Scope Shuffle

AWS

Retired PM Staff
Getting ready for the hunting season and it's scope shuffle time. How did I feel about the combination the way it was last year, did the scope perform the way I expected and did it match my expectations from the rifle. New rifle in the mix, should I steal from one of my existing rigs or look into something different.

I stole the scope from my 6x45 and put it on the new 6mm ARC (2-12x42) and put a Burris SS 1.5-6x40 on the 6x45. The ARC will be used in more open country. The Burris is an odd scope weird tube spacing and a large wart on the underside than needed the one piece mount relieved to be able to mount the scope. I love the power range, FOV and reticle on it, I've killed a number of coyotes with it but for some reason it gets shuffled a lot. I think it might be the turrets so far forward on the tube give it a strange look.

Now to sight them in. The city just opened a new LE range and gave civilians use three days a week, great benches and goes 50 to 500 yards. So far it has been like a private range, only one other shooter.

I just did the 'scope shuffle', and removed a Vortex Diamondback 4x12x40, from the Ruger M77 22 Hornet and put it on the Model 70 (1966 mfr) in 30-06, and took the Made in Japan Tasco off that and put it on a Rem 22lr bolt gun.

The '06 with the Tasco has shot well for years, but I got lucky and drew a Bull Moose tag for Colorado, and wanted to upgrade the scope.

Long story short, I ran out of windage with the Vortex, with the 168gr TTSX still shooting about 4-5" to the right. After maxing the windage, I shot again, and the same load now shoots about 8-9" low, 1" left. And, no, I did not touch the elevation, only the windage, and the elevation changed so drastically.

I took a 4x12x42 Burris Signature I had sitting around, and put it on the '06 today, and it also is near the end of it's windage. I'll shoot tomorrow and if it doesn't work, I'll either get windage bases and just go back to the Tasco.

As an aside, I got the Made in Japan Tasco as a present in the early 80's, and was impressed enough with it, that I bought another World Class model, from Ebay in the early 90's.
The 2nd one was made in Taiwan. What a piece of crap that 2nd one was, the glass was cloudy, not even close to the Japan version.

Lesson learned.

Back