Enticement

DoubleUp

This was my fourth attempt on this pair since the beginning of September. Not yet harvested crops had prevented me from getting in close enough to break them loose previously. Last night I was able to get to within about 300 yds. of their core area. I gave them a little rabbit to start, but that didn’t get any response. I switched to some female whimper sounds, but still no response, so I gave them a serenade.

This kicked them into high gear and they responded with numerous howls. I could tell they were moving and getting closer from their replies. In just a couple of minutes the pair showed up in the field. The female was hanging back a bit, but then I gave the big male some enticement with a pitiful rabbit sound, and he couldn’t resist. I muted the call, and he stopped at about 90 yds. and he took one in his chest. He flounced a bit, but the bullet had found its mark. The female beat a hasty retreat never to look back. I was surprised to find this was a collared coyote by the USFWS and removed it to turn into them. It gave me a lot of satisfaction to finally fool this pair and outwit this big male, and the wiser female lives to die another day. I suppose only the hunter can experience the satisfaction of preying on one of the world’s craftiest predators.

According to USFWS, this coyote was tagged in the Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge a year ago and estimated at one year of age. They lost contact with him in April this year around the town of Plymouth which is about 50 miles west from where he was tagged. Where I killed him is another 50 miles south of that, but he would have needed to cross the Pamlico River which would have been about a 1.5-mile swim or travelled much farther west and crossed a bridge or narrower place in the river. It seems this big fellow was quite the nomad.

Next stand, I had a quad coming to the same pitiful rabbit sound. Two of them were hanging back a little, but the lead pair was coming on strong. The female had an injured foot either from a trap or being shot previously. I muted the call and they stopped at about 130 yds. I put one in the male’s chest a bit low but it was a fatal blow to him even as he ran dying. The female stopped and looked back, and I also hit her low. She spun and ran. I kept thinking she would go down, but she never did until she stopped at 300 yds. and I hit her with a Hail Mary that connected. I had to settle for two of four, and the other two will get their opportunity in a couple of weeks.

By the time I got back to my truck, coyotes were sounding in the night, and I mentally marked their positions for a future appointment. The light northerly breeze was just enough to cool the temps so the mosquitoes didn’t want to fly. It was a good night to be in the midst of God’s wonderful creation and enjoy the freedom to hunt an apex predator and beat him at his best.

Very cool. That first male was a real badass; all that traveling and adventure along the way, looked well fed. I wonder why the USFWS tags them; maybe to study their travel patterns?

They are tagged in 5 counties in northeastern NC which are part of the red wolf (so-called) recovery area. Someone got the bright idea to sterilize the coyotes and tag them so if they paired up and mated with a red wolf, they wouldn't produce any hybrids. Crazy part is the red wolf dna is 75% coyote and 24% grey wolf with about 1% dog thrown in. So, they are all hybrids anyway. Just part of the idiocy of bureaucracy and not admitting to failure.

Back