Can Coyotes see a laser ?

masshunter

I was out for a walk looking for turkeys an sign for the upcoming season. I wasn't hunting, but had along my Remington 1911, with my new Crimson Trace grips. Taking a break sitting against a tree I heard something walking and turned expecting to see turkey or deer. It was two mangy coyotes, tails almost hairless, and patchy body fur. I slipped the 45 out of the holster but couldn't move other than to raise it one handed. I lip squeaked and the first one ignored me but the second one started right for me at a trot until about 25 or 30 yards away then started moving its head around looking at me . Because of trees I had no clear body shot until it turned to go, and I let a shot off that looked good in the open sights, not the laser. I have mostly shot this gun at the 50' indoor range, so that was long for me. Anyway, it was the way it acted, most just turn and run if at all alerted. It was bright sun and I couldn't see the laser at all, but he acted just like a cat with a laser pointer. Anyone else ever use a laser sight ? Any thoughts on canine eyesight ? I know night hunters use red lights so I thought it wouldn't see the laser.

While I cannot speak on red lasers specifically, though coyotes can see regular red lense lights, they are not spooked by them to the extent they are spooked by white lights. I've night hunted coyotes with red lense lights a good bit. Put the main bright part of the light directly on them and they will spook, but keeping them at the edge of bright part doesn't seem to brother them much. Using red lense lights and calls, I've coaxed many within 30 yards of my position.

Back