Deer hunting subsonic

DoubleLungRage

I bought three boxes of HOP's 308 190gr HPBT subsonics to mess around with. After shooting some of it I started thinking about a few spots that would be great to use for deer. These shots would be 25-50 yards.

Anyone have any experience with shooting deer with subsonics? I watched some videos on guys shooting wild goats with them. Worked great.

The HOP's 190gr HPBT is supposed to be designed specifically for subsonic hunting.

Not on deer (yet) but have shot a lot of woodchucks with subs out of my 300BO. I think you will be fine out to 100 yards as long as you are using a bullet designed to expand/open up at subsonic speeds. What you will really want to consider is your zero. I'm shooting 190 gr bullets with a 100 yard zero. I have to aim a good 3" low at 50 yards, and almost 5" high at 125. It's not a huge deal for me to get a range and to pull out my phone and look at my ballistics chart when sitting on a woodchuck. You might not have the time for that on a deer hunt. I'd suggest looking at a ballistics chart using all of your information and see what zero would work best for you. I use the Hornady app on my phone and decided 100 was the best for what I'm doing. My longest shot on a chuck so far is 140 yards, and I'd say that's about max for me.

Not on deer (yet) but have shot a lot of woodchucks with subs out of my 300BO. I think you will be fine out to 100 yards as long as you are using a bullet designed to expand/open up at subsonic speeds. What you will really want to consider is your zero. I'm shooting 190 gr bullets with a 100 yard zero. I have to aim a good 3" low at 50 yards, and almost 5" high at 125. It's not a huge deal for me to get a range and to pull out my phone and look at my ballistics chart when sitting on a woodchuck. You might not have the time for that on a deer hunt. I'd suggest looking at a ballistics chart using all of your information and see what zero would work best for you. I use the Hornady app on my phone and decided 100 was the best for what I'm doing. My longest shot on a chuck so far is 140 yards, and I'd say that's about max for me.

I already see from shooting targets in the yard that you need to be sure of your distance. It's like a bow, even 20 yards can make a difference. When I get a free minute I plan on taking my range finder and measuring the actual drop from 40 to 100. No need to go any further than that. I will say this..... they are crazy fun to shoot.

Two of my grandsons have taken several deer with subsonic 300 Blackout. We load the Hornady 190 gr Sub-X bullet. They get the job done. The oldest, now 8, has decided he prefers neck shots so they don't run. The ones that do run don't go far. Farthest shot so far was about 70 yards.
Bobby

Two of my grandsons have taken several deer with subsonic 300 Blackout. We load the Hornady 190 gr Sub-X bullet. They get the job done. The oldest, now 8, has decided he prefers neck shots so they don't run. The ones that do run don't go far. Farthest shot so far was about 70 yards.
Bobby

At what distance do you set the scope for them?

Scope is sighted in at 50 yards.
@DoubleLungRage
With my set-up, a 50 yard zero would have me holding just shy of 1.5" high at 70. I think this is a great option for what you are trying to do on close range deer. A 50 yard zero for what I'm doing would have me holding over more than 6" at just 100 yards. I get too many shots at woodchucks in the 90-110 range that it's just not a good option for me. I think the ballistics chart will tell you everything you need to know for subsonic rounds. They are definitely getting lobbed down range and just about every 5 yards matters.

@DoubleLungRage
With my set-up, a 50 yard zero would have me holding just shy of 1.5" high at 70. I think this is a great option for what you are trying to do on close range deer. A 50 yard zero for what I'm doing would have me holding over more than 6" at just 100 yards. I get too many shots at woodchucks in the 90-110 range that it's just not a good option for me. I think the ballistics chart will tell you everything you need to know for subsonic rounds. They are definitely getting lobbed down range and just about every 5 yards matters.

I originally bought the suppressed ammo to shoot coons off of my feeders whenever coon season comes in. I wanted something as quite as I could get because there will be 6-7 coons at the feeder at a time. (I'm also going to trap them when trapping season comes in.) I didn't want to buy a new rifle so I went with a 308 that I already had because they are said to be very quiet with subsonics and suppressed.

After shooting some and seeing how quiet they actually are I thought about a few spots I have to deer hunt. Unfortunately, houses have sprung up all around these spots. I used to just bow hunt, but now that I am back to rifle hunting it crossed my mind and I'm sure the neighbors would appreciate it. LoL I never moved my bow stands so from the stands to the feeders is less than 40 yards. At neither of these spots is a shot over 60-70 yards even possible. I have been shooting it at 50 yards and it's dead on accurate. I haven't measured the group size, but it's well within an inch. I'm actually surprised at how accurate it is. I have no desire to even try to shoot a deer at 100 yards with them.

I appreciate y'alls help.

Back