means applying field craft to your endeavor. Be a stillhunter. Walking slowing, moving quietly. Nonthreatening. Get to someplace where most are too lazy to go.
Your buddy did everything right except “walk slowly”.

The slickest trickster out there. You can’t believe anything you have been told will work. When you think you have a handle on it they change things up on you. You sometimes get a lot of yapping but nothing to show for it. They’re very frustrating.

Don't give them any ideas. They'll be registering them to vote and charging us with assassination.

What is a "so called coyote hunter"? Is my hunting buddy(paraplegic) a so called coyote hunter? Only because he has got out of a pickup onto a snow sled(by himself) and pushed across 1/4+ mile of snowy field with his hands and shot a sleeping coyote.
Anybody that's been around here awhile remembers Tripod. Mark was a para and a stone cold killer from his pickup. A couple of newbs to the site were so disrespectful of him hunting from the truck, without knowing his story that he got mad and hasn't posted since. Him and your buddy met the challenge head on and I agree are badazz. Easy to pass judgement from behind a screen. Words still mean something to my generation. The word "most" is one of them.

Anybody that's been around here awhile remembers Tripod. Mark was a para and a stone cold killer from his pickup. A couple of newbs to the site were so disrespectful of him hunting from the truck, without knowing his story that he got mad and hasn't posted since. Him and your buddy met the challenge head on and I agree are badazz. Easy to pass judgement from behind a screen. Words still mean something to my generation. The word "most" is one of them.
Well stated, flint! (y) (y) I see one of Mark's posts every once in a while and am disappointed when I look at the date and see it was an old post someone had revived.

Back