Where is Dat Wascally Wabbit

DoubleUp

HOMAnimated (1).gif

Time is something we take for granted, but the reality is the only time we’re sure of is right now. So, we set our priorities for what we do with the time we have at that moment. Last night’s stand was where I intended to invest the time I had for sure. I parked a half mile away from my intended stand and rode my electric bike the rest of the way. I had scouted the prospective stand earlier in the afternoon and saw a good amount of scat along the road. My ride in was timed to get me to the stand just as twilight was turning to dark. The solitude of the night is always a welcome respite from the bustle of the day, and even more so by slipping in with the stealth of the electric bike. I spotted two coyotes already coming into the field before I could get my gear unpacked and setup. I would be standing with the tripod overlooking this harvested cornfield, and I had to make adjustments on my call placement so that I didn’t spook the coyotes. They were a little over 300 yds. and while I was placing the call I lost track of the coyotes.

When I got back to my rifle, I saw a target which I thought was where the coyotes should be. At this point I made a tactical error by staying on the riflescope rather than reverting to the scanner. The next thing I know the pair of coyotes comes tearing into my field of view looking for that pitiful rabbit. I shoot the big one and blow the bottom of his chest out, but he manages to turn and run 25 yds. with his heart exploded. The smaller of the two never stops to give me a shot, and no amount of coaxing is able to bring it back. I stay on the stand for 30 minutes enjoying the limited victory, but the stand is really done after the first 5 minutes.

This battle of wits with Wiley E. is always a thrill and a driving force that keeps me coming back for more. Did I invest my time wisely? Only the hunter can decide. The peace and tranquility of the night was worth the effort as I watched the night critters through the thermal. Even without the coyotes, it was intriguing to watch the night birds flittering about. Owls were also on the prowl swooping down for a kill on unsuspecting rodents as they scurried about at breakneck speed trying to avoid the teeth, claws, and talons that threatened every second of their limited existence from some predator. It was definitely better to be the hunter than the hunted.

#5b.jpg

Attachments

• #5b.jpg
    #5b.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:
Man, Owen that was up close and personal. It wasn't too long ago that second one would have folded also with one of your famous (in my mind anyhow) running shots. AND I am enjoying your stories.

Awesome! I’d be lying if I said I never made the same “tactical error”. Lol… I would say that your investment in time was a wise choice. I can’t wait to see more as the season unfolds. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks guys for the responses. Mike, I've about quit taking those running shots especially with the 22-250 bolt-action. I guess Korey talked me into waiting with the longer reach of the 250, but I must admit I think I could have killed that one on a straightaway shot pretty easily. I thought she might stop or even come back, but she was so close when the shot broke that it pushed her out of town.

Great story & video, Owen! Great job of getting on one that close as quickly as you did. Thanks for sharing.

As far as the "tactical error", at peril of being accused of plagiarism, all I can say is, you just have to think of "what can be, unburdened by what has been." Sorry, TDMMDI ;):devilish:

Yes Sir, V-max 50 gr. I hit him a little low, but got the heart anyway.

Clarence, you're way too smart to think I can be unburdened by what has been or can be. The "Preacher" said there is nothing new under the sun.

Tx, I know you must be itching to get after them.

You gotta keep that mute button close. I Usually pause the call when they get within 100 yards. They stop and try to figure out were that rabbit is. That’s usually the end of the line

Meg, as I mentioned, that was my tactical mistake. I should not have been on the rifle. Even though I thought that I was looking at a coyote, it was farther than I would have shot anyway. The narrower FOV of the scope and my focusing on the distant heat source prevented me from scanning and seeing that pair coming. They actually ran into my FOV with the scope. Had I seen them with the scanner, I would have stopped them earlier. Every stand is a learning experience in some way, good or bad.

Spot, I've never had a problem with the V-max. My shot was hurried and a bit low, but it still got the job done. Of course, most of my kills with the V-max have been with a 223 and the 50's which are running a lot slower at about 3,250 than the 250 at about 3,700 even with the 18 inch barrel. I shot the 58's a lot in the 243 and never had a problem with them.

DLR, you'll get yours. You always do! Just hang in there.

Thanks for the responses guys. I know we're all looking forward to cooler weather where you don't have to run a thermacell to keep the mosquitoes at bay.

DU, not saying the v max doesn't kill. Just low bullet entrance in the chest can/does result in pelt damage. Often a messy exit between the front legs that requires sewing.

Back