Deer Season

This is a timely thread because I don't always deer hunt, but this year I asked my 15 yo daughter, our youngest kid, if she wanted to hunt and she said yes. She's never hunted or shot with me much, none of our 3 girls have, so I'm excited. I set up an ar with the 22lr conversion to get her started, and tonight she was shooting pieces of brick out at 200 yds with the 223. When she gets good and used to that I'll set her up with one of my 30 RAR uppers, shoots a 125 sst at 2800 fps. If that's too much we'll probably build a Grendel. Our deer season is only 9 days, starts the middle of Nov. One reason I love ARs, they're so easy to set up to fit anyone. She needs the scope set a couple inches further back than me but then it works really well.

I’m undecided. May just be a game time decision. I’m pretty sure he’s 5.5 but I only think he’s in the 140’s. Of course we had pics of an 8pt that we didn’t think was even 130” and he kept getting bigger as he walked in, lol. He went 142”. 10’s we “like” to let them get to 150’s.

Back when myself and several buddies lived together, we decided to throw a New Years Eve party. We had an archery kill fork buck dressed/ frozen whole in a bike bag. We borrowed a pig roaster. The deer was thawed, stuffed with fruit/veggies Hawaiian style. Sewn and wrapped in chicken wire. Put on the charcoal grill, after it started sweating I used canning salt followed by honey. All day cook. My fall bear roasts(fat rmoved) were slow cooker like beef roasts. Both deer and bear were shredded. Took until almost midnight and 100 plus party goers before some of the women asked about the pork(deer) and the beef(bear), most just were surprised we could cook.

Back