Coyote flat set from start to catch

I spent a 1/2 hour building a perfect flat set once. Problem is I didn't attach the chain to the stake. Day 2 the coyote hobbled off with my trap.

I loved foothold trapping for coyotes.

Im far removed from trapping nowdays, so do jaws have to be padded and offset in Texas or is that just for other places? Swiveled?

Haha, typical coyote response. They look at ya like, yeah you caught me, I’m sorry, now what?
Does that dirt harden up any?
All of my places have a spot or two with good dirt, but mostly clay. Drags save the day in clay unless you don’t mind leaving anchors in the ground when pulling, lol. To tell you how bad our clay is, I was using 12” Super Stakes and would only beat them in about 8” and never had a trap missing, lol. In good dirt I’ll pound the entire 12” in and still be good.
With drags, just put that trap back in its bed and ready for another!

Haha, typical coyote response. They look at ya like, yeah you caught me, I’m sorry, now what?
Does that dirt harden up any?
All of my places have a spot or two with good dirt, but mostly clay. Drags save the day in clay unless you don’t mind leaving anchors in the ground when pulling, lol. To tell you how bad our clay is, I was using 12” Super Stakes and would only beat them in about 8” and never had a trap missing, lol. In good dirt I’ll pound the entire 12” in and still be good.
With drags, just put that trap back in its bed and ready for another!
Yep they do all have that look for sure. Yep if that calitchi gets wet then drys you got to chisel it back out. I use a a chipping hammer most times to dig my trap bed. I usually just live my super stakes right where they are anchored. Too hard to pull them out. I too use mostly drags. This ground here is pretty hard and rocky.

My learning experience is being tired and somehow catching one finger!! It’s never the hand or a couple of fingers together, just a single finger, lol! What’s worse is when they’re anchored and you only think it stings a little until you reach the end of that chain! I’ve learned if I do screw up and snap one on myself, don’t jerk!!

My learning experience is being tired and somehow catching one finger!! It’s never the hand or a couple of fingers together, just a single finger, lol! What’s worse is when they’re anchored and you only think it stings a little until you reach the end of that chain! I’ve learned if I do screw up and snap one on myself, don’t jerk!!
That is also very true. Its always a finger.

Back