Baiting

Sprung for a used super hogster yesterday, zeroed today and got a skunk coming from my bait pile tonight. I got video, but it's a bit morbid lol. 243 wssm ar, 87 vmax at 3200.

I've got an alarm system coming from amazon, so should be fairly well set up soon. The thermal is so cool, BP knows what I'm talking about, nice coyote there! That's what I'm looking for but they haven't been up to my 2 week old deer carcasses yet I don't think.

Welcome back, Gobbler. Good job on the fox as always. Looking forward to more success stories.

Baitpile, congrats on yet another one. Hopefully a DVR will come along soon and you can get some video.

Thanks 06.
Congrats 204! I was hoping you would spring for that one, was kind of following along in the night calling thread. Good deal, it's gonna be a good season, if not just for the toys
smile.gif

Nice job on the foxes GG!!

Thermal is a gamechanger 204. Glad to see you got that one. Look forward to results.

Good job BP! Nice looking coyote. Shouldn't take only a couple more to pay for this season's toys...
thumbup1.gif
At least that's what I keep telling myself! LOL

Originally Posted By: 204 ARSprung for a used super hogster yesterday, zeroed today and got a skunk coming from my bait pile tonight. I got video, but it's a bit morbid lol. 243 wssm ar, 87 vmax at 3200.

I've got an alarm system coming from amazon, so should be fairly well set up soon. The thermal is so cool, BP knows what I'm talking about, nice coyote there! That's what I'm looking for but they haven't been up to my 2 week old deer carcasses yet I don't think.

@204 AR
243 wssm in an AR platform is high on my list for new additions. I'd like to see and hear more about it's performance. Would you buy it again? Finding brass/ammo looks like an ordeal.

Last edited:
Pretty basic rifle by the looks. 22" barrel, fluted standard profile. This is a Dtech upper I was told, but I think the profiling and fluting was done after.
jovSjyhl.jpg

Ejection port is opened up a lot, no dust cover.
AGSHRebl.jpg

The neoprene tube cover, I just put on an hour ago since this rifle is going back into service. Makes it quieter and warmer than cold aluminum. It's just a round vented Young tube, I have them on almost everything it seems. All my ar's are set up with the same stock, trigger, and tube or similar tube. Except a couple with collapsible stocks.

Here's what it did to the second skunk, shot from behind, 155 yards. It looked WAY worse in the video, and I think the belly is ripped open pretty bad but I didn't do a postmortem lol.
qapdFqll.jpg

Originally Posted By: wildflights

@204 AR
243 wssm in an AR platform is high on my list for new additions. I'd like to see and hear more about it's performance. Would you buy it again? Finding brass/ammo looks like an ordeal.

I couldn't find any pics of targets, but it shoots fantastic. I started with 40 gr of varget and worked to 41, with 87 gr vmax blems. Those stay accurate out to 714 yards is as far as I've tried it while tuning in the Eliminator.

It runs flawlessly. Mags are modified stainless 556 mags that give you an oal of 2.3", a 20 rounder will hold 6 easily iirc, so that's the drawback if you need big capacity.

It can be rough on fur just like a 243. I switched to my G2 243 Win last year, it's slightly more accurate, but I did ALOT more load work and even messing with barrel threads to get it there. It's 20" barrel is a bit slower than the wssm, 100 fps iirc, maybe 125 slower with my load. I use 87 bthp in it as the vmax weren't as consistent, and have not tried them in the wssm but I wouldn't doubt if it shoots them slightly better than the vmax. Vmax will definitely outrun the bthp at distance, the wssm is much flatter with vmax than the 243 with bthp, more than 125 fps worth. The 243 win has a big advantage in mag capacity if you need that and the G2 is almost as light as an ar15. I also scored 2 extra barrels for the G2 for $80 each so that was a big factor.

So, I love them both. Honestly, the barrel situation, and not wanting to burn out the wssm was my biggest reason I switched. They both will peg a coyote out to 500 with boring regularity as long as the shooter is able, and the Eliminator makes that possible for me. Brass was a problem to find a few years ago, then it got available and wasn't selling and got super cheap and I scooped up several bags for $16 per 50 so I never have to worry about that. Ammo, forget about it unless you like slinging $2.50 pills at coyotes lol. Not me. I'd definitely buy one again if I come upon the right deal.

Originally Posted By: baitpileThanks 06.
Congrats 204! I was hoping you would spring for that one, was kind of following along in the night calling thread. Good deal, it's gonna be a good season, if not just for the toys
smile.gif

Thanks! Yeah I still shake my head at the expense. I got him talked down a bit more and after being in the field for a few stands and watching the action, there's no way I couldn't be a part of that lol. Now, for a scanner, ugh, lol.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARPretty basic rifle by the looks. 22" barrel, fluted standard profile. This is a Dtech upper I was told, but I think the profiling and fluting was done after.
jovSjyhl.jpg

Ejection port is opened up a lot, no dust cover.
AGSHRebl.jpg

The neoprene tube cover, I just put on an hour ago since this rifle is going back into service. Makes it quieter and warmer than cold aluminum. It's just a round vented Young tube, I have them on almost everything it seems. All my ar's are set up with the same stock, trigger, and tube or similar tube. Except a couple with collapsible stocks.

Here's what it did to the second skunk, shot from behind, 155 yards. It looked WAY worse in the video, and I think the belly is ripped open pretty bad but I didn't do a postmortem lol.
qapdFqll.jpg

That looks nice. How far out do you have your pile? It's fun to watch the pieces fly off. Alway's makes me wonder if there is anything left to pick up. Lol

Originally Posted By: wildflights
@204 AR

Here's a target I shot when I was testing it out a few years back. Off shooting sticks and wearing gloves, with my back against a tire probably for a back rest (works great btw, you can get very stable this way.)
Not the only time it's shot like that. Top group is just over 3" at 400 yd, bottom is 2.5" at 500.
YiFMikfl.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tj66

That looks nice. How far out do you have your pile? It's fun to watch the pieces fly off. Alway's makes me wonder if there is anything left to pick up. Lol

About 150, yeah I thought the carnage would be way worse.

Good to see you back GG. Hope some more coyotes show up for you this year. It has been very slow here so far. Congrats to all on their bait pile kills so far.

Originally Posted By: wildflightsOriginally Posted By: 204 ARhttps://vimeo.com/650683115

I couldn't figure out how to embed it, even though there's an embed button but it just gives a bunch of jibberish. The video looks way worse than the skunk did lol.

Vimeo link says I'm unauthorized.

Try it now, I changed from only me to public. I don't have the video thing figured out yet at all.

Yep, the impact sure made a splash.

A coyote made a visit to my bait site night before last, so I stayed at the cabin last night. It was quiet all night. I had wanted to stay again tonight but have to be out of town early tomorrow morning and couldn’t. As Murphy would have it, my cell camera sent photos to my iphone around 7:00 PM this evening. The coyote was back. Darn it. I will try to stay tomorrow night and hope he returns.

Well, I have taken the plunge once again and today ordered an AGM 25 thermal scope. It is only slightly over 7” long and can be used as a scanner or rifle scope. Expected delivery is next Monday. Hope it gives as good a service as the Pulsar Apex has.

Back