70grain Sierra Blitzking

I wouldn’t waste your money because you’re gonna end up trading it in and throwing away $100’s do so. Your a,ready 2nd guessing the idea anyways. You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make them drink. lol. Do youself a favor and do some more research before you open that wallet. You’re gonna find out all these new fandango shorter casings are designed for heavy for caliber Paper punching for competition target shooting. Of course you can hunt with them but that’s not what they were designed . The CM and similar style shortened fatter cases are designed for super long, higher BC, projectiles with more of a bearing surface that are to be loaded super far out of the case. When you pick a 70 grain “what ever brand and style” projectile it’s about an 1/3 or more shorter than what it’s designed to shoot. Loaded out as long as possible it’s to be way to far from the lands for any type of half way decent accuracy imo. Exactly the opposite of what you’re trying to accomplish. Why are you sold on the creedmore? Are you going to use it mainly for competition shooting? It was designed to load with LONG heavy for caliber bullets in 100 plus grain high BC pointy bullets to buck the wind at 1000 yard shots with “massive“ hold over. Imo a hunting rig in 6mm “what ever” I want to shoot a 55 to 70 grain bullet loaded as fast as I can so there is no hold over on coyotes out to 350/400 yards. Howa makes some pretty light little rifles in 243. A couple under 5 pounds. I have to many 243’s but would sure like to see one chambered in 22-250. For some reason the new hype is shortening the case, widening it, and sticking the projectile out as far as possible. I admit it ”looks” cool but to me it serves zero purpose for a hunting caliber. 99.9% of the projectiles designed for these paper punchers in 6mm are designed for paper punching only and won’t reliably open on game. That's why hornady just introduced the ELD-VT in 80 grains...because its going to be imo about your only option for reliable expanon..and imo it’s to explosive for saving fur. IMO you’re gonna be a lot happier with a 243. Sorry, not trying to beat a dead horse which I basically am but you’re trying to buy a caliber and doing the exact opposite of what it was designed for and in the end I don’t think you’re going to be very happy with it. I think somebody told you to buy the Creedmoor and it’s just stuck in your head for some reason.
Admittedly, it’s really a sweet deal that I didn’t think I could pass up given the components and everything that it’s coming with. Definitely an instinctive purchase as I have some cash burning a hole in my pocket haha.

I appreciate the insight on purposes and loading for it though. I didn’t really understand the free bore issue until asking around and reading a bit (probably
Should have done a bit more of that in hindsight). I understand it’s designed to shoot some longer bullets but just wasn’t sure if I could also get away with the mid range bullets, which seems like it’s not the intended case of the 6CM. It was some wishful thinking on my end and being new to reloading I assumed I could develop a load to make it work both ways.

Another option but it does come with a higher risk factory is depending on how good of a deal you got on this rifle and how many rounds have been put through it you could have a gunsmith unscrew the barrel, set it back a few threads, then rechamber it but with whatever freebore you want depending on the bullet you want to shoot.

If you got a smoking good deal on it you really like the rifle and it's had minimal amount of rounds through it it'll only cost a few hundred bucks to set it back and rechamber it with minimal freebore for shooting something like those 70gr Nos BT's. Or, and this is generally the better option but does cost more, just get a new barrel and have it chambered with the appropriate freebore for the bullet/s you plan to shoot.

My 6CM is a semi custom built on a Rem 700 SA with a 20in Proof 9tw barrel. I planned on pretty much only shooting the 70gr Nos. BT's so my gunsmith throated it accordingly. I don't exactly recall what the FB length is but OAL to touching the lands with a 70gr Nosler BT is only 2.515 so it's a pretty minimal FB throat

That’s a good idea…but you’re gonna have three times as much into it as a normal firearm by the time you’re done that probably will shoot just as good. If the OP has a family and kids I’m sure as money can be spent on wiser things. He was already looking at buying this rifle because it was reduced as a “deal” so he wouldn’t have to spend a lot of money to begin with. At least that’s what I got from talking to him. So buying it and sticking two times more of what he paid for it to begin imo is what his intentions are.

Another option but it does come with a higher risk factory is depending on how good of a deal you got on this rifle and how many rounds have been put through it you could have a gunsmith unscrew the barrel, set it back a few threads, then rechamber it but with whatever freebore you want depending on the bullet you want to shoot.

If you got a smoking good deal on it you really like the rifle and it's had minimal amount of rounds through it it'll only cost a few hundred bucks to set it back and rechamber it with minimal freebore for shooting something like those 70gr Nos BT's. Or, and this is generally the better option but does cost more, just get a new barrel and have it chambered with the appropriate freebore for the bullet/s you plan to shoot.

My 6CM is a semi custom built on a Rem 700 SA with a 20in Proof 9tw barrel. I planned on pretty much only shooting the 70gr Nos. BT's so my gunsmith throated it accordingly. I don't exactly recall what the FB length is but OAL to touching the lands with a 70gr Nosler BT is only 2.515 so it's a pretty minimal FB throat
That’s a good idea and something I’ll look into. I’ve never had any custom work done by a smith but definitely not opposed to it. The gun belongs to a buddy’s uncle that’s getting too old to shoot. So he’s offering me it for what I think is pretty cheap. It’s in a KRG bravo chassis, comes with 200 pieces of Petersons brass (some are once fired) and he’s got dies with bullets for $600 bucks. I think that’s a steal and have told the old man he can get more money for it, I just don’t think he cares to sell it to someone he doesn’t know.

I do have a bare Tikka action laying around too. It’s from a 6.5 creedmoor. I bought that action with the intent on learning to put together a rifle eventually. Just haven’t got around to that project yet.

Moneys not really the issue here but I’m glad I asked the original question about using those 70 grainers now haha. I’m pretty new to reloading and just starting to dive into the world of nicer guns.

Currently load and shoot factory guns (22-250, 6.5 creedmoor, and 300 win mag) but I’m shooting relatively easy and known loads for those.

Back