NON VOCAL COYOTES?

NT09

Just started coyote hunting about 3 months ago. Have had pretty good success managed to kill several and had a few stands where managed to call them in but either missed the shot or couldn’t manage to get a shot on coyote on a dead run. My question is why haven’t the coyotes been vocalizing responding to the call? Is it normal for them to not bark, yip or howl and just show up in silence? I’m hunting near the TN/KY line.

Just started coyote hunting about 3 months ago. Have had pretty good success managed to kill several and had a few stands where managed to call them in but either missed the shot or couldn’t manage to get a shot on coyote on a dead run. My question is why haven’t the coyotes been vocalizing responding to the call? Is it normal for them to not bark, yip or howl and just show up in silence? I’m hunting near the TN/KY line.
They got free cell phones from Joe Biden!!!

Not uncommon in my area for coyote not to bark,howl back at electronic calls. Now a good hand call is typically responded (howl)back at.

Heck, that’s what got me into hunting them. Hit the caller and they respond. I have noticed less howling during the late Spring months. I’ve even had them show up barking at the caller while coming in.

Here in sw PA that is the norm except for the months of aug and sept. They seem to answer a lot then. I think it is because of dispersal. Don’t know about oct until late nov cause i am bowhunting then. THAT BEING SAID, the majority that come to the call do so w/o responding! Also, i do most of my single howling on a diaphragm or open reed. Pair and group howls come out of the icotec.

The vast majority come in silently. When I do get a reply it is usually if not always just about sundown for the last stand of the day and they just call me names and don't come in. I suspect we've been seen or heard coming in.

When I use coyote vocals, typically starting in January, they come in without a sound. I only hunt daytime.

Typically, a pair will come in, with one stopping as soon as she can see my calling area, while the male continues to come in. When I hunt by myself, I shoot the furthest one first, as she is a standing shot, and then I shoot (or shoot at, lol), the now departing male. I figure its easier to hit a running coyote at 30 yards than at 150yds.

Ready for a fight or play, make noise. Looking for cheap dinner, no sound.
Edit: Fri nite one sat in the brush looking at the feeder waiting for 'dinner'. Heard a lot of howling at dusk, then quiet. About an hour after dark (no moon) saw it at the base of a tree and took a while to recognize it was not the tree. I think I watched it for 5 min after I realized it was and animal. Only shook it's head to ward off the flying bugs. Even after 3 shots at it, never made a sound. HOT summer night.

Last edited:
How are you calling them in? Most of the ones I call in come in silently after lonely howls. They seem to really get riled up if using pair or group howls. As with anything else, there are exceptions.

Just started coyote hunting about 3 months ago. Have had pretty good success managed to kill several and had a few stands where managed to call them in but either missed the shot or couldn’t manage to get a shot on coyote on a dead run. My question is why haven’t the coyotes been vocalizing responding to the call? Is it normal for them to not bark, yip or howl and just show up in silence? I’m hunting near the TN/KY line

I can’t speak for your area because all yotes are different depending on their surroundings.
When pups are younger and vulnerable to predation yotes tend to be less vocal. Seems like they don’t want to draw attention to their family unit. Their territories appear to shrink up limiting travel.

Back