First Impressions of the Iray TH50c V2

Erie660

I had the Pulsar XG50 discontinued model and decided to sell it and purchase the Iray. If it was not for the 1500.00 off the Iray, I would have kept the Pulsar. I can say I like the battery set up better in the Pulsar. Also, taking the battery cover and the USB charge port off the Iray, it’s not as easy as the Pulsar, another disadvantage. When you plug in the Pulsar to charge the battery it charges both, the internal and the removable battery. Iray does not do this, you have to take the removable battery out and charge separately. An inconvenience I will have to get use to. The Pulsar has more reticle options than the Iray, but since I only used a couple different ones that’s not an issue. I will say, navigating through the menu screens is pretty easy with the Iray, that’s a plus. The view finder and the picture image is definitely better than the previous XG50 that I had. I am definitely going to enjoy the clarity of this scope. I have not zeroed it yet but I did have it out last night to get familiar with it and it does have a great image. There is also a custom reticle available to purchase where you can apply your ballistic information. I have a Telos LRF XP50 for a scanner so not having a LRF on the scope wasn’t a issue. Iray does offer a LRF for the TH50c V2 for 799.00, but it attaches to the scope with a scope ring. Also, I did not think that the Iray had a recoil activated video, but according to the menu on the scope it does. The Pulsar did not have that either. If it works on the Iray that’s a plus, because I could never remember to turn the video on with the Pulsar. Another reason I went with the Iray is the 5yr warranty and the guaranteed 5 day turn around if you have to send the scope in for warranty.

If the battery cover is like the V1 it is tight. I would carry a couple extra batteries in my pocket if we were planning on being out long. With that said, I don’t think I’ve ever even used the internal battery except for changing out batteries in the field.
Don’t know about the V2, but the V1 has an option for when it’s really humid and that really does work.
The Bolt was my first thermal and I thought it was everything I thought it would be. As far as the shot activated recording, that must be an upgrade on the V2 because I don’t recall seeing that on the V1. And yes, clarity is better than the Pulsar I’ve looked through.
With all that said, I’ve got my much cheaper AGM looking really close to the iRay. The more you play with it the more you’ll learn how to tweak it to your liking.

Rattler 35 640 V2 here. Works great, lite weight. Little dissapointed in depth of field, focus gets a little blurry. The 25 dia works better.

Last edited:
Back