Colorado coyotes. First hunt of the year.

cornstalker

HOMAnimated (1).gif

I have not hunted coyotes since the first quarter of 2022, due to work and big game hunting. Finally caught a break and got out today. I guess giving my spots a break paid off.

The first stand was dry.
Walking into the second stand I spotted a mangey youngster messing around looking for rodents. I snuck up and shot it. Hit it low at around 300. It ran closer and started to spin, where I anchored it with a 55-grain ballistic tip at 261. I took the photo to crop out the evisceration.
IMG_2522.jpg

Second stand. Started with rodent, then rabbit, ending with woodpecker. At the 29 minute mark I spotted a coyote lollygagging in when doing my departure scan with the binos. I started up the woodpecker again and the coyote came in slowly, sniffing everything along the way. Switching to pup distress lit it up a little bit and got it moving. I switched the sound off when it got to within 200 yards. It stopped and sat down at 171 yards. I hit it in the neck.
IMG_2526.jpg

Next stand. Rodent, then rabbit, then woodpecker, then pup distress. I did my departure scan at around 23 minutes and started to gather my things when I saw this male come charging over the hill. I could not get him to stop so I shot and hit him a little high and back on the run. Again, I anchored him while he flopped around and spun. This one was just over 100 yards.
IMG_2529.jpg

On the next stand, I mentally prepared to stay on set for at least 30 minutes. Won't you know that these females showed up at the 5 and 6-minute mark? Started with rodent. Rabbit was playing when both arrived. Both shots were under 100 yards.

IMG_2532.jpg

Token shot from the last stand of the day, which was dry.
IMG_2534.jpg

Lastly, the group photo.
IMG_2594.JPG

All of the action was between daybreak and 12:30. I called it early after the last dry stand and headed home. Maybe shoulda stayed, but I am fighting a cold and had had about enough. Looking forward to getting back out again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn’t that libtard, treehugging state of CO just ban cougar hunting? Coyotes will probably be next.
No not yet. They closed the April
Season. They are trying to get rid of it all together.

Sportsmen need to fight it hard. If lion goes you know more hunting will follow

With all due respect, please do not wreck my hunting thread with political discussions. I feel as strongly about it as anyone, but would prefer that it not invade this thread.

Back