Calling Tactics and Sounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Rich
I have been trying a little howling, but I haven't had much luck. I know of one guy that has a hilltop farm near where I hunt, and he howls often just to listen to the coyotes sing, will that effect their response to a howl. I went out today and tried some high pitched squeals. I was using a js pc-3, and rather than blow, I sucked air through while squeezing the reed with my fingers. I had just crossed a set of fresh tracks and hoped the quiet call would sound more natural, but I didn't see anything. Also, I am seeing more single sets of tracks, is that because most are paired for breeding, or coincidence? I keep trying, I figure I've got nothing to lose.

Rich Cronk where can you get a hawk call that you mentioned earlier in this session? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That bird sound can be make from your mouth call just like Rich is talking about. If you have calling pressure on these areas, maybe best to look for some others. If you have people howling them, I would think they would learn who is making that sound and beware. Rich may have more insight on howling education by callers. You may want to try some different callers all together, something they have not heard before.

Another point to consider, do you call the same area everyday or every week?? Usually best to have multiple calling areas so you can give them a rest for a while. Rotation like crops!! You may not be where they can hear you callin too. They usually come to a call when they hear one.

I try not to call very much, maybe I should call a little more. Most of the area I hunt is public land, and I think there is some 15 to 20 thousand acres around. I try to find fresh tracks in the area before I call,(we have had a lot of snow on the ground) then try to find a good set up.
I wondered if a different sound would work, I used a fawn distress in the spring and had fox and deer answer me. Maybe that bird call will work, I need to practice it some more. I really appreciate all of your fella's help, you're a huge help.

They can be made shy to the howler. I have a situation here where the guy howls from the back porch showing off for his buddies. The result is any howl of any kind sets them barking at the caller.They've checked out the source too many times and found it to be bogus.

One sound I doubt your local dogs have heard is canine distress done on an open reed mouth call. Get a fox distress tape and try to mimick that sound. It doesn't have to be perfect just somehwere close. It will work , believe me!

And as for the tracks you see , don't be fooled into thinking they are all singles. Coyotes often travel in each others tracks. Unless they turn off or change directions for some reason they will travel this way for several hundred yards. Jimmie

Jimmie,
Faulk's makes a nice wooden Hawk Screamer handcall.

I think right now the canine sounds would be best. Howls, canine distress, puppy whines, ect... Not to say that a food distress still can't call dogs because it certainly can. If open reeds aren't your cup of tea, then to make the bird distress type sounds, I think one of the "bite" calls such as the Sceery AP-6 is the easiest to call to manipulate for that sound. You can get the really high pitched sounds pretty easy with this type call.

I was wondering how most of you would hunt this situation? There is 100yds of grown up bottomland with thorn bushes and tall grass. 50 yds from this is a house. From the little bit of bottomland it rises steeply into woods that has been heavily timbered in the last 2 to 5 yrs. On top of the ridge is a large powerline right of way that runs N to S. The bottom is to the east of the right of way, farther east is the house. There are a few logging roads that lead to the bottom, would the proper setup be at the woodline at the edge of the field. I am thinking that if I can catch the wind when it's not swirling, that maybe thats where I should set up. Oh, I was doing a little scouting this evening. coming off the right of way to the hollow where I parked, man is it ever thick, I feel like briar rabbit. I have been digging thorns out since I got home. A small flashlight doesn't work well to show all those briars. Well, at least I know where all the good hiding spots are /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Mr.Cronk
Im not very computer literate person.You had Howling coyote methods under calling in the east and I was going to have listen to your calls but I cant seem to find it. Have you removed it.
I really injoy your infro Ive learned a lot.
Howell Reeves {3beavers}

Here you go gentlemen,

Here is a link to the howling methods...

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000839

That is an awesome place for practice sounds.

Jeff
wave1.gif

Great reading folks! Special thanks to GC for pointing me to this specific thread. Don't stop now...
What do you do with the skins if anything? How do you prepare them/store/tan them? Do you sell them? Where and to whom in your part of the state? Do you make something of them like a gun rug for a pistol? Do you have any other projects you have thought of? I have more questions but I'll stop here and let the smoke settle. Do let me know when this comes out on hardback 'cause I want a first addition.

The areas I hunt don't have any fields.Its all woods. It contains a lot of swamps, thickets, and creeks. Too defeat the wind I was thinking of trying to get the wind in my face with a big swamp or a deep creek at my back. I figure the coyote will not want to get its feet wet if it don't have too and run the edges of these obstacles until it reaches me instead of trying to circle downwind. Is this a good technique, or is there a fault I don't see? Thanks

Terry,
If the water is too deep for coyotes to run through, the swamp idea might work. The creek probably ain't wide enough. I have shot a few coyotes that came to my calls on other side of the creek.

Predator_Hunter,
Good to see that you made it over here, welcome to Predator Masters.

Terry,
I think a wide and deep enough expanse of water would do very well to prevent being "backdoored." I do think it really must be quite wide though. Terrain would dictate if this is reliable for you, as you well know already. However, like Rich, I've been backdoored with a creek at my back several times. Unlike Rich, I didn't get the sneaky coyotes!

I also was fooled while bowhunting deer this way once. I was hunting a section of southeast Missouri known as Mingo Swamps. It's managed primarily for waterfowl and is a true swamp, complete with cypress trees and cottonmouth snakes. I found a dry hummock that was loaded with dropped acorns. The land and wind direction was such that by using water two feet deep I figured that a whitetail buck would funnel right in front of my stand on this hummock to feed on the acorns. This deep water was behind me, I was facing the dry land. After being on stand awhile, I heard some swishing around in the water behind me. Easing my head around I was suprised to see three does and a dandy buck wading around in the water behind the stand. They were eating the acorns which had dropped into the water and were floating on top. Easy pickings! Too bad they were to far to accurately shoot at with a bow. The buck was a nice deer. So, I guess never say never.

What other methods of defeating the wind in my situation are there? The woods i hunt are full of swamps. A lot of thick areas too. Not many ridges.Thanks

Terry,
Well here comes my two cents worth. Let's say that the wind is out of the south. Enter from north end of your area and call every 1/4 mile or so as you work your way south. It sounds like the area you call is very large and very dense cover almost everywhere. You have to be able to see the predator when he comes in to the screams, so you will need to search out small clearings and try to call them out into semi open area. If I were in your shoes, I would resort to electronic caller placed cross-wind of my chosen hidey hole. Conceal the caller in center of the clearing (50 yards or so from your hide out) and hit the go button. Coyotes, fox and bear will probably come in from down-wind of the sound. The cats may come from any old direction, but at least you will see more of the buggers this way. A cheap tape player will work for you in a pinch. Me? I just ordered a new Loudmouth caller with eight of my own sounds on it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Good luck to you, and keep your face into the breeze.

New Guy here. Did you know that I copied every post (well, almost every post) on this thread into Microsoft Word so I could print it out and have it with me at work - I mean when I am on break of course -

and there are 46 pages - yup - count em, 46 pages of info here.

I bought and read, Predator Calling, The Coyote Hunter, and Hunting Coyotes, but this thread - well, some things are just priceless.

I'm 0 for 9 stands so far, but I did call in a hawk last week. Scared the dickens out of me too.

I'll be back out Wednesday night and Friday and Sunday too. It's just a matter of time now.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back