Well???

William Suter

I got a phone call this afternoon from my gunsmith/friend. Keep in mind, he's in his 80's, LOL! But seems he's at our gun club and has locked his keys in the truck. He has a spare in his wallet but its in the truck also. And so is his cell phone. So he borrows his buddies cell and calls me for some help. Now its a 15-20 mile drive to the club from my place so I head that way. When I get there he was going to call his wife before she went shopping but can't remember her cell phone number. Anyway, we head back to town, get to his house and wifey isn't home yet. While we are waiting, he gives me 100 once fired R-P 6mm Remington cases which I dearly needed. Wife shows up, grabs his spare keys and we head back to the club. We get to the club and get him unlocked and ready to leave and ask me if I had any use for an AR 15 upper?? IDK, what do you want for it? He said $50 and I'll buy your lunch. Heck of a deal. Now I have an upper (minus a bolt and charging handle) and absolutely no idea what I'm going to do with it. But it was an interesting afternoon.

Not being an avid AR guy I'm thinking buy some not so high quality parts and making a SHTF rifle. No optics, just open sights. A store in Tulsa has complete lowers for $119, bolt for around $80 plus a charge handle. Up and running for $250ish.

Since you're wanting a SHTF rifle on the cheap, you might try JoeBob's AR15 Grip Screw Trigger Adjuster
Can't beat the price and, while not equal to a Timney or many other aftermarket match triggers, it's a darn good hunting trigger for only $10 from a standard issue trigger, and I didn't bother to change the trigger springs.
In fact, a short allen head set screw same size as grip screw will do same thing, but is not externally adjustable. The set screw just pushes up the trigger tail to eliminate all the creep which is the main problem w/standard triggers.

Last edited:
Yep. All of mine have the RR triggers and I love them. But then again, I'm a 2-stage trigger fan. Never had any problems with RR triggers and some have 1,000s of rounds on them.
I'm no trigger guru but the standard AR single stage triggers suck! My Rock River ATH 2 stage is a great trigger. My Ruger MPR 2 stage isn't bad either.

Back