Dads 222 kills coyote after 50 years

DJud

I haven't posted here for many years (couldn't even remember my old login and had to create a new one) but wanted to share this experience.

When I was a young kid my dad had a Harington & Richardson 222 Rem in his gun cabinet that I loved. I would often take it out of the gun cabinet and look through the scope and wish that I could take it out and shoot it. My entire life growing up I never saw my dad shoot this rifle, not one time. Fast forward many years to earlier this past summer I asked my dad about this old rifle. He told me that he bought it in the early 70's and shot a jack rabbit with it the summer he bought it but when he took the rifle out that winter on a very cold day to shoot rabbits the firing pin had froze and the gun wouldn't shoot. He said that this frustrated him and the gun was put in the cabinet and never used.

Fast forward about 50 years or so my dad let me borrow the rifle to shoot a coyote this fall. First, I loaded some 50 grain Vmax bullets with Varget powder and sighted the rifle in. The rifle has an old Weaver 3X9 scope from when my dad originally bought the gun and I was very pleased with how well it shot.

This is a 3 shot group at 100 yards.
IMG_9717.png

Last week, I was elk hunting with me wife and kids and found an area that had a lot coyote sign and I talked my wife and kids into making a stand or two to see if we could call in a coyote. This particular stand it was just my wife and I and after about 3 minutes of a cottontail distress sound this coyote came from behind us on our right hand side. It got out in front of us about 100 yards and stopped broadside. I was very pleased with the performance of the old 222 and the 50 grain Vmax, it left about a quarter sized exit but was not bad at all.

This is our stand location.
IMG_9716.png

Here is the coyote and my dads 222 Rem.
IMG_9715.png

Last edited:
Those old H&Rs were beautiful rifles. Sounds like it just needed to get a good cleaning. One of my favorite rounds is the 222 Rem, I've been killing stuff with it for 50+ years in one form or another, even won the PM Egg Shoot with a 222 Rem, I'm down to three now, always subject to change.

I couldn't access the pics. It is in a form I don't know so I won't click on them.

Those old H&Rs were beautiful rifles. Sounds like it just needed to get a good cleaning. One of my favorite rounds is the 222 Rem, I've been killing stuff with it for 50+ years in one form or another, even won the PM Egg Shoot with a 222 Rem, I'm down to three now, always subject to change.

I couldn't access the pics. It is in a form I don't know so I won't click on them.
I uploaded the photos direct from my phone, hopefully they work now.

Always fun using Dads guns to hunt with. Makes you feel connected. Used my dad's ruger 7mm (although altered by me) to kill a deer a couple weeks ago. One shot offhand through the pump.

Back