Well Crap

William Suter

Got out my old FX-3 last night and charged the batteries. Then I started messing with it today. I put a new 9 volt in the controller and the light immediately came on. That's strange. I turned on the caller and it went to call #12 and that's the same # as on the controller. I can't change calls or adjust the volume. Seems nothing on the controller is working so I disconnected the battery. Now I can change the calls manually on the unit but the speakers sound terrible. I guess its time to retire this old call and look for something new. If it could be repaired it would probably cost more than its worth. Any suggestions for a moderate priced caller? I don't need a high end caller with a zillion calls. Just the basics is good enough for me.

I know when shopping in the past, I avoided any remotes that took anything other than AA batteries.

I'm too invested in rechargeable lithium AA's to consider anything else.

Patriot uses AA in the remote . That said my Minaska used 9v and I the remote and if I took them out at the end of the season I could get a couple season is out of it.

I ordered the Patriot. Should be here next week. After I ordered it I went to Academy and saw another Fox Pro that is maybe a step up. It had more pre-recorded sounds than the Patriot but was also $50 more. Probably more calls than I will ever use. It may have come with a decoy but I don't remember if it did or not. But I have decoys. I really liked my FX3 with the dual speakers but nothing lasts forever.

Last edited:
The FX3 is a workhorse. Have used mine (upgraded to FX5) for many years. Once in a while have wished the remote had a little bit more range, but never saw any need to change.

IDK but I'd contact Foxpro CS and find out. I sent my FX3 in years ago and got the FX5 conversion done. Can't remember why now but the 5 had something I wanted that the 3 didn't.

My new Patriot is out for delivery. Hope its nice. If I found another controller for the FX3 will it be compatible or will it need to be programmed to my caller? Not that I would ever find one but if I did? Also, I'm still waiting on a reply from FoxPro about repairing mine. I hate to throw it in the trash but that may happen.

call and ask. its faster than an e-mail. :) the replaced the antenna on the remote for my patriot for free and it was out of warranty.

great people to deal with.

I got hold of FoxPro. They said if the board is bad they can't repair it but want me to send it in to be checked out. Nothing to loose but a little postage. I told them if they can't repair it to just keep it.

Patriot uses AA in the remote . That said my Minaska used 9v and I the remote and if I took them out at the end of the season I could get a couple season is out of it.

I'm going to use rechargeable batteries in the new Patriot. Do I have to remove them to recharge? The FX3 had a charging port and removing the batteries wasn't necessary.

On another note, I think I'm going to like this new caller. It seems pretty loud enough and has way more calls than I thought it came with. Probably more than is needed really. I like the lighted screen with the menu on it as opposed to the FX3 where they were on the back and hard to see in the dark. I do wish I would have help off buying the Patriot until FOXPRO looked at my unit. They said if they can't fix it they would send me a discount card towards a new one. To late for that. I already have my new unit.

I'm going to use rechargeable batteries in the new Patriot. Do I have to remove them to recharge? The FX3 had a charging port and removing the batteries wasn't necessary.
I just checked out the Patriot User Manual on the Foxpro website. It doesn’t appear that there is a charging port on the caller. Looks like the batteries will need to be removed to charge them.

Just a suggestion here Mr Suter, but if it were my caller I would order an extra battery holder and carry it with me on hunts loaded with a fresh set of batteries. The holder is $3.00 so not a big investment. I have a Fusion as my backup caller and always carried a loaded second pack. Having the second pack loaded with fresh batteries is much easier than replacing individual batteries in the field. You just unplug it like a 9volt battery and plug in another set. Here’s the link.

First off, My name is Bill. LOL, I'm old but your more than welcome to call me Bill. But thank you for your politeness.

User manual! You mean you read that stuff? LOL, I just start pushing buttons and see what happens. But a second battery carriage is a great idea. I bought a charger today and it came with 4 batteries and I had 8 so I'm good on batteries. At $3 each I may get a couple. Thanks for the tip!!

First off, My name is Bill. LOL, I'm old but your more than welcome to call me Bill. But thank you for your politeness.

User manual! You mean you read that stuff? LOL, I just start pushing buttons and see what happens. But a second battery carriage is a great idea. I bought a charger today and it came with 4 batteries and I had 8 so I'm good on batteries. At $3 each I may get a couple. Thanks for the tip!!
Well alright Bill… It is just how I was brought up. If I didn’t have your last name I’d probably have addressed you as Sir! Lol… Anyway, you’re welcome for the suggestion. I found the battery carriages invaluable being a night hunter.

I wasn’t familiar with the caller you have so I figured I’d do what I could to answer your question.

Back