Almost a costly mistake.

Oldcoyotetrapper

Almost made a Rookie mistake. This video shows just how keen a yotes senses are. Now it was a dumb one that came back but this shows he never winded me. Back story I almost always cut myself into the cedar bushes/trees. I want my movement concealed best it can be. I wished I’d had a picture of this particular cut out, to show. I’d had this male located the night before so I went in and knew id be close. I often will pack in 1/8-1/4 mile walk in or even drive in there in the morning and drop gear off less rifle. Well I started recorded as I thought it would happen fast. I’m hunting wind in my face here. Moved rifle directly across from me and was changing sounds. This yote walked in and was looking at my movements in the cedar, roughly 50 yards. ( I never knew this until I looked at the video) changed sounds went back to the rifle as often using a handheld scanner will cost you a yote in my country. Well I caught him coming in then he realized he didn’t like something. Call is roughly 180 yards in front of me. So he was never close to it. Still can’t figure out what he didn’t like other then maybe he remembered the movement in cedar as when he stopped he looked back at the call then back at me. Please share your thoughts. Had to edit the video a little bit oddly to show the yote looking at me. Hopefully you’ll see it.

Back story I almost always cut myself into the cedar bushes/trees.
I carry a pair of small brush pruners and do the same, but I only hunt daytime. Also put some ghillie netting on my sticks and back into the bushes, helps cover any movement from the front.
1725684074030.jpeg

I see what you mean you got some really spooky coyotes out there! He definitely had you on his radar. :ROFLMAO: Nice shot!

I carry a pair of small brush pruners and do the same, but I only hunt daytime. Also put some ghillie netting on my sticks and back into the bushes, helps cover any movement from the front.View attachment 10323

I see what you mean you got some really spooky coyotes out there! He definitely had you on his radar. :ROFLMAO: Nice shot!
Thank you, that’s a great idea I kinda do the same with the cedar loopers are super handy. Always behind my seat.

Attachments

• IMG_4799.jpeg
    IMG_4799.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 11
Just curious, do y’all really think coyotes see that well at night? Or do you think they hear or smell something when they look your way? Only reason I’m asking is because we’ve been in the middle of a field and shot coyotes. I mean middle of a harrowed field with a cross wind and back to back and either the caller did the trick or they just didn’t notice us.

Their hearing seems to be better than their eyes, and their nose seems to be better than eyes or ears. Is it possible he hit the scent trail of where you put the call out on his return trip? I've seen coyote do this a lot times and it always seem to be scent to me.

Just curious, do y’all really think coyotes see that well at night? Or do you think they hear or smell something when they look your way? Only reason I’m asking is because we’ve been in the middle of a field and shot coyotes. I mean middle of a harrowed field with a cross wind and back to back and either the caller did the trick or they just didn’t notice us.
I do think they see well or at times. As I’ve had times where they should’ve seen me and didn’t. Then times where they didn’t see me but they did. So it’s really a toss up and situational dependent. I really don’t have a good explanation . I’ve got another video that demonstrates this the best. I’ll find it and get it posted. It will make you say hmmmm.

Their hearing seems to be better than their eyes, and their nose seems to be better than eyes or ears. Is it possible he hit the scent trail of where you put the call out on his return trip? I've seen coyote do this a lot times and it always seem to be scent to me.
I too have seen what you mentioned, and have had that happen as well. In this case id have to say probably not. Here’s why where I’m sitting is a power line clearcut roughy 100 yards wide. Some spots a little more some a little less. Wind is blowing heavy from right to left. I waked in on left side set up then walked 159-180 further hugging left side placed call. Then same thing on return to my spot,

Their nose usually dips down, almost automatically, when they cross scent trails. I stick with heard something from a general direction of OCT location.
I was cut into cedar pretty tight that said i was changing sounds so I’m sure there was some movement along with the light off the call even tho that was mimimal. Good strong wind from the coyote to me. Also like you mentioned i honestly can’t rule out he heard something.

I have a video where the coyote runs probably within 30yds right in front of me and looks dead at me while running yet continued straight to the caller. I know I was doing some serious maneuvering too.
Why she didn’t haul butt away from me I’ll never know, unless that pup distress had more pull than what she saw.

Back