22-250 with odd twist

LLB312

I recently bought a Bergara 22-250 off a friend but never realized it was an odd twist, 1 in 9". I'm having a hard time finding a projectile that it likes. I've tried the normal 55 gr Sierra Gamekings and VMax's. Both factory and handloads, with no luck. The only thing even close to a good load is 53 gr Varmageddons/CFE223. Does anybody have any insight as to what this thing would shoot well?

I have a 1-9 22-204 barrel and it shoots well with a lot of bullets, 40gr NBTs at 4000 fps shine. I would look at all the mechanical things too, bedding, forend touching the barrel on the bags, base screws, receiver screws, rings tight and try another scope. Shoot some factory ammo before changing anything then after any changes.

I believe that Savage and Tikka are using faster twist barrels on some of their 22-250s.

I have a Bergara 22-250 Premier 24” 1:9 twist and I’ve only shot factory Hornady Varmint Express 55 grain V-Max. It shoots great in my rifle, always shooting suppressed.

F91BD477-7B0E-4898-86B0-F31D7836A427.jpeg

I recently bought a Bergara 22-250 off a friend but never realized it was an odd twist, 1 in 9". I'm having a hard time finding a projectile that it likes. I've tried the normal 55 gr Sierra Gamekings and VMax's. Both factory and handloads, with no luck. The only thing even close to a good load is 53 gr Varmageddons/CFE223. Does anybody have any insight as to what this thing would shoot well?
I have a 700 Tactical 223 with a 9 twist, and it just loves 52 grain Berger Match bullets.

It's also the bullet of choice in my 22DTI 12" twist.

You may need to get a round count from your friend and a cleaning report(equipment and solvent used, frequency). How the rifle was used. What accuracy were you expecting? Did you change optics? Whole lot more information is required.

Shoots 60 gr vmax very well. Probably the 62 gr eld-vt, but haven't tried those...

You may need to get a round count from your friend and a cleaning report(equipment and solvent used, frequency). How the rifle was used. What accuracy were you expecting? Did you change optics? Whole lot more information is required.
He hardly shot it at all because he liked his 204 better. I'm talking, maybe 150 rds. That's why he sold it to me. He takes care of his guns really well. Barrel wasn't even dirty when I got it. I threw a Vortex DiamondBack HP on it, torqued to spec. My expectations are clover leafs with hand loads and MOA with factory. I'm barely getting MOA with a variety of hand loads. IMR 4064, CFE223, VARGET, H380 all with different projectiles.

I honestly find it odd that a1/9 twist won't shoot 55's properly. I have had multiple 223's with 1/9 and one even with 1/8 that all shot 55's amazing. Do you know anyone with a borescope?

Update:
I grabbed a box of 62 and 65 gr GameKings. Paired them with 31.5 gr of 4064 and 32.5 gr of Varget. Both loads shots exceptionally well, under 1" groups. Might try playing with the seating depth to fine tune it. You guys were right- all I needed was some heavier projectiles. Thank you for the input.

I have the first Ruger American standard 22-250 with a 1:8 twist. A look at the Ruger website doesn’t shows they do not even offer a 22-250 in their standard or Gen 2 rifles anymore.

Mine shots 60 vmax fine.

On a side note, is the 22-250 falling out of favor? I notice that 22-250 ammo is hard to find (used to see 50 round varmint boxes all the time, none in long time now), and reduced factory offerings.

It could be, with all the new calibers meant to shoot heavy bullets long distances… I shoot 95% of my coyotes under 250 yards. The 22-250 with 55gr NBT literally drops them in there tracks almost always. I am a gun/gear guy but I just can’t justify changing to a 22 creed, 6 creed, 22 arc, etc. I just don’t see the point for me. We night hunt only here in PA and set up in a manner we are almost always within 300 yards of the cover…. On purpose.

I could understand needing a fast twist heavy bullet shooting gun out west, but around here it’s just not necessary

Shoots 60 gr vmax very well. Probably the 62 gr eld-vt, but haven't tried those...
I called Hornady about some load data for the ELD-VT. Said I needed a 1-7" to stabilize. And he couldn't even recommend a starting load in 22-250. Kinda disappointed by that but I get it.

I don't think you need a 1:7 to use the 62s even though they do have an upgraded design compared to everything else in that weight range from Hornady. I've shot them very well in all of my 8 twist, and 7.7s, I could see the 9 being a bit to slow though. I also understand Hornady's concern especially if you are using a can. BUT I have used 8 twist 18" barrels with suppressors with just as good of results as my 50s, 53s, 55s, and 60s.

Last edited:
Back