Come and Get It

DoubleUp

As my hunting partner and I walked quietly to our stand it was with high anticipation in one of our favorite locations. Plus, we had not had chance to go calling together since the first of April, so it was sort of a reunion and renewal. My electric bike was still out of service and so we went in carrying as light as possible. We were calling over a freshly picked cornfield, but from a field of soybeans that bordered the corn. There was a large canal between us and the cornfield so we knew that recovery was not going to be an option. It was my turn to shoot, and my partner was doing the calling.

It was a nice night to call but still slightly warmer than we would have preferred. Our wind was steady right to left from the NE about 10 mph which kept the mosquitoes at bay. Since we couldn’t cross the canal into the cornfield my partner set the call up just a few feet to our right at the edge of the beans. It wasn’t long before he had this coyote coming in like his tail was on fire. I let him get to about 65 yds. and gave him a low growl. He stopped perfectly and the 50 gr. V-max from the 22-250 bit hard into his chest and it was lights out. It was just one stand and one kill, but it always feels good when a plan comes together and a team is able to operate as one with singleness of purpose and thought.

Thanks fellas. I hope to have my bike back in service Monday, but still got a few days of bright moon ahead of us. Hopefully toward the end of the week there will be some early dark before the moon rises.

Back