The Dark Side of Ranching New Thermal Video

Alot of good shoot'in, but how many cows are you wintering. I have seen alot of cows, but nothing like that.
We don't just winter cattle we raise them all year, but I do hunt our neighbors ranches, the one RH25 visual that I show with thousands of cattle, is actually my friends feedlot, he had about 5k head, last winter.
They were constantly and very consistently spooking and breaking out. Every couple nights they had issues, so we posted up, watched and listened to the coyotes in and around his calves. We ended up killing a dozen or so (which isn't that many) but they were the ones that were in his herd causing the problems.

Just curious, James. Are you calling any or just baiting? If calling, when you walk through a bunch of cows and some alert, such as the ones that got up as you walked by in the video, do you wait to call (if so, how long) or do the cattle alerting seem to disturb the coyotes?

ETA: Baiting was a poor choice of words, more accurately, hunting bone yards/cattle pens (concentrations).

Last edited:
Thanks for answering James, sure is alot of cattle, & coyotes. You boys sure are good at shoot'in at the same time. I enjoyed watching.

When I think back to your original DVD, Predator Hunting Suppressed, it's crazy to see the production quality you create. That DVD was very good, but this latest video is next level stuff! Thanks for sharing James.

Just curious, James. Are you calling any or just baiting? If calling, when you walk through a bunch of cows and some alert, such as the ones that got up as you walked by in the video, do you wait to call (if so, how long) or do the cattle alerting seem to disturb the coyotes?

ETA: Baiting was a poor choice of words, more accurately, hunting bone yards/cattle pens (concentrations).

Great question.
We call about as often as we hunt our killboxes. I wouldn't disagree with your term baiting, it's what we are literally doing. I personally think calling is a tad easier, than setting up, sneaking in and trying to kill 2 or 3 coyotes sync'd, but I enjoy both methods.

To give you more details regarding your question, usually we have two objectives to work around, Calving, and Weaning. Calving Cows are usually docile, you may spook a couple that are laid up chewin their cud every once in a while, but most of the time when they have a calf in their belly they are very complacent when we are hunting within them. I have a few calling techniques I use that work really well when we are mobile inside a calving lot.
Weaned calves are a completely different story, pulled from their mother, stressed, and easily spooked, the best time to kill around them is the first few nights after they have been sorted. They're bawling everything is loud and you can get away with a lot. 3 or 4 days later when we chase the mommas back to the pasture and the calves are quiet, that's when a house cat walking through the lot causes a stamped, let alone a Coyote pair that rip off right beside the corral, once they get a good spook, they continue the trend as opposed to never being spooked. That takes some finesse, we do a lot of deliberate shooting, driving, walking, noise making around our calves the first couple weeks of weaning, in attempt to get them used to abnormalities, that they don't experience in the pasture. Usually within a few weeks if the calves have been conditioned properly it's not really a problem anymore. However, usually we use a buffer between us and the calves, as well as suppressors etc. to help with any drastically loud noises. We also take extraordinary precautions when helping neighbors with problems.

Thanks, James. The range cattle where I hunt are pretty darn wild if spooked; they're not used to interacting w/humans. I usually try not to get close enough to spook them and they'll give you away from several hundred yards. The good news is they often alert us to an inbound coyote from same distance.

Great question.
We call about as often as we hunt our killboxes. I wouldn't disagree with your term baiting, it's what we are literally doing. I personally think calling is a tad easier, than setting up, sneaking in and trying to kill 2 or 3 coyotes sync'd, but I enjoy both methods.

To give you more details regarding your question, usually we have two objectives to work around, Calving, and Weaning. Calving Cows are usually docile, you may spook a couple that are laid up chewin their cud every once in a while, but most of the time when they have a calf in their belly they are very complacent when we are hunting within them. I have a few calling techniques I use that work really well when we are mobile inside a calving lot.
Weaned calves are a completely different story, pulled from their mother, stressed, and easily spooked, the best time to kill around them is the first few nights after they have been sorted. They're bawling everything is loud and you can get away with a lot. 3 or 4 days later when we chase the mommas back to the pasture and the calves are quiet, that's when a house cat walking through the lot causes a stamped, let alone a Coyote pair that rip off right beside the corral, once they get a good spook, they continue the trend as opposed to never being spooked. That takes some finesse, we do a lot of deliberate shooting, driving, walking, noise making around our calves the first couple weeks of weaning, in attempt to get them used to abnormalities, that they don't experience in the pasture. Usually within a few weeks if the calves have been conditioned properly it's not really a problem anymore. However, usually we use a buffer between us and the calves, as well as suppressors etc. to help with any drastically loud noises. We also take extraordinary precautions when helping neighbors with problems.

I have noticed older cows in general do not spook and stampede nothing like a herd of heifers or steers.

Nice. Whats the 223 setup? Are you comfortable accuracy wise out to 400 with 223? I run an 18" 223/5.56 right now.
Bighorn Arms origin, with a Carbon 6iX 18" Heavy Bull 7.7 twist, Manners T5 running a 10rd Magpul AI mag. Let's just say it shoots better than we can.

Back