T/C Venture 223 Remington

William Suter

Went to a small show today looking for a light weight 223 in a bolt action. My 223 is a Sako with a heavy barrel and its to heavy for chasing coyotes unless its a short walk. I went Saturday and Sunday and there was not a single bolt action 223. One guy had a singe shot Rossi and another guy had a T/C Contender and that was it. I knew Bass Pro had a T/C Venture in 223 in the used rack as I've seen it several times in the last month so I took a trip out there to give it a closer look. Turns out they still had the rifle and its original box so I did the forever paper work, (it takes forever out there) and brought it home. Further inspection looks like the rifle has never been shot. It may be another Davidson's rifle, who knows. One bad thing, the trigger guard was broken. After a little haggling, I got them to knock off $75 from the price so I got the rifle at a decent price and other than the trigger guard its very nice. Reviews say its a solid rifle and accuracy is good. A little super glue fixed the trigger guard and if it comes loose I'll use some epoxy next time. I got ucky and had bases and a nice little Nikon 3x9 setting on the shelf so its ready to go. Just need to load a few rounds for a range trip.

Thompson center has been bought and is on its way back. Given a little time, maybe you can buy new trigger guard and replace. Or maybe they will warranty it???

I wasn’t sure if that was the case when I was typing. IF they produce those stocks again maybe you can aquire one.

I looked at this rifle several times before buying it and never noticed the guard being broken. I think, but can't say for sure, that it got broke when they took it in the back of the store to find the box. It got me $75 off the price and was an easy repair if it holds. There may be used stocks for sale on the internet. I just haven't looked. I'm going to try to not spend any more money on this rifle than I have to. LOL, famous last words.

My TC Venture in 223/5.56 is my most accurate rifle. I handload 75gr Hornady BTHP with 25gr of LVR to an OAL of 2.360. it shoots everything great.
I love the stock it's solid, a bit heavy. I like the 1 in 9 5R rifling, maybe the reason why it shoots heavier bullets so good.
I found a 6 shot magazine from some company on the net for $59.00, works well. I have taken deer with it & the 75gr Hornady, shh, it a great deer bullet. It almost stacks 60gr V-max & 69gr RMR BTHP's on top of each other.
I see it's got some kind of coating on the metal, Weather Sheild or some such. Trigger is crisp. Barrel is threaded. Good luck with yer's.
This one rifle I was happy with right outta the box.

Last edited:
I thought the Venture in 223 had a 12 twist???

I just checked mine with a tight patch. For sure its a 12 twist 5R barrel.
I thought the Venture in 223 had a 12 twist???

I just checked mine with a tight patch. For sure its a 12 twist 5R barrel.
Might be but not in 223. Mine is I in 9, 5R. Checked by me. It would never shoot 75gr Hornady 's into an inch with a 1 in 12. You're thinking of the 22-250.

I own the rifle. Its setting on my table. And it is most definitely a 223. Says so right on the barrel. I checked the bore with a Dewey Rod and a very tight patch, which I've done many many times, and its most definitely a 1-12 twist barrel. Internet search will tell you the same. I'm not saying your isn't a 1-9, just saying mine is a 1-12.

Last edited:
I put about 40 handloads using Tac and Shooters World and results weren't that great. I haven't had a lot of luck with Tac in the past so it didn't disappoint. I was hoping the SW would do a little better than it did cause I have two pounds of it and hoping to use it up. I have some 50 grain BlitzKings and CFE 223 to try next time out. I usually have pretty good results with this combo. Groups have been decent but I'm pretty anal and decent isn't good enough. LOL

I own the rifle. Its setting on my table. And it is most definitely a 223. Says so right on the barrel. I checked the bore with a Dewey Rod and a very tight patch, which I've done many many times, and its most definitely a 1-12 twist barrel. Internet search will tell you the same. I'm not saying your isn't a 1-9, just saying mine is a 1-12.
Well, cool beans. You got an old one. They put I in 9's in all the later ones. They wised up about the twist & still went under. New owner is going try to bring TC back.

Back