Cartridge Chambering Problem

Thank’s, Why. I had hopes of this rifle being a good coyote getter this fall and winter. Weatherby said to expect 1-4 weeks. Got it sent back today.

JM, I do have other options so at least I’m still able to hunt. I will begin my season soon.

I have a BHW 243 AR10 barrel that has a tight chamber. Some factor ammo chambers ok, some doesn't.
Its probably at min tolerance (probably a worn out chamber reamer) - so I went the small base reloading die route.
The small base die does the trick on my reloads - so I just don't put factory ammo through it.
Some time in the future I may get it reamed out to 243-AI.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Today I picked up the returned Vanguard at my local gun shop. The guy there got a box of factory 25-06 ammo off the shelf and tried to chamber it. My suspicion is right. The problem is not fixed. It did the exact same thing as before - a round would chamber with a stiff bolt, then trying to re-chamber the same round again wouldn't without a lot of pressure.

I phoned a Weatherby representative from the gun shop and explained. I told him that the response I got from the gunsmith earlier seemed too simplistic, and that something is wrong with this rifle, and it's not me. I told the rep. that they need to fix this rifle this time or send me a new one. So, the gun is packed and ready to return once again.

Here is the response I got from Weatherby after their initial inspection:

“the work has been completed and it is ready to head back to you. Upon initial inspection, the rifle passed safety and function checks. The gunsmith found that excess brass residue had built up on the bolt face which was likely impeding chambering. They also found oil in the chamber, which could be contributing to the issue also. The gunsmith recommends only oiling the bore and chamber for long term storage and thoroughly cleaning before shooting. He also recommends checking reloads for oil or case lube which can build up in the chamber. As a precautionary measure the chamber was deep cleaned and polished, and then it was test fired. All ammunition fed, fired, and extracted with ease and to factory specifications.”

I explained to them that the brass was brand new, out of the box, not lubed and two different brands - Remington and Norma, and that factory ammo did the same.

This is the 4th Vanguard I have had over the years. The actions of the other three were as smooth as a baby’s bottom, and accurate. The smooth action of Vanguards, plus the chambering of 25-06 which is becoming harder to find is what prompted me to purchase this one. It’s disappointing to keep kicking this can down the road. I had hoped to get a good load worked up soon and get the Bolt TL35 on it and into use.

What bothers me most is not the problem itself as much, though that is frustrating, but rather the gunsmith’s words that imply I am the fault. Of the numerous fine rifles I have used and loaded for over the years, this is the first of its kind with this type of issue. Weatherby has a good reputation, though and I think they will deliver. My confidence in them was admittedly shaken this time, however.

Last edited:
You might give their customer service dept. a call and ask to speak with the "gunsmith" who checks your rifle. It could be a breakdown in communication????

Years ago I had a new Burris 4.5-14 FFII scope that did not adjust properly. Had a number of the FFII's in both 4.5-14 and 3-9 and all adjusted and tracked perfectly. Sent it in and they called me; couldn't find anything wrong with the scope and wanted to know first hand what the issue was. I told him that I could shoot a shot, make the proper correction and sometimes it moved, sometimes it didn't. He started to tell me that one shot was not enough to adjust from, that I should shoot a 3 shot group, then make adjustments, etc., etc. Turns out he shot HP competition, as well, and after a short chat, I convinced him that I sighted in all of my other (Burris) scopes one shot at a time and could call the shot and knew if it was a good letoff or not. He was convinced and said he'd tear down the scope again; when he called back he said he had gone into the scope again, found nothing, but put it on his rifle and checked it out at the range. Said it performed as it should and asked me to give it a try and let him know if it still acted up. It didn't, so apparently he fixed it, whether he found the issue or not. :)

If you can talk to the person who is checking your rifle out and convince him you are not new to the game and explain exactly what the issue is, he might take a bit more interest in fixing it.

I think sometimes there is a miss-communication between whomever receives the article and writes the work order and the technician. If the tech doesn't get the correct info, he can't correct the problem. Hope they get you squared away this time.

That could be, but also in this case I wrote a note and enclosed it in the box with the rifle, easy to see describing the problems with chambering, that I used brand new out-of-the-box brass of two different manufacturers, plus factory loads. I also mentioned that I have been reloading for 50 years for lots of rifles and have never had this issue.

UPDATE: I did another post of the update on the Weatherby Vanguard.

Now you see why I suggested doing everything you can to figure out what the problem/s is then go about fixing it yourself. Unfortunately you story is a common one and I know quite a few who have done the same thing and sent it back to the manufacture just to get it returned with the same version as they told you "it's within spec and checked out fine for us".

Not exactly the same as yours but I had a semi custom Rem 700 build I bought from a guy years ago that was one of those the price was to good to pass up deals. Got it home and cycling the bolt on an empty chamber was so rough and gritty it nearly locked the bolt up after a couple times. First thought was that SOB sold me a POS. I made a call to my gunsmith and he said bring it out and let me take a look at it so away I went. He played with it a bit and said all he thought it needed was to have the lugs lapped. He lapped the lugs and I picked it up the next day. It went from nearly locking the bolt up just trying to cycle it to smooth as can be and about the most accurate 6.5-284 I've ever owned.

Back