4 nights and a day set

jmeddy

I have made 16 sets in these 4 outings and have not heard the normal September howling(??). These 2 are the only I have seen and I did make good on the sightings.
The first was an adult male at 130yds', 36min., at 10:08pm. This was the first set of Monday night and I had the 'sheep farmer" with me. Bill is definitely a good luck charm. The producers were a pup/adult attach followed by a couple of pup distresses playing at the same time. He barked/short howled from a few hundred yards in front of me after the distress had played maybe 5 min. I rocked the volume up and down and switched between the sounds for a couple more minutes then went silent. He showed up and died about 5 min later.
The second was an adult female at about 80yds., 32min., at 2:08. This was the 5th and last set of Wednesday night. After ~4min of rat distress I howled on the 'critter caller and got a response far down the hollow to my East. I answered aggressively with the diaphragm and got a group/pair to answer much closer to my NNE over the ridge in front of me along with the original group. Quiet for a while with just a coaxer running at low volume. After about 10 I howled again with no answer. I answered myself on the call then went into a couple fight sounds followed by kiyis and pup distress. Silence again. Pup distress again at different volumes. A couple scans later she steps in view at about 2;30 oclock. Call is still running and while getting into the gun I get the volume down some then bark her stopped and shoot. I did not notice the angle she was on, should have aimed at the front of the shoulder. Entered tight behind it but exited at the last rib. Tough boogers!
I could not find her as the hay was wet and so was she AND I was not looking up the hill far enough. After searching for about 30min I went back to the gun and for the second time ever[other than practice at home over a year ago] wified the scope to my phone (crib sheet is in my chest pack) and looked at the vid then lined up the gun to where I thought she was and turned on the laser. She was about 40yds further up the hill than I thought and was only maybe 10 degrees to the right of the laser. First time I ever used the laser-THANKS Kino and Mick.

Excellent Mike! Great work on getting them in and making it happen. I’m counting down the days left in September just trying to get to October. I’ve not heard any howling at all around me. Usually August- September I hear them right out my back door. Nothing this year? Anyway, congratulations on the success!

Great going. We put lasers on our rifles last year and have found them to be extremely useful. No more getting out there and wandering around for 45 minutes. I too, have had to use the video trick before and it has worked for me.

I’m in SWPA as well, we’ve killed 11 since July 1 and haven’t had a great year for vocals, really only a couple stands but the stands they did answer me I got them killed. One stand took me an 1hour 40 minutes before I pulled the trigger. If they are there and keep responding, if I know they haven’t winded me I will stay there and really slow play it… also getting closer has helped me kill a few this summer that way as well. It sure is nice when they answer you, gives you motivation to stay.

I give all of my stands 45 minutes usually no matter what, unless tournaments then I’m burning up ground but still stay 25-30 minutes

Good shooting. I’ve gotten good at quickly downloading my videos for finding critters. Even when they drop, they’re out of sight especially if you scan after the shot. I need to get me a laser for pinpointing rather than guesstimating and counting trees or steps, lol.

Good shooting. I’ve gotten good at quickly downloading my videos for finding critters. Even when they drop, they’re out of sight especially if you scan after the shot. I need to get me a laser for pinpointing rather than guesstimating and counting trees or steps, lol.
I gotta get a laser too. I have had a few over the years that just crumpled or ran a short distance before tipping, that took forever to locate. Really makes you wonder on a runner how much time you should spend looking, when you watch them drop on the spot and you can’t locate them! Lol.

Great going. We put lasers on our rifles last year and have found them to be extremely useful. No more getting out there and wandering around for 45 minutes. I too, have had to use the video trick before and it has worked for me.

I’m in SWPA as well, we’ve killed 11 since July 1 and haven’t had a great year for vocals, really only a couple stands but the stands they did answer me I got them killed. One stand took me an 1hour 40 minutes before I pulled the trigger. If they are there and keep responding, if I know they haven’t winded me I will stay there and really slow play it… also getting closer has helped me kill a few this summer that way as well. It sure is nice when they answer you, gives you motivation to stay.

I give all of my stands 45 minutes usually no matter what, unless tournaments then I’m burning up ground but still stay 25-30 minutes
Yea Chris, my stands are 30-45 minimum and the longest to a kill was 2hrs and 20min. If they talk, I stay. My second stand Weds. night actually had 2 additional moves to get closer but after almost 90min there was no sightings or "talking" for 40min so I left. Most times around here I will only get a single response and just have to hope they are moving in. Normally if I do get additional answers, it will be to my howls spaced over 15min apart unless they have answered aggressively the first time.

playing it slow really pays off when they are there. one night we got a lone single howl in response to our calls. the coyote went quiet, we went quiet.

65 minutes later 3 coyotes walked out into the bean field, 3 coyotes got killed.

I need to sync my optics to my phone for that. When I shoot a single I leave the rifle pointed right where it drops so I can turn on the laser and walk straight to it, but when there are multiple I can’t do that

I need to sync my optics to my phone for that. When I shoot a single I leave the rifle pointed right where it drops so I can turn on the laser and walk straight to it, but when there are multiple I can’t do that
That’s the only way I find anything unless I get lucky in one of the few fields I hunt. Even pigs drop out of sight and they’re a little thicker than coyotes.
I’ve walked out to where I “knew” the coyote dropped and couldn’t find nothing. Went back and downloaded the video right there at the tripod and realized my line I took wasn’t as straight as I thought, lol. I can see where it fell on video and look through the scope to find the location and then generally count pines and look for landmarks beyond it. I’ve gotten pretty good at it, but a laser would really help even after doing all that.

I have made 16 sets in these 4 outings and have not heard the normal September howling(??). These 2 are the only I have seen and I did make good on the sightings.
The first was an adult male at 130yds', 36min., at 10:08pm. This was the first set of Monday night and I had the 'sheep farmer" with me. Bill is definitely a good luck charm. The producers were a pup/adult attach followed by a couple of pup distresses playing at the same time. He barked/short howled from a few hundred yards in front of me after the distress had played maybe 5 min. I rocked the volume up and down and switched between the sounds for a couple more minutes then went silent. He showed up and died about 5 min later.
The second was an adult female at about 80yds., 32min., at 2:08. This was the 5th and last set of Wednesday night. After ~4min of rat distress I howled on the 'critter caller and got a response far down the hollow to my East. I answered aggressively with the diaphragm and got a group/pair to answer much closer to my NNE over the ridge in front of me along with the original group. Quiet for a while with just a coaxer running at low volume. After about 10 I howled again with no answer. I answered myself on the call then went into a couple fight sounds followed by kiyis and pup distress. Silence again. Pup distress again at different volumes. A couple scans later she steps in view at about 2;30 oclock. Call is still running and while getting into the gun I get the volume down some then bark her stopped and shoot. I did not notice the angle she was on, should have aimed at the front of the shoulder. Entered tight behind it but exited at the last rib. Tough boogers!
I could not find her as the hay was wet and so was she AND I was not looking up the hill far enough. After searching for about 30min I went back to the gun and for the second time ever[other than practice at home over a year ago] wified the scope to my phone (crib sheet is in my chest pack) and looked at the vid then lined up the gun to where I thought she was and turned on the laser. She was about 40yds further up the hill than I thought and was only maybe 10 degrees to the right of the laser. First time I ever used the laser-THANKS Kino and Mick.

Very cool video and that laser trick I’m gonna have to try

I do the laser a bit different. I have my laser mounted on a flat plastic piece. After the shot, if want to use the laser, I slide the gun out of the Arca mount, slide in the laser. Only took 1 time of having more yotes turn up while out in the field searching to decide to never leave the rifle back on the tripod.

I do the laser a bit different. I have my laser mounted on a flat plastic piece. After the shot, if want to use the laser, I slide the gun out of the Arca mount, slide in the laser. Only took 1 time of having more yotes turn up while out in the field searching to decide to never leave the rifle back on the tripod.
If I understand you right, you’re carrying your rifle without the tripod for the recovery when using the laser. Is that correct ? Have you shot any doing that ?

Mick that is correct. In 1 case, was looking for a downed yote with another hunter (Driven on here), both rifles on tripods still, we look over & see 2 coyotes in same field with us! We managed to get through treeline & quickly back to rifles. Never again. And yes, recall at least one killed while poking around for the 1st one.

Last edited:
Walking to a downed coyote one night I was actually just scanning to find the coyote and one popped out looking for its companion. Had time to even hit record, lol. It dropped 20yds from the other one.

Back