Baiting

Thanks.

Wildflights: For the second coyote, I think the 1st bullet entered between base of the neck and front left shoulder.

I think the 1st shot was fatal, but I was anxious to stop the squeeling so it wouldn't wake up all the neighbors.

I will still use 50 gn V-max's for coyotes without much hesitation. I've even taken a few coyotes with my 17hmr and 17gr v-max's. I won't hesitate to do that again either if the opportunity presents itself. But for closer range and low wind areas, I think the Sierra HPBT's will be my preferred bullet.

CT and Week, you guys are rock’en.

My last coyote kill was on Feb 4. Saw one Feb. 14 and thats it. Slow is the word.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootCheck out the Hornady 50 gr SX, great bullet for AR coyote. accurate,cheap, no splash, no exit. Start it 3200+. Feeds great from mags.

The hornady SX (super explosive) is said to have a very thin jacket, hence the explosiveness. Explosiveness tends to = splash. Explosive bullets work great for shots to vitals that don't hit bones. My recent struggle is that I've shot a few coyotes in the front shoulder area and they didn't drop as quick as I wanted. So I wanted a tougher bullet, with a thicker jacket, that would penetrate better for the shoulder shots. That's why I went with the Sierra Gamekings.

Now also, with any bullet, reducing the velocity will reduce splash. So these explosive bullets will actually stay together much better at lower velocities. So that also factors in to the discussion.

I'm not against explosive bullets, I was just ready for something different. In the past 3 years I've shot about 50 coyotes with mostly 50 grain v-max's. I got a couple with midwayusa dogtown 34gr HP's. In addition to the 50 coyotes I've dropped, I've probably had about 10 run off after receiving solid hits. It really bothers me when they run off and don't go to rest right away. As much as I dislike the coyotes, I don't like to make them suffer.

In my .243, I'm still running 75gr V-max's.

Originally Posted By: coyote_thumperOriginally Posted By: spotstalkshootCheck out the Hornady 50 gr SX, great bullet for AR coyote. accurate,cheap, no splash, no exit. Start it 3200+. Feeds great from mags.

The hornady SX (super explosive) is said to have a very thin jacket, hence the explosiveness. Explosiveness tends to = splash. Explosive bullets work great for shots to vitals that don't hit bones. My recent struggle is that I've shot a few coyotes in the front shoulder area and they didn't drop as quick as I wanted. So I wanted a tougher bullet, with a thicker jacket, that would penetrate better for the shoulder shots. That's why I went with the Sierra Gamekings.

Now also, with any bullet, reducing the velocity will reduce splash. So these explosive bullets will actually stay together much better at lower velocities. So that also factors in to the discussion.

I'm not against explosive bullets, I was just ready for something different. In the past 3 years I've shot about 50 coyotes with mostly 50 grain v-max's. I got a couple with midwayusa dogtown 34gr HP's. In addition to the 50 coyotes I've dropped, I've probably had about 10 run off after receiving solid hits. It really bothers me when they run off and don't go to rest right away. As much as I dislike the coyotes, I don't like to make them suffer.

In my .243, I'm still running 75gr V-max's.

Try the 50 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. Your splash worries will go away...

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
My last coyote kill was on Feb 4. Saw one Feb. 14 and that’s it. Slow is the word.

I killed my last one right around then, had 4 one night shortly after that, not a thing since.

It's been about 2 years since I had a coyote at my new house build. But, we have a visitor...

JiuKAl7.jpg

zjTxaHR.jpg

Congratulations Week on a new visitor at the homeplace. Hope you get a successful conclusion on that one. I had this one to show up last night at the Diner. It was a late checkout.

#37a by Double Up, on Flickr

Video:

Last edited:
Man you guys are stacking em! WTG DU. Congrats on the last diner! It's meat wagon time once again. Slow is an understatement at my place. Can't buy one! But, that's how the dice roll, and you are stacking them! Keep em coming!

DoubleUp, that’s the kind of shot I like.

Week, glad to see activity picking up. Looking forward to photos and video.

Glad you had a Happy Birthday on the 8th Old Guy
thumbup.gif
BUT I'M OLDER
thumbup1.gif
76 ---0N Jan 26-23 but you got a COYOTE --Happy for Ya----I saw a Wolf but their a No= No around here-----Grats on your kill and Years

Thanks SVB for the birthday wishes, and I hope you stay just ahead of me age wise. We've had a pretty tough year coyote hunting and running about 10 behind my total for last year at this point with not much time left to make it up. Even worse now with the time change because calling wise I only hunt early in the night.

Back